P500 Who hauls their P500/P520 in a pickup bed?

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
I can relate to your situation and preferences. Ten years ago I bought my first utv for the primary purpose of working on hunting property, specifically food plots. Intended for it to be my tractor. My first and most important criteria for the utv was width because I was going to haul in pickup rather than tow in trailer. (No other need for trailer, no interest in one or space to store one.) I quickly learned that no utv would fit in my Tacoma so planned to replace it with a Tundra. I purchased an American Sportworks (now American LandMaster) utv with 48" width to fit between the Tundra's 50" wheel well to wheel well space. Used that utv for almost 10 years and a customized golf cart (The Beast) for the last 4 years, always hauled in the bed of my Tundra. Utv/cart rear wheels slightly forward of mid-tailgate.

Earlier this year I decided to upgrade to a new utv and chose the 520 because it met the same criteria - to fit in my Tundra bed (50" space). The old utv and cart served me very well but in the month I've had the 520 I'm very gratified with the upgrade. Never experienced a problem with Tundra tailgate, cables, etc. but have taken the utv upgrade occasion to replace my 10 year old ramp and ratchet straps. Have also ordered a Gate King tailgate adjuster to either replace or supplement (if both will fit) the tailgate cables for strength, for my assurance/peace-of-mind rather than for tailgate adjustability.

All that said, if you prefer to haul rather than tow a utv it most definitely is doable. I've done it for 10 years. My arrangement is very similar to HUCK's as pictured. (The tailgate support bars he uses aren't available for Toyotas.)

Good luck -

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Older truck even the 1000-5 goes in nicely. But they were much bigger bed all the way around.
Personally hate trailering and we’d gotten out of it for a couple years even with 2 Sxs’s. Now back to trailer😞

00A38960 F96B 43D5 BEBE B5F5293A07CC

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Follow-up question, aren't there some kind of in-bed mini ramps that would allow you to drive over the wheel wells instead of between them? I would think that'd really open up my SXS width options, as long as I had the height clearance. Possibly even allowing for a smaller (less than full-size) pickup? It'd be a compromise over those, probably expensive, over the bed options. Keep in mind, I'd only be hauling the SXS and ramps needed to get in on and off. Space for other cargo in the bed wouldn't be a factor.
Your tailgate opening is no more than 60.5" on any of the big 3 full size truck beds. I hauled my P500 in my F350 8' bed and had a 100 gal aux tank. Used tailgate supports and works fine. Probably could get away with 6.75' bed in the same manner.

Pioneer 500 8 7 15 zpshsuhnvp8

Recommend using tailgate supports as discussed here:

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Your tailgate opening is no more than 60.5" on any of the big 3 full size truck beds. I hauled my P500 in my F350 8' bed and had a 100 gal aux tank. Used tailgate supports and works fine. Probably could get away with 6.75' bed in the same manner.

View attachment 302829

Recommend using tailgate supports as discussed here:

Is the 100 gallon tank what's in the front of the bed? Without it, looks
Older truck even the 1000-5 goes in nicely. But they were much bigger bed all the way around.
Personally hate trailering and we’d gotten out of it for a couple years even with 2 Sxs’s. Now back to trailer😞

View attachment 302828

like you could maybe even close the tailgate?

View attachment 302828
I like this. Really nice looking truck too!

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1996 F350 here. Tailgate off P500 fits in an 8’ bed. Tailgate won’t close by an inch or two. With two inch spacers all around it was very tight between the wheel wells. If it was your only hauling method I’d stick with 1” or 1 1/2” max wheel spacers (or wider stance between spacers and any rim offset changes you do) to make life easier loading it.

Buy quality ramps for the process too. I have folding aluminum 10’ Titan Ramps quad beams rated at 3k pound combined max weight.

I can grab pics of it loaded in the truck and links to the ramps if you would like.

1996 F350 here. Tailgate off P500 fits in an 8’ bed. Tailgate won’t close by an inch or two. With two inch spacers all around it was very tight between the wheel wells. If it was your only hauling method I’d stick with 1” or 1 1/2” max wheel spacers (or wider stance between spacers and any rim offset changes you do) to make life easier loading it.

Buy quality ramps for the process too. I have folding aluminum 10’ Titan Ramps quad beams rated at 3k pound combined max weight.

I can grab pics of it loaded in the truck and links to the ramps if you would like.
Yes, I'd like to see those. Thanks.

Reactions: WagginTail
S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m using the truck I have that was bought back in my ATV/Pilot/Odyssey days.
If I was paying money for a truck I would get a long bed.
I don’t like putting weight on the tailgate, 600lb Odyssey bent the cable brackets riding with the rear wheels on the tail gate.
I have a support that fits in the receiver I got off another member here (I think the company is out of business now).

I think a SxS can drive over the wheel wells in a truck bed.
I think it was @CumminsPusher maybe he will check in.

View attachment 302633

FYI I started using my ATV ramp and the p500 started to tear the rungs off.
I switched to a set of aluminum car ramps.
I like that I can (maybe) drive over the wheel wells, but would definitely get a headache rack, no matter what truck I get, just so I don't smash out the back window.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These three show it all pretty well I think.
And for the record that strap wasn’t how I hauled it except to drive it to the garage behind the house.
View attachment 302857View attachment 302858View attachment 302859
I love how it fits, and the spare tire up front as a bumper. Doesn't the 520's dump bed extend farther back than the 500's rack? Also, why'd you back it in? Do you secure the ramp to the hitch with a strap, because I don't see it secured in any way in the bottom photo.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love how it fits, and the spare tire up front as a bumper. Doesn't the 520's dump bed extend farther back than the 500's rack? Also, why'd you back it in? Do you secure the ramp to the hitch with a strap, because I don't see it secured in any way in the bottom photo.
Yes I strap the ramps to the safety chain spots of the hitch during load/unload. The ramp was just staged there to show someone the angle of my 10’ ramps.

Back in…personal preference. I’ve done both. I ultimately liked backing in with a spare tire leaned in the corners behind each of the wheels. (Full set of factory take offs bought on the cheap so I carry them for weekend or longer trips). The winch was too close to the glass for me pulling in.

500 v 520 … no idea. Haven’t seen a 520 yet.

advertisement
Garbageman

Garbageman

Dec 6, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I keep thinking a fifth wheel tailgate with a notch would be the way to get the tailgate to shut on an 8' bed. Back it in, put the front bumper in the notch, shut tailgate. I haven't looked all that hard for a used one for my 06 350 with a long bed though, I normally just strap the tailgate shut, then hook up the camper. Also wondered if a set of car ramps in the back would be enough angle to get the gate to slam shut.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JakeLemon

Feb 24, 2021
Boise
Ownership

1. 500
I see some examples of pickup beds that will accomodate a P 500. I used to have one with tracks that I drove into the 8' bed of my '95 Dodge Ram. I just drove over the wheel wells. With wheels, would probably have to build little 2"x8" ramps to get over wheel wells.

9FBandit

Feb 3, 2021
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I bought a Pioneer 520 because it would fit in my 2017 F150 with a 6.5' bed. I have some 8' folding aluminum ramps that I use to load it. I bought some tailgate support braces off Amazon for piece of mind because i have to leave the tailgate down when I haul it. I also had to install rubber bump stops on the rear suspension to keep it from sagging too much. Now I can haul the Pioneer, and with an 18" hitch extension I can tow my 24' camp trailer with ease. Not the ideal set up, but it has worked very well for me.

R

rmarsh

May 28, 2021
courtenay
Ownership

1. 500
Hi there, I own a 2019 P 500 and haul it around in an ford with an 8 ft box. For long trips I made tailgate support brackets that
utilize the tailgate latch and striker studs enabling the tailgate to 3/4 close. For short trips I ratchet strap the little fella in using anchor points with in the box leaving the tailgate down. No worries what so ever.

Reactions: Mudder and KyGal83
S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
My son has Mad Ramps to load his Polaris Razr 570- Loves them. Please do not, under any circumstances, purchase a Chinese made side by side. It will be the one of the most expensive purchases you will ever make as it will not perform, give you any joy and will constantly be out of service due to breakdowns, lack of parts availability and general shoddy workmanship. Resale value will be nil. My 2017 Pioneer 500 has just short of 9,000 fun filled, never broke down miles on it.

Reactions: JenElio and TxDoc
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'm there with you, except I trailer mine whenever possible. However, to be able to haul the P500 and my bumper pull, I needed to load it in the bed.

Here is my set up. I also have and recommend the wide titan ramps (9' or 10') and the tailgate supports and some quality straps.

Next on my list are airbags for the truck. Eventually, I'll get a toyhauler, but until then...

20210724 155734 20210721 143351

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!