P500 Who hauls their P500/P520 in a pickup bed?

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I really appreciate everyone's input on this thread. So here's a follow-up question...how do you store your ramps? I assume they're stored either underneath or next to your UTV in the pickup bed. But how do you secure the ramps when you're out on the trail and the ramps are left behind in your pickup? How do you keep them from being stolen?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really appreciate everyone's input on this thread. So here's a follow-up question...how do you store your ramps? I assume they're stored either underneath or next to your UTV in the pickup bed. But how do you secure the ramps when you're out on the trail and the ramps are left behind in your pickup? How do you keep them from being stolen?
I use a coated cable or sheathed chain lock. Keep the honest peeps honest type thing but if someone wants them they’ll have them quickly.

My ramps both slide under the P5 but only because of the spacers. Without the spacers the ramps wouldn’t fit width wise beside each other. Could easily put them in over the wheel well of the truck though and strap them in.

Reactions: trigger
S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I use a coated cable or sheathed chain lock. Keep the honest peeps honest type thing but if someone wants them they’ll have them quickly.

My ramps both slide under the P5 but only because of the spacers. Without the spacers the ramps wouldn’t fit width wise beside each other. Could easily put them in over the wheel well of the truck though and strap them in.
Because I'm now leaning towards a flatbed vs. a standard pickup (to open up my options for UTV size ranges), the empty flatbed with ramps exposed would just be sitting there for anyone to take. In the bed of a pickup, they'd be just as easy to steal, but would at least be somewhat concealed from anyone who wasn't actively looking for an opportunity. Would folding ramps fit behind the seats in the cab? I don't want an extended cab truck, but that might be a good reason to change my mind.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Because I'm now leaning towards a flatbed vs. a standard pickup (to open up my options for UTV size ranges), the empty flatbed with ramps exposed would just be sitting there for anyone to take. In the bed of a pickup, they'd be just as easy to steal, but would at least be somewhat concealed from anyone who wasn't actively looking for an opportunity. Would folding ramps fit behind the seats in the cab? I don't want an extended cab truck, but that might be a good reason to change my mind.
I’ve seen peeps worried about trailer ramps lay their ramps behind their trailer tires and backup onto the ramps. Not like pretty much every vehicle ever sold isn’t equipped with a jack.

The reality here is if someone is out looking to take stuff they are going to. Any countermeasure you take is just to get them to pick an easier target or to keep the honest honest.

My ramps wouldn’t fit across the interior of my truck if I tried it (I haven’t tried but I know even folded they are too long). But ramps come in more than one length so you might buy a shorter set that would.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't know if anyone else has the dubious honor of doing this but I had a Honda 400 Foreman years ago and had some ramps to load it in the back of a Ford ranger and as I was easing it up the ramps the tires started slipping and would not go in the bed and I tried several times and every time it would hang up And I would have to back back down,I thought well I will give it more gas and still yet the mud covered tires would not go off in the bed and I would have to back down again.

Well I said to hell with this, it is going in this time and give it ALOT more gas and sure enough it went right on up into the bed and through the sliding back glass !!
It was a cold almost 100 mile trip home !!
and almost $300.00 to replace the Back Glass.
Think I will stick with a trailer

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know if anyone else has the dubious honor of doing this but I had a Honda 400 Foreman years ago and had some ramps to load it in the back of a Ford ranger and as I was easing it up the ramps the tires started slipping and would not go in the bed and I tried several times and every time it would hang up And I would have to back back down,I thought well I will give it more gas and still yet the mud covered tires would not go off in the bed and I would have to back down again.

Well I said to hell with this, it is going in this time and give it ALOT more gas and sure enough it went right on up into the bed and through the sliding back glass !!
It was a cold almost 100 mile trip home !!
and almost $300.00 to replace the Back Glass.
Think I will stick with a trailer
I’ve seen videos on YouTube of that happening. I personally was a dumbass once and didn’t strap my ramps…that ended with me flat on my back with a quad on top of me.

Lesson learned…I always take the time to strap the ramps now.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500

Well, if somebody really wants to steal your stuff, they gonna do it. With a flatbed, you should be able to get some tiedown/lockdown points somewhere, I'd say either go with a cable or chain and lock, or else measure out how thick the ramps are and go with a big-ass padlock. I know there are some with a 5" or more shackle length.
Look into ways that contractors lock down the 50 ladders they carry on the ladder-racks on their trucks.

Personally, I'd recommend Paclock brand locks. (No affiliation, just a fan). Pacific Lock Co, made in USA. Re-keyable cores, pick-resistant etc etc. I have mine setup so I can use 1 master key on my truck toolbox, hitch lock, trailer tongue lock, trailer toolbox lock, chain padlock, and I have a lock ready for whenever I finally get a nice toolbox for my P500.
Makes things a ton easier VS keychain fulla different keys, but just hope you dont lose your 1 key to open them all.

1damworker

Nov 16, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
pioneer 500 in a long bed 2006 ram 2500 with ladder rack that i incorporated a 6'
IMG 0294
ramp that bolts to existing bumper holes with hinged pivot that raises and is retained via ladder rack and still pulls a 25 foot travel trailer. works perfect. of course the tailgate is removed

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve found best to back in, this tailgate deck saves the tailgate and provides more room if you have a drybox. My drybox is a custom fuel cell drybox. Lastly when traveling on rough roads tie the wheels down, ratchet straps will fall off if you tie the body because machine suspension will compress on large bumps.
Cheers.

5F1BD2F3 FF5E 414F 89AC 6FF9BF049D2C
96505921 18AB 4568 9E19 2B00656BBD8B 3B6C198D 5407 47C1 B93F F38B1F34CE2A FD32F2A1 43BF 4634 931D 8D524AA4CEC9

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Man... there are times when I wish I would've gotten a bigger truck. Ya'll with these pics, throwing an extra 1200lbs in the back, and the truck's not even squatting, like it's thinkin "What, is that all? I thought you said this was gonna be heavy"

But then I look at how small my wallet and garage are, and remember there were reasons I got a midsize truck. 😆

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
advertisement
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
@hallic, reason why above tan/white truck doesn’t squat is I’ve added Dana 60 solid axle front end with super duty springs and on the rear air bags… heh. Also in the combo drybox is 50 gallon fuel cell and under the truck replaced stock tank with 32 gallon poly tank from Super duty CCSB truck. So total diesel capacity is over 100 imperial gallons, that combined with other gear and UTV puts it “close” to max GVWR. Having it ride level due to air bags prevents the authorities from picking on me and lights are level too.
cheers

H

hondahunter

Nov 24, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I use the Rizerback truck-bed rack. Works well in my 8 foot bed F250. Had to saw off 1 inch of the tail pipe so the bed door closes but no issue. I just wedge a small pillow to protect the bed door from the pipe when I close it. Connected to my trailer I have full turning radius, too. Rizerback Racks | Innovative carrier racks for ATV/UTV/Motorcycles

Make sure to pad the window tail light. I broke mine once even though the Rizerback frame prevents that I ran up the ramp a bit fast. A slow creep is the trick. Just put the P500 in 4X4 and take your time driving up. Fun the first time but you get used to it!

Trailer ATV 2 Trailer ATV 1

N

Ncflemm

Jan 10, 2022
Sunset Hills
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 500

3. 520
Besides considering buying a P500/520, I'm also looking at what used pickup to buy to haul it around. Because a) I can't back a trailer, b) have nowhere to store a trailer, c) Don't want to register a trailer, etc. I'm basing my future SXS purchase exclusively on whether or not it will fit in a pickup bed. Although I'm leaning towards a P500/520, I'm still also considering one of the numerous small Chinese-built SXSs sold by Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc. for the very same reason--they're small and inexpensive. Massimo comes to mind. Anyone driving a larger SXS and utilizing those ramps that go OVER the truckbed? I'm very eager to her suggestions, likes/dislikes, etc. I'm still in the research phase and very open minded.
2016 F-250, 6.5ft bed, 48” wheel well to wheel well. DG tailgate supports 👍🏻.

600A5D8E 1971 4058 B4F5 C5DE3CAD28DF

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Find a truck you like and get a flat bed put on it. Idk about prices now but 2 years ago a CM bed was around $5000-$6000
That
Get a long bed truck with a flat bed. You would definitely have more options for choosing a sxs. You can get flat beds that are 9' long
I just installed a CM aluminum bed on my 2017 chevy truck. I have not had a chance to haul my P500 yet. Love the flatbed and wish I would have had it when the truck was new.
CM AL RD flatbed on 2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Dually

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That

I just installed a CM aluminum bed on my 2017 chevy truck. I have not had a chance to haul my P500 yet. Love the flatbed and wish I would have had it when the truck was new.View attachment 346372
Very nice. I like that aluminum. I went with steel but the black bed looks better on my truck anyway
20220701 075011

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!