P1000 Who would Buy the Pioneer Again

O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
It's pretty descent at a lot of things, not the best at anything! I need all of the seating so it's really the only game in town, unless you don't mind a bus. I would buy another , but I get piss ed off ag the jerky trans some days. Going on 2000 miles in 2 summers,no problems.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
This is my first SxS and won't be my last if I could start from scratch I would opt for the Polaris General 4 seater. The ride is plush, roomy, no toasted buns even with a roof and full windshield. I like the Honda but the heat issue debacle with Honda initially denying it left me with mixed feelings. I stand by Honda products and the Pioneer is a great idea I wonder if it was rushed overlooking small problems to get it on the market.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Absolutely, the only negative I have is how top heavy it is. It is the only machine that fits where it is. Love the ability to select gears and not dealing with belts. The maintenance schedule is much better than any other machine out there. Great on the farm and great on the trials.

Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Absolutely I would buy it again. My only wish...... a different option for the front seat, something a little more bucket-like, without having to make major modifications. Love the thing. Great for family, grandkids, goes anywhere I want to go, and no mechanical issues at all with just shy of 1000 miles.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I would definitely buy it again for using around the Farm I like it.

For high elevation rock crawling or mud bogging I would look really hard at the 2018 Ranger the Pioneer is geared to high even in its stock form
Honda needs to lower the gearing or add more horse power I prefer both.

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re a family of 5, it’s your only option that’s not 25’ long. So until someone comes up with a more performance based machine. The pioneer will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This - period the end for my family. I was not lugging around in a 25’ ranger to get high centered on the next ant hill or hang up the rear quarter squeezing through a gate.

They all have problems. The grass is always greener, right? Nah, I’d still buy mine again, even with its imperfections (WHICH are largely now resolved).

Lower gearing in L and R - I think that’s my feedback for Honda.

advertisement
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hell I'd buy 2 if i could go back and do it again. One to beat and one to cruise the family around in. Im too broke from accessories to buy another now.
@GlockMeister, @Tigermark is leaving his 3 seater at my house for takeover next year. Just come over and beat on his... that's what I'm going to do.;)

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@GlockMeister, @Tigermark is leaving his 3 seater at my house for takeover next year. Just come over and beat on his... that's what I'm going to do.;)
I’m thinking a video of the Donfather crossing the small pond would be a worthy test for @Tigermark 3 seater! Make sure to get it on video;)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes, I would buy one again. Especially the 3rd model year with all the little revisions Honda has made since the original model year. Users have used this machine in far more diverse manners than was originally imagined.

Is the P1K the perfect end all be all SXS no, but it does do so many things very well and easily. The handling in tight trails is awesome with the ability to take the whole family or just a buddy and a ton of gear.

I have learned a lot from this machine as well, what it can and cannot do. Becoming familiar with both the good and bad characteristics is part of the process to fully appreciate the machines diverse capabilities.

I do like it enough that I am trading my 2016 P1K5D for a 2018 P1K5LE, to take advantage of the improvements and better suspension.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If i could get away with a 2 seat, I would be most likely in a Wolverine R-Spec. but since I need 5 seats, Honda Is the only one I like and would buy it again.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If i could get away with a 2 seat, I would be most likely in a Wolverine R-Spec. but since I need 5 seats, Honda Is the only one I like and would buy it again.
Ditto. The Spec is an incredible machine but seems to really fail at the 5 seat thing that the Pioneer does so well lol.

Last edited:
B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I would buy another PK5 if something were to happen to mine. I was just in that position a week ago (or close anyway). I sold my Pioneer 700-4 for $100.00 less than I payed for it. I could have chosen any SXS I wanted and picked the
I had an R-Spec before my first Pioneer. It was ok, but the loud whine noise from the CVT and all the other noise from it drove me crazy.
After I sold my 700-4 I thought about looking at the new X4, but no turf mode and the looks of it turned me off. I am extremely happy with the PK5 and would differently buy another one.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!