Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If I had the money and room I’d buy a second one or the sport when it comes out.

Heat is relative, you’ll never agree on that discussion. I’m in the hot humid south and I just take my windshield off in the summer. Move and it’s suddenly cooler I almost never run my bilge fan. I also dislike riding in groups more than 3-5 unless they can ride at a good clip, because you inchworm along

Some of the heat problems maybe a 5:30 ride, meaning ride for 5, shoot s***, drink beer, and idle with the radio bumping for 30. I’m more if a ride for 60 stop for 10 or maybe 5 to chat and keep going. I’m there to ride, we can shoot s***, drink beer and eat food at the house.

If someone wants to ride a utility/recreational machine like a sport machine without the benefit of the upgraded shocks and extra 30” of wheelbase, you’re going to hear, horrible suspension and it bottoms out over jumps.

Clutch has a fix that solves the problem and keeps all but the most determined of bad drivers from delaminating a clutch. High and low are there for a reason, people that burn up a pre-update clutch mudding in high are gonna burn a belt in high as well.

Mud, Rocks, steep tough trails, towing/carrying a heavy load....LOW because you can’t run 40 through deep mud, and if you can that’s not mud that’s a wet dirt road.

Easy trails, carrying passengers or pavement ... HIGH

You should buy the machine that fits your riding style but because it doesn’t, does not mean the machine is bad it means the fit is bad.

I’m glad they solved the clutch problem, but it stinks that Honda Corporate won’t release the Sport anytime soon because there are a lot of people who want the Honda reliability but are forced to go elsewhere to find a sport machine to fit their riding style.

It does work extremely well as a solid recreational machine, considering what it is designed for is more utility with a side of recreation. 75% of the hours on mine are working hours 75% of the miles are Recreational. I would like a sport but what I use it for mostly is working around the property and I can’t afford two so I compromised with the riding style and slow down (in the rough stuff)enough I’m not ripping the a-arms off the machine.

Upgrade shocks and it’s faster in rough terrain as well.

BUT REPEAT AFTER ME “ITS.....STILL..... NOT..... A.....SPORT.....MACHINE!”
HA! that 150%!

Reactions: Logan
M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it seems like a lot of these forum readers would buy the pioneer again. I would like to compare it to the new Yamaha Woverine x4. Sure the Yamaha does not have a dump bed, but a person might feel better about the transmission, plus the doors look like they might seal better than the Honda? Thanks for all the feed back, I normally just read the comments on here.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it seems like a lot of these forum readers would buy the pioneer again. I would like to compare it to the new Yamaha Woverine x4. Sure the Yamaha does not have a dump bed, but a person might feel better about the transmission, plus the doors look like they might seal better than the Honda? Thanks for all the feed back, I normally just read the comments on here.

The Pioneer has a tilt bed for access to the engine it is not a small dump truck and it will not tilt at rated bed capacity with just the gas charged strut. The transmission is by far the coolest feature that separates it from the competition as opposed to the Yamaha having a CVT. The doors sealing was never something I wanted or expected. The intriguing part about the Yamaha is definitely the full size rear seats but the small engine and low top speed puts it more on par with the Pioneer 700. The spec sheet definitely makes it a too little too late kind of machine amongst the Pioneer and General

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wouldn't say the doors are much tighter but build quality is really good. If something goes wrong with the x4 powertrain it'll be a lot cheaper to fix. Should compare in most aspects however top speed is a bit of a bummer. Trade offs either way I'd really recommend riding both if possible but unlike some I wouldn't throw General into the mix you can just feel the cheapness of that rig.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Everyone uses there machine differently so what is a plus for one is considered a negative for another.

I for one see a rubber door seal as good for a heated and air conditioned, sunny day use toy, cheap and easy for the manufacture but a negative in the real world work machine for my use. 1 as mud in the door jam will cut it to ribbons it does on are farm truck 2 left out in freezing rain or used in freezing mud they freeze shut and tear off.

Another thing I like about my Pioneer that gets a lot of negative reviews is the tail gate, I like the fact that the tail gate does not lay flat when you put something in the bed the slight angle of the tail gate will keep it from rattling out very functional but not cool looking. 2 is the latches they work and will not wear out, compare that with a one handed linkage system that get jammed any sticky after a few years

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
The Pioneer has a tilt bed for access to the engine it is not a small dump truck and it will not tilt at rated bed capacity with just the gas charged strut. The transmission is by far the coolest feature that separates it from the competition as opposed to the Yamaha having a CVT. The doors sealing was never something I wanted or expected. The intriguing part about the Yamaha is definitely the full size rear seats but the small engine and low top speed puts it more on par with the Pioneer 700. The spec sheet definitely makes it a too little too late kind of machine amongst the Pioneer and General
For me the Honda Pioneer 1000 and the Yamaha X4 were my top two choices, after driving both, the yamaha was the clear winner for me. Engine wise there’s only 3 horsepower difference between the machines. Also for my use, trail riding in tight trails the yamaha out performed the Honda. What really impressed me the most was just how quiet and smooth the yamaha was, I could easily talk to my kids in the back cruising at 30mph. Also the cab system on the x4 I feel surpasses the best cabs I’ve seen. I would give the edge to the Honda in suspension, but only on the le model. I’ve waited for 3 years for Honda to get the bugs worked out and I believe they have, but with the intro of the x4 it changed my plans. I feel both are quality machines, but if your in the market give the Yamaha X4 a good look.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't say the doors are much tighter but build quality is really good. If something goes wrong with the x4 powertrain it'll be a lot cheaper to fix. Should compare in most aspects however top speed is a bit of a bummer. Trade offs either way I'd really recommend riding both if possible but unlike some I wouldn't throw General into the mix you can just feel the cheapness of that rig.

I didn't feel the cheapness of the General on the $23,000 price tag, ha.

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First of all, I am a conservative, old fart so am not consumed with rapid acceleration, or 90-mph top speed. I live in western Wyoming, and use my (2016) Pioneer 1000-5 primarily for hunting, summertime exploring trails and plowing snow. My first SXS was a 2011 Polaris RZR 800. I loved the maneuverability, and performance. Cargo space for hauling an elk was difficult. My RZR was in the 4th model year (if I remember correctly) and issues with the first RZR's were never fixed by then. We are all aware of the seat heat issues with the Pioneer but RZR had them for several years (and probably still does). Many have reported the "fires" with RZR's. I did not have a fire but the plastic access panels behind the seat totally melted. I had to put a heat shield in the bed to make temperatures tolerable (my neighbor made the mistake of putting a sleeping bag in the bed of his 2011 RZR and it totally melted it. What did Polaris say---we are unaware of heat issues. Honda at least admitted heat issues and did something to address them. I loved my RZR and had no mechanical issues with it (lots of steep country traveled with zero belt issues). When I sold my RZR, it had 750 miles all on trails, and was on the original belt.

Why did I go to the Honda? The fact that one can control their speed on muddy, frozen, snow-covered steep downhill sloped trails. With my RZR on one of my favorite hunting trails, my wife and I put on seat belts, I had no control: too much quick turning to allow "feathered" the throttle to try to keep from free-wheeling, too much mud and frozen stuff to use the brakes to control speed and turning---just pucker up and hope for the best. The original RZR's had a "hill descent" feature in the clutch but, it caused the rear wheels to lock up so Polaris discontinued it. Newer RZR's have the feature---same problem.

In an effort to make my spoiled dog happy with riding the SXS I purchased a Polaris 570 Crew. Great performance, plenty of room even for the dog and my neighbors, no mechanical issues but, about 3' longer than the Pioneer 1000-5.

In my opinion, for one who likes primarily trail riding, wants the ability to haul extra passengers, or extra cargo, and wants "control" of their vehicle on steep, slippery down hill slopes, there is nothing comparable to the Honda P1000-5. Yes the 2016 has some design issues but at least Honda is stepping up to the plate and addressing them. Does not happen with Polaris.

To answer the question--yes I would definitely consider another Honda Pioneer 1000. Sorry my post is so long and so late but I have been out (successfully) Elk hunting.

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First of all, I am a conservative, old fart so am not consumed with rapid acceleration, or 90-mph top speed. I live in western Wyoming, and use my (2016) Pioneer 1000-5 primarily for hunting, summertime exploring trails and plowing snow. My first SXS was a 2011 Polaris RZR 800. I loved the maneuverability, and performance. Cargo space for hauling an elk was difficult. My RZR was in the 4th model year (if I remember correctly) and issues with the first RZR's were never fixed by then. We are all aware of the seat heat issues with the Pioneer but RZR had them for several years (and probably still does). Many have reported the "fires" with RZR's. I did not have a fire but the plastic access panels behind the seat totally melted. I had to put a heat shield in the bed to make temperatures tolerable (my neighbor made the mistake of putting a sleeping bag in the bed of his 2011 RZR and it totally melted it. What did Polaris say---we are unaware of heat issues. Honda at least admitted heat issues and did something to address them. I loved my RZR and had no mechanical issues with it (lots of steep country traveled with zero belt issues). When I sold my RZR, it had 750 miles all on trails, and was on the original belt.

Why did I go to the Honda? The fact that one can control their speed on muddy, frozen, snow-covered steep downhill sloped trails. With my RZR on one of my favorite hunting trails, my wife and I put on seat belts, I had no control: too much quick turning to allow "feathered" the throttle to try to keep from free-wheeling, too much mud and frozen stuff to use the brakes to control speed and turning---just pucker up and hope for the best. The original RZR's had a "hill descent" feature in the clutch but, it caused the rear wheels to lock up so Polaris discontinued it. Newer RZR's have the feature---same problem.

In an effort to make my spoiled dog happy with riding the SXS I purchased a Polaris 570 Crew. Great performance, plenty of room even for the dog and my neighbors, no mechanical issues but, about 3' longer than the Pioneer 1000-5.

In my opinion, for one who likes primarily trail riding, wants the ability to haul extra passengers, or extra cargo, and wants "control" of their vehicle on steep, slippery down hill slopes, there is nothing comparable to the Honda P1000-5. Yes the 2016 has some design issues but at least Honda is stepping up to the plate and addressing them. Does not happen with Polaris.

To answer the question--yes I would definitely consider another Honda Pioneer 1000. Sorry my post is so long and so late but I have been out (successfully) Elk hunting.

PS: I agree that there is a '"dust problem" but it is no worse than on my other SxS's. Polaris would not admit to the problem on their 570 Crew but did offer a dust reduction kit (obviously for sale) that helped reduce the dust.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn’t. Now that Yamaha has the wolverine 4 that would be the machine for me.

advertisement
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

I like this post. The "wants "control" of their vehicle on steep, slippery down hill slopes, there is nothing comparable to the Honda P1000-5. Yes the 2016 has some design issues but at least Honda is stepping up to the plate and addressing them. Does not happen with Polaris."

Dgrinde

Dgrinde

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wouldn’t. Now that Yamaha has the wolverine 4 that would be the machine for me.
Worth looking at. I will if the clutch mod fails. Then again I have warrenty for four years and service people are good.

Reactions: Smitty335
HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d buy a pioneer 1000-5 again in a heartbeat. Sometimes wish it’s was a little more sporty coming from a commander though. Overall it takes my family of 5 anywhere we wanna go.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

Russ

Apr 28, 2016
mn
I’d buy a pioneer 1000-5 again in a heartbeat. Sometimes wish it’s was a little more sporty coming from a commander though. Overall it takes my family of 5 anywhere we wanna go.
I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on the 1000-5 and I would buy again. Although Honda needs to make some changes to the machine that steers it away from the UTV market and work on the problems that the fateful Honda followers have reported. I really like being able to take the grand kids on rides that said the RPMs are to high when in auto mode and the constant shifting is maddening. I can in manual mode and get almost 350 miles on a full tank and have not had any clutch problems to date 2000 miles and counting (knock on my head) it is a mountain Goat and doesn't stop. I bought this machine to have fun and help with chores. Bed don't lift worth a crap when a load is in it. 8 speed would be a dream come true with a true full manual mode.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!