P1000 Who would Buy the Pioneer Again

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't found a machine that would be more versatile and fit my needs better than the P1k-5. I love the clutch and transmission, the paddle shifters make it fun to drive and sporty enough. The seating availability sold me and I still love it. I know there have been times when a 4 seat RZR would have struggled with it's long wheelbase and a 6 seat Ranger has no appeal to me. Only thing I would probably change would be the roof height and aftermarket support but I've enjoyed making a lot of my own parts.
Hey I am gonna make a shortened roll cage for my pioneer! I think I am gonna copy for the most part but yeah I'm gonna drop it about 6" in front and rear and about 4" in the center.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey I am gonna make a shortened roll cage for my pioneer! I think I am gonna copy for the most part but yeah I'm gonna drop it about 6" in front and rear and about 4" in the center.
You'll like it shortened:)

P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Absolutely!! I love my Pioneer and now 2 of my friends have bought P1K-3 EPS's because they were so impressed with mine. Only thing I would do different is buy the 5 seater. Extremely happy with my '16 P1K3-EPS. Just under 4,000 miles in a year and a half, and still going strong with little to no issues at all.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I’ve heard rumors that @Tigermark has made some mods to it where it actually is half boato_O;). I guess there is only one way to find out if the rumors are true
20170909 143710

You boys can enjoy riding in Tiger all you want;) I have the Cruiser for a backup. Heck yea I would purchase a pioneer again;) I already did ! Both are 2016 models, have had no issues with either. These are great machines!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 56602

You boys can enjoy riding in Tiger all you want;) I have the Cruiser for a backup. Heck yea I would purchase a pioneer again;) I already did ! Both are 2016 models, have had no issues with either. These are great machines!
I think I see the punisher skull peeking through the graphics!! Ok now I really like it!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes I would buy another PK5 if something were to happen to mine. I was just in that position a week ago (or close anyway). I sold my Pioneer 700-4 for $100.00 less than I payed for it. I could have chosen any SXS I wanted and picked the

I had an R-Spec before my first Pioneer. It was ok, but the loud whine noise from the CVT and all the other noise from it drove me crazy.
After I sold my 700-4 I thought about looking at the new X4, but no turf mode and the looks of it turned me off. I am extremely happy with the PK5 and would differently buy another one.
I have to agree with the noise! Took one for a ride which had a full windshield, soft doors with zippers and the noise was bad! I think it was a 16, but am not sure and noticed rust on different areas which I found surprising! I guess it’s the trade off for the dependability!

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually went to the deal to buy a commander maxx limited. I knew little about the Honda at all. We now have 4500 trouble free miles on our machine! I am an auto tech and did not want to spend my weekends repairing a broke down machine all the time. Maybe I’m just one of the “lucky” ones. I don’t really know. I do however know that my wife and I would not hesitate to buy another.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes Sir.. for a very young family ( we roll with a 2 yr old ) riding 3 deep up front was a must. My kid can later transition to the back. My friends kid gets motion sickness riding in the back of there general 4 and think it’s because they can’t see out. At the end of the day we want to cruise at a good pace but never intend to get crazy in the P. I will prob buy my own Talon when it comes out for romping but keep the P for sure.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Hey Guys
If you had it all to do again, would you buy the Honda Pioneer 1000 again? If you could have all the money spent on your machines and you could get all your money back would you still buy this machine? Or would you wait on a new Honda? Or maybe go with a different brand? Just was wanting to see how many are still drinking the kool-aid! long time honda owner.
In a NY Second I would. For one thing it just saved me from renting a Bobcat. Just graded gravel for about an hour. It keeps on keeping on.
1024171338 HDR
1024171338 HDR

Sparkyknowsbest

Sparkyknowsbest

Apr 20, 2016
Henderson NV
Nothing still fits the nitch that the P1K-5 does. The new Wolverine X4 is close, but the bed doesn't dump. So, yes... I would more than likely buy a Pioneer again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Right on the money!

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys! Been so busy with the family and now an added wedding to plan for we have hardly ridden since Memorial weekend. Cup is half full as I get a new 36x40 shop for the sacrifice of time. :) I will definately buy again and would eventually like a red p15 and a blue one to go hang with my trusty white p15. But still want a orange one too. Lol! Great to see new faces here! Hondasxs still number 1!:)

G

GrandpaJ

Mar 20, 2017
Holton Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey Guys
If you had it all to do again, would you buy the Honda Pioneer 1000 again? If you could have all the money spent on your machines and you could get all your money back would you still buy this machine? Or would you wait on a new Honda? Or maybe go with a different brand? Just was wanting to see how many are still drinking the kool-aid! long time honda owner.
I have a 2016 700-4 I would not buy another one the jerking of transmission and the heat created on the seat belt clips that have reached 190 degrees also rust inside of tubes the left over welds that cut fingers

S

Sulli

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys
I would not buy a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 again. Clutch problems were my first issue, mechanical issue with the machine. Needed to have one of the clutch packs replaced after 8 weeks of ownership, which is a somewhat major repair. The idea behind the 5 seater is great however in real world riding if your not riding over a smooth surface it's not good. The rear passengers feel every bump because they are directly on top of the rear suspension. Actually made it to where my kids didn't want to ride and we were in Durham Town which is an awesome off road park. Then road it in Ocala National Forest in Spring time and the heat coming off the motor and dash was unreal, no fun over 75 degrees. Also the temperature light came on same day and I had to shut if off and let it cool down. I like that it's quiet, it steers wheel, dump bed is cool and their pretty cool looking, but the design is flawed. Beware of the clutch issues and don't try and put it in reverse and pull someone out of the mud, don't ride in high in any mud, etc. Dealer said to keep in it low gear all the time after clutch repair!?!? 35mph doesn't always cut it, crazy suggestion IMHO. Good luck with whatever you decide but research the clutch, engine heat, and rear seat issues before you buy. The engine seemed awesome and had plenty of power. With two people in it alot of fun to drive and more that that and real trail riding seemed kind of like driving a station wagon not a performance machine, definitely loose some handling with rear passengers. Also suspension will bottom out with 2 adults up front if you if you hit a good bump or a jump and come down on the front.
I went and traded it on a Polaris RZR 900 4, what a difference! Put it in gear and floor it, climbs anything sucks up bumps and jumps, doesn't bottom out. You shift to low when climbing, mud digging, or trailer pulling, that's it. RZR has a small bed, I have a small dump trailer I pull if I need it. Love it and no problems. Bought my kids a RZR 570 and my little guy a RZR 170. Probably could sell the 4 seater now. By the way they sell a 3 seat option for the rear of the RZR 4 to make it a 5 seater, seat belts and all. Machine is slightly longer than the Honda but alot more fun.

Reactions: 0860silverado
L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I would not buy a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 again. Clutch problems were my first issue, mechanical issue with the machine. Needed to have one of the clutch packs replaced after 8 weeks of ownership, which is a somewhat major repair. The idea behind the 5 seater is great however in real world riding if your not riding over a smooth surface it's not good. The rear passengers feel every bump because they are directly on top of the rear suspension. Actually made it to where my kids didn't want to ride and we were in Durham Town which is an awesome off road park. Then road it in Ocala National Forest in Spring time and the heat coming off the motor and dash was unreal, no fun over 75 degrees. Also the temperature light came on same day and I had to shut if off and let it cool down. I like that it's quiet, it steers wheel, dump bed is cool and their pretty cool looking, but the design is flawed. Beware of the clutch issues and don't try and put it in reverse and pull someone out of the mud, don't ride in high in any mud, etc. Dealer said to keep in it low gear all the time after clutch repair!?!? 35mph doesn't always cut it, crazy suggestion IMHO. Good luck with whatever you decide but research the clutch, engine heat, and rear seat issues before you buy. The engine seemed awesome and had plenty of power. With two people in it alot of fun to drive and more that that and real trail riding seemed kind of like driving a station wagon not a performance machine, definitely loose some handling with rear passengers. Also suspension will bottom out with 2 adults up front if you if you hit a good bump or a jump and come down on the front.
I went and traded it on a Polaris RZR 900 4, what a difference! Put it in gear and floor it, climbs anything sucks up bumps and jumps, doesn't bottom out. You shift to low when climbing, mud digging, or trailer pulling, that's it. RZR has a small bed, I have a small dump trailer I pull if I need it. Love it and no problems. Bought my kids a RZR 570 and my little guy a RZR 170. Probably could sell the 4 seater now. By the way they sell a 3 seat option for the rear of the RZR 4 to make it a 5 seater, seat belts and all. Machine is slightly longer than the Honda but alot more fun.

Slightly? It’s 30” longer. Thats 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I had the money and room I’d buy a second one or the sport when it comes out.

Heat is relative, you’ll never agree on that discussion. I’m in the hot humid south and I just take my windshield off in the summer. Move and it’s suddenly cooler I almost never run my bilge fan. I also dislike riding in groups more than 3-5 unless they can ride at a good clip, because you inchworm along

Some of the heat problems maybe a 5:30 ride, meaning ride for 5, shoot s***, drink beer, and idle with the radio bumping for 30. I’m more if a ride for 60 stop for 10 or maybe 5 to chat and keep going. I’m there to ride, we can shoot s***, drink beer and eat food at the house.

If someone wants to ride a utility/recreational machine like a sport machine without the benefit of the upgraded shocks and extra 30” of wheelbase, you’re going to hear, horrible suspension and it bottoms out over jumps.

Clutch has a fix that solves the problem and keeps all but the most determined of bad drivers from delaminating a clutch. High and low are there for a reason, people that burn up a pre-update clutch mudding in high are gonna burn a belt in high as well.

Mud, Rocks, steep tough trails, towing/carrying a heavy load....LOW because you can’t run 40 through deep mud, and if you can that’s not mud that’s a wet dirt road.

Easy trails, carrying passengers or pavement ... HIGH

You should buy the machine that fits your riding style but because it doesn’t, does not mean the machine is bad it means the fit is bad.

I’m glad they solved the clutch problem, but it stinks that Honda Corporate won’t release the Sport anytime soon because there are a lot of people who want the Honda reliability but are forced to go elsewhere to find a sport machine to fit their riding style.

It does work extremely well as a solid recreational machine, considering what it is designed for is more utility with a side of recreation. 75% of the hours on mine are working hours 75% of the miles are Recreational. I would like a sport but what I use it for mostly is working around the property and I can’t afford two so I compromised with the riding style and slow down (in the rough stuff)enough I’m not ripping the a-arms off the machine.

Upgrade shocks and it’s faster in rough terrain as well.

BUT REPEAT AFTER ME “ITS.....STILL..... NOT..... A.....SPORT.....MACHINE!”

Last edited:
K

KonaLance

Apr 17, 2017
Kailua Kona, HI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The short answer is YES, the long answer is I did expect it to be a little better in quality at an $18,000 price point. For the exact same price I can go into a Honda Automobile store and buy a 2018 Honda Fit (car) with A/C, a windshield, wipers, power windows, airbags, backup camera, bumpers, leather steering wheel and the list goes on.
I know it is the going price for SxS at this level, but it doesn't mean Honda couldn't have stepped it up several notches, they have been in the business of making vehicles a lot longer than most.

Reactions: sargenthp
T

Tackelbarry

Dec 29, 2016
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 2016 1000-5. No issues. I live in N.C. so the summers are warm, but we only notice the heat when sitting still. In the winter the heat is nice. My dealer is doing the heat and clutch update as I write this. I heard about the updates, called them, and they ordered the parts. My machine runs great. Yes, I would buy it again.

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
Hey Guys
Yes definitely would once Honda gets the clutch issue repaired. Love the machine

T

Tackelbarry

Dec 29, 2016
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The short answer is YES, the long answer is I did expect it to be a little better in quality at an $18,000 price point. For the exact same price I can go into a Honda Automobile store and buy a 2018 Honda Fit (car) with A/C, a windshield, wipers, power windows, airbags, backup camera, bumpers, leather steering wheel and the list goes on.
I know it is the going price for SxS at this level, but it doesn't mean Honda couldn't have stepped it up several notches, they have been in the business of making vehicles a lot longer than most.

Ouch, $18,000.00, I paid less than $15,000.00 for mine. Still a lot of money, but I bought it with the intent of keeping it. No regrets here.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!