1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok.
Who has been to WindRock?
Show me some sites!
- best windmill viewing
- waterfalls
- over looks

Would be great if you could show it on a map or provide GPS locations.

Goal is to mark as many as we can. Then later we will plan a route.
Thanks.

Reactions: Jeremiah80 and lee
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Anyone know if they allow special permission to actually get up on and touch a windmill?

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
Anyone know if they allow special permission to actually get up on and touch a windmill?
Been several times. Not supposed to get near the wind mills. If you don't have winch and good skids , watch out. A lot of rocks . Best thing to do is download maps from Dan Koerner. It will include all of that part of TN.

Reactions: Hondasxs
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Been there and rode for a week 2 years ago. We drove on the gravel road right up to the windmill but you probably do not want to try and touch it, almost zero chance but if conditions are wrong and it has stored up static electricity it might light you up. It shouldn't but I would not risk it.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Windmills are all 100% grounded with huge grounding grids 0 chance to get a shock from touching ive worked on many of them

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
CBC89

CBC89

Aug 8, 2015
Thinking about going myself with group in Feb or March...are the cabins worth the price and what are the trail like. Obviously they are rocky and mountainy but is there much mud or anything like that. It seems like a huge place dont know where to start.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not me, but i tell ya, I'm so ready for a ride with other SXSs. This lone wolf life is getting old

Reactions: Dp5hunter
B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thinking about going myself with group in Feb or March...are the cabins worth the price and what are the trail like. Obviously they are rocky and mountainy but is there much mud or anything like that. It seems like a huge place dont know where to start.
I just got back Monday. I think a map costs $10. Ask for Vickie. She will high light points of interest. Black trails are rough. Blue ones can get bad too. Cabins are great. Better than royal blue. Carry extra gas. Vickie can tell you how to get to old abandoned train and brushy mtn prison, panther rock, old air force radar site on cross mtn. I'm at work now , need a map to rattle off trail #'s to get to several points. I wouldn't recommend going alone. Seen a few xp's with broke axles, one bad diff. They are checking strong for alcohol as well. Best thing is get a Garmin and buy Dan Koerner Maps and download. It covers from Windrock to sundquist .

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We are definitely interested in these POI's. I recently heard about the prison. Is this an abandon prison?

The cabins were awesome. Our ladies loved them and didn't want to leave.

I recommend both GPS and a paper map. This place is huge.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
We are definitely interested in these POI's. I recently heard about the prison. Is this an abandon prison?

Yes, its abandoned. 2009 I think. Located town of Petros on hwy 116. Train is over the mtn on 116 behind coal washing station. Prison was where James Earl Ray was housed.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red

Have you been to the eternal flame on royal blue? Or sand mines? Lots of great riding just north of Windrock also.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I need some good POI for when we go again. Only have windmills and 2 waterfalls around the trail head.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm heading there Oct 8-11. First out of state trip, and was wondering the same thing as its so big where head.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
I need some good POI for when we go again. Only have windmills and 2 waterfalls around the trail head.
Just make sure to get with Vickie. Super helpful. You can call her in advance. We have even called her from the trails and she helps. . try and hit Panther Rock, Abandoned Air Force Radar Site, Prison. Be careful on trail 16. When it turns left where a black diamond trail starts its super steep and off camber with a Rock ledge. Turn back and take another steep trail to the right. Nat as dangerous. I'm at work so I don't map in front of me but that's a few places

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're staying at the park in the rv overflow area.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
If you go to train from prison ride on hwy 116 thru frozen head park, (illegal??) Own risk! Go across mtn and out of park to coal washing plant. Turn at it and go in the back. You will see train. From their we took a trail on the left just past train headed out. Called Dunlap Lane. Washed out real bad but can be done. Go up mtn and the trail ends at an intersection. Turn right. Keep in mind your on TWRA Royal blue. This trail turns into Windrock G40. Rough at first but gets better, and your back at Windrock

Reactions: Plumber32
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just got back Monday. I think a map costs $10. Ask for Vickie. She will high light points of interest. Black trails are rough. Blue ones can get bad too. Cabins are great. Better than royal blue. Carry extra gas. Vickie can tell you how to get to old abandoned train and brushy mtn prison, panther rock, old air force radar site on cross mtn. I'm at work now , need a map to rattle off trail #'s to get to several points. I wouldn't recommend going alone. Seen a few xp's with broke axles, one bad diff. They are checking strong for alcohol as well. Best thing is get a Garmin and buy Dan Koerner Maps and download. It covers from Windrock to sundquist .

Thanks for the info and opinion, regarding GPS maps of trails for the Garmin a very good set is free that has all POI's on it for all of the area trails in one download. It covers Windrock, Brimstone, TWRA (Royal Blue) everything you can get them here no cost:

North Cumberland OHV / ATV Trails v2.3, TN Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for the tips. Sometimes when I get to a new area I kinda get frustrated if I have no idea where to go. I need a goal or something to accomplish never would of made a good hippie!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!