KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
In a recent discussion with another SXS owner the subject of a 2nd battery was mentioned. I know less than nothing about the electronics of my P5. Several of you have already completed this mod or are considering it. As I am planning to possibly due a major overhaul to my buggy this winter which will include rewiring and adding more accessories.... Can some one explain the need for a second battery?

My current setup & use is this:

My radio is not tied into the system (JBL Extreme speaker and a click controller) only electrical items I have added are the power steering and winch. I currently use the system now to charge my phone, tablet, or use the portable inflator in the 12v port. I carry a jump box, which does work and is charged. ;)

Upgrade plans are:

Rock Lights
Whip Lights
Cube Lights
Lighted Side Mirrors
Auxbeam Switch panel

Last edited:
Reactions: futzin and TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
U will get 2 opinions on this - neither is wrong.

If you like to jam on the stereo with machine off - second battery and isolator is recommended. If you travel remote and need another battery to get u outta a jamb - the second battery is already there to jump to - it’s not automatic if your main dies.

I’ve had winches, stereos, etc accessories and never needed a second battery - I carry a jump box just in case.

New sxs’s with winches do not have a second battery. If you need.a 2nd battery for a winch to get you out a trouble - have a beer first and ponder how you got there.

Good luck with your decision.

Use search bar up top - this topic has been discussed to nauseum.

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
U will get 2 opinions on this - neither is wrong.

If you like to jam on the stereo with machine off - second battery and isolator is recommended. If you travel remote and need another battery to get u outta a jamb - the second battery is already there to jump to - it’s not automatic if your main dies.

I’ve had winches, stereos, etc accessories and never needed a second battery - I carry a jump box just in case.

New sxs’s with winches do not have a second battery. If you need.a 2nd battery for a winch to get you out a trouble - have a beer first and ponder how you got there.

Good luck with your decision.

Use search bar up top - this topic has been discussed to nauseum.

Thanks so much for the response. I did a search before starting this new thread ( I know the rules. ;)) and got a lot of info on people doing the 2nd battery for a P5, but little on the reasoning behind it. I would like to understand the reasoning and functionality of it.

My current setup & use is this:

My radio is not tied into the system (JBL Extreme speaker and a click controller) only electrical items I have added are the power steering and winch. I carry a jump box as well. I have been thinking of how I currently use the system now, other than the above mentioned aftermarket add ons... I charge my phone, tablet, or use the portable inflator in the 12v port.

Upgrade plans:

Rock Lights
Whip Lights
Cube Lights
Lighted Side Mirrors
Possible a USB charging port
Auxbeam Switch panel

As I said.. I know less than nothing. Which is why I am looking to be educated on the 2nd battery so I know if I am over taxing the system.. now or after the new mods.

Reactions: Coeus and futzin
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I did it because there's always a possibility that I might get drunk/pass out and forget to turn the lights or radio off or something and I didn't want to be stranded with a dead battery in the morning when I awake from my slumber.

Per usual, I was right.

• Haha
Reactions: Coeus