P500 Why did I buy a side by side?

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
I have never owned an atv or utv of any sort. I have been one of those, "you need to walk where you are going, take your time, be quiet, listen and observe wildlife". That worked well for me for the first 49 years of my life. I have seen more wildlife than most any of my friends, I have walked with deer and elk, surprised bobcat and observed all manner of woodland creatures without their knowledge. I still think that is the best way to go. However, I am getting older. I have drug deer over a mile in one stretch, walked the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine in 7 days, trekked over the Rockies in Colorado pursuing elk with a bow, but I think for the most part those days are behind me. I hate to admit it, but my body is wearing out on me, I noticed it after the Maine trip 4 years ago. I went to the Honda dealership to buy my first 4-wheeler with my son back in August. Just a basic 4 wheel drive model is what I was after. My son saw this little green side by side sitting there and said, "dad, what you need to buy is one of these, you are getting older, this looks way more comfortable than a 4-wheeler, and also, maybe mom would ride around with you some on the lease." My son made a lot of sense. I asked the salesman about it, he gave me the particulars, told me to jump in it and ride around behind the dealership. I was sold, went and picked up my trailer and drove away with it in tow an hour later. I must say, I have had no buyers remorse, I believe it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I had discounted side by sides, mainly because all of them I had ever driven had been so noisy and big. This little P500 is neither noisy or big, it is perfect. Absolutely love it, so glad I brought my son along, I would never have considered a side by side. I didn't know how perfect it would be. It is a work horse, leave my truck at camp now, this season I have hauled stands, feeders, deer, pulled trailers, even had a 30' extension ladder strapped to the rack. It has never coughed or sputtered, driven up every hill, across all terrains and through every creek and bog I have steered it towards. Awesome machine. I enjoy reading about others experiences with this little machine, thought I would share mine. Thanks for all the very helpful posts on this site, it has made my purchases and experiences with my machine much more enjoyable. ct

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Glad to hear another good report ct! At Texarkana, I'm curious why you went all the way to Maine for a hike with the Ouachita trail just north of you? 223 miles of awesome wilderness beginning in eastern Oklahoma and ending at Pinnacle, west side of Little Rock.

Reactions: cthack
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I have never owned an atv or utv of any sort. I have been one of those, "you need to walk where you are going, take your time, be quiet, listen and observe wildlife". That worked well for me for the first 49 years of my life. I have seen more wildlife than most any of my friends, I have walked with deer and elk, surprised bobcat and observed all manner of woodland creatures without their knowledge. I still think that is the best way to go. However, I am getting older. I have drug deer over a mile in one stretch, walked the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine in 7 days, trekked over the Rockies in Colorado pursuing elk with a bow, but I think for the most part those days are behind me. I hate to admit it, but my body is wearing out on me, I noticed it after the Maine trip 4 years ago. I went to the Honda dealership to buy my first 4-wheeler with my son back in August. Just a basic 4 wheel drive model is what I was after. My son saw this little green side by side sitting there and said, "dad, what you need to buy is one of these, you are getting older, this looks way more comfortable than a 4-wheeler, and also, maybe mom would ride around with you some on the lease." My son made a lot of sense. I asked the salesman about it, he gave me the particulars, told me to jump in it and ride around behind the dealership. I was sold, went and picked up my trailer and drove away with it in tow an hour later. I must say, I have had no buyers remorse, I believe it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I had discounted side by sides, mainly because all of them I had ever driven had been so noisy and big. This little P500 is neither noisy or big, it is perfect. Absolutely love it, so glad I brought my son along, I would never have considered a side by side. I didn't know how perfect it would be. It is a work horse, leave my truck at camp now, this season I have hauled stands, feeders, deer, pulled trailers, even had a 30' extension ladder strapped to the rack. It has never coughed or sputtered, driven up every hill, across all terrains and through every creek and bog I have steered it towards. Awesome machine. I enjoy reading about others experiences with this little machine, thought I would share mine. Thanks for all the very helpful posts on this site, it has made my purchases and experiences with my machine much more enjoyable. ct
Good Lord man! I would hope that you aren't saying 49 is old!! I am screwed if it is.

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Glad to hear another good report ct! At Texarkana, I'm curious why you went all the way to Maine for a hike with the Ouachita trail just north of you? 223 miles of awesome wilderness beginning in eastern Oklahoma and ending at Pinnacle, west side of Little Rock.
Great question Montecresto! I love Arkansas and the varied landscapes and wilderness. I spent my childhood roaming the hills of western Arkansas coon hunting and just exploring. My son and I have hiked all though the Quachita's, he started asking me if he could climb that hill when he was about 5, at the age of 9, I strapped a pack on him and told him to lead. I followed him around on many a hike in Arkansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and finally Maine. My son always wanted to hike the Appalachian trail. I told him I wasn't up to the entire 2000+ miles, but I would give a go at a section. He chose the Maine section. I didn't realize that it is arguably the most challenging section of the trail. He turned 21 on the trip and I turned 45. It was a great adventure, the hike to the top of Mt. Katadin was brutal, but completely worth the effort. The next 100 miles through those mountains were most memorable. I would encourage any of you men who have children still at home to always take them with you on your adventures when possible. They won't be around for long. ct

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Good Lord man! I would hope that you aren't saying 49 is old!! I am screwed if it is.
MaleRN 28US, hate to say it, but you are screwed, on the downhill side, most likely you wont live to 98. But thanks to modern machinery, we can still be where God intended us to be. Out where the nearest toilet is that next tree. I am aware of areas of my body that never gave me a thought just 10 years ago, and from talking to friends 10 years ahead of me, it gets worse. The past 4 or 5 years I have slowed down a bit, I don't like it! Machinery has made it possible to speed back up a bit! ct

Reactions: Montecresto
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
MaleRN 28US, hate to say it, but you are screwed, on the downhill side, most likely you wont live to 98. But thanks to modern machinery, we can still be where God intended us to be. Out where the nearest toilet is that next tree. I am aware of areas of my body that never gave me a thought just 10 years ago, and from talking to friends 10 years ahead of me, it gets worse. The past 4 or 5 years I have slowed down a bit, I don't like it! Machinery has made it possible to speed back up a bit! ct
I would have to disagree with you on this one. I turn 45 this year, just went hiking in Glacier National Park and Badlands National Park two years ago. My father who was 66 at the time also went with us. I figure if he could do it with numb feet (diabetes) and 16 months post open heart surgery, I shouldn't have any reason to complain or not go. I can't let that old fart out do me!

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
I would have to disagree with you on this one. I turn 45 this year, just went hiking in Glacier National Park and Badlands National Park two years ago. My father who was 66 at the time also went with us. I figure if he could do it with numb feet (diabetes) and 16 months post open heart surgery, I shouldn't have any reason to complain or not go. I can't let that old fart out do me!
Good for your dad! ct

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great question Montecresto! I love Arkansas and the varied landscapes and wilderness. I spent my childhood roaming the hills of western Arkansas coon hunting and just exploring. My son and I have hiked all though the Quachita's, he started asking me if he could climb that hill when he was about 5, at the age of 9, I strapped a pack on him and told him to lead. I followed him around on many a hike in Arkansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and finally Maine. My son always wanted to hike the Appalachian trail. I told him I wasn't up to the entire 2000+ miles, but I would give a go at a section. He chose the Maine section. I didn't realize that it is arguably the most challenging section of the trail. He turned 21 on the trip and I turned 45. It was a great adventure, the hike to the top of Mt. Katadin was brutal, but completely worth the effort. The next 100 miles through those mountains were most memorable. I would encourage any of you men who have children still at home to always take them with you on your adventures when possible. They won't be around for long. ct
Nice! I read 'A Walk In The Woods' several years ago which got me interested in backpacking. Have done the Ouachita from west to east. Like you, I would like to do a piece of the A trail, I can't afford to do the whole thing, can't be away from responsibility that long, lol. I'm glad you enjoy the Ouachitas and your new P-500! Where's your lease at?

advertisement
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Nice! I read 'A Walk In The Woods' several years ago which got me interested in backpacking. Have done the Ouachita from west to east. Like you, I would like to do a piece of the A trail, I can't afford to do the whole thing, can't be away from responsibility that long, lol. I'm glad you enjoy the Ouachitas and your new P-500! Where's your lease at?
I am on a lease in Prescott AR and Arkadelphia AR. Good hunting at both locations. We have a lot of deer here in Arkansas! ct

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I am on a lease in Prescott AR and Arkadelphia AR. Good hunting at both locations. We have a lot of deer here in Arkansas! ct
Nice, just down the road from my lake house on Hamilton. And Prescott AZ. So beautiful there!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!