BOX1

Wildlife photography

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Last one for today. I'll post some more tomorrow.

DSC01405a

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Killer pics man! Cool catch on that Snowy Owl! I've never been able to see one in the wild. Its on my list.
Thanks a lot! Funny thing with the Snowy Owl -- it was in town! It had taken up winter residence in a cloverleaf of the freeway through Omaha, and roosted on a cell tower. I understand they also love airports -- lots of flat ground, similar environment as where they come from, north of the Arctic circle.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was perusing the archives looking at Bald Eagle pics and reminiscing, and came across this one. Although this photo is well over 5 years old, this curious immature eagle remains an all time favorite of mine.

QQ5A8890a

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was perusing the archives looking at Bald Eagle pics and reminiscing, and came across this one. Although this photo is well over 5 years old, this curious immature eagle remains an all time favorite of mine.

View attachment 302975
Now I’ve not seen any of these birds in the NTC so why do you keep calling them immature?

#NTC

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Now I’ve not seen any of these birds in the NTC so why do you keep calling them immature?

#NTC
What's the NTC? Bald Eagles don't reach full maturity (completely white head and tail feathers) until at least 5 years of age. Immature or juvenile (sometimes terms used interchangeably) are any Bald Eagles who've fledged (grown flight feathers), but are not yet full adult birds.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Another favorite. An adult Osprey having a staring contest with me. He won. By the way, all of the birds I've posted here, so far, are wild. Although I do photograph captive birds (zoo, sanctuaries, rehab, etc), I always state that in my captions.

IJ8A7767a

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the NTC? Bald Eagles don't reach full maturity (completely white head and tail feathers) until at least 5 years of age. Immature or juvenile (sometimes terms used interchangeably) are any Bald Eagles who've fledged (grown flight feathers), but are not yet full adult birds.
Join the pub on the forum (free just have to agree to the terms). Then find the Not The Contest thread. (Meme thread is also in the pub).

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The eastern side of the Sierra rises from my back yard at about a 35 degree angle, there's an Aspen grove and a few Jeffrey pine, this summer a cut an access road across the back. Stopped the sxs to get this pic with cell phone. Pretty sure it's a great horned owl due to it's size, I'd guess nearly two feet tip to tip. It left right after I took the photo.
20210910 101820

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
BTW, I'll be glad to do requests too. If it's a midwest bird (no penguins or puffins), I've probably photographed it. Although I search for raptors--eagles, hawks, owls, etc., I'll shoot sparrows and hummingbirds too. But here's a few owls I've photographed.

View attachment 302505 View attachment 302506 View attachment 302507 View attachment 302508 View attachment 302509
I sat in a Cedar tree no further than 4 foot above a Great horned Owl while bow hunting White Tail Deer. I heard all these Crows and then the Owl swooped in and sat underneath my stand in the Cedar tree. Owl's are very quiet in flight, all I noticed was motion, It was very cool, I sat motionless for five minutes watching the Owl. The range of motion in they're necks is incredible. Crows left and the Owl flew off. The Lord has blessed me with many things like this. Did you know a King Fisher bird can lay on the bottom of a river riffle and catch minnows, while fly fishing I stumbled across this. I notice all kinds of things. flowers, Walking Stick bugs, you ever heard / saw a Squirrel pee out of a tree, I have. Life and times of Smitty's. Welcome! PS get a P1 and never look back, not the LE.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I sat in a Cedar tree no further than 4 foot above a Great horned Owl while bow hunting White Tail Deer. I heard all these Crows and then the Owl swooped in and sat underneath my stand in the Cedar tree. Owl's are very quiet in flight, all I noticed was motion, It was very cool, I sat motionless for five minutes watching the Owl. The range of motion in they're necks is incredible. Crows left and the Owl flew off. The Lord has blessed me with many things like this. Did you know a King Fisher bird can lay on the bottom of a river riffle and catch minnows, while fly fishing I stumbled across this. I notice all kinds of things. flowers, Walking Stick bugs, you ever heard / saw a Squirrel pee out of a tree, I have. Life and times of Smitty's. Welcome! PS get a P1 and never look back, not the LE.
That must've been cool to have a Great Horned owl land near you. I'm envious!

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Join the pub on the forum (free just have to agree to the terms). Then find the Not The Contest thread. (Meme thread is also in the pub).
OK, did that. Looked around in the NTC thread -- just a bunch of folks goofing around and having fun. I must be too old because I don't get it. Are you suggesting I post some of my birdie pics on that thread? Maybe a contest of who took the coolest photo or something? Explain please, and use small words cuz I'm sometimes a little dense.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, did that. Looked around in the NTC thread -- just a bunch of folks goofing around and having fun. I must be too old because I don't get it. Are you suggesting I post some of my birdie pics on that thread? Maybe a contest of who took the coolest photo or something? Explain please, and use small words cuz I'm sometimes a little dense.
You kept mentioning immature birds so I was just telling you where the immature ones nest on this forum.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!