P500 Will the P500 suit my needs?

C

Carpart67

Mar 31, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sorry if this is a bit long winded everyone.

I’m thinking very strongly of purchasing a Side by Side UTV. I’ve been researching various makes and models, but I have always been a Honda fan. Honda certainly does not offer the most powerful or feature packed SxS, but you can’t argue with the reliability and engineering of a Honda. I’ve been browsing model specific forums, like this one, while doing my research. It seems it’s not uncommon for some of the competitor’s trail models to catch fire, fall apart, require mods before a reliable first ride, etc. Haven’t read anything like that on this forum yet.

I’ve owned 2 ATV’s over the last 17 years. Both Honda, and both have been 100 percent reliable. The first was an 84 Honda TRX 200 2wd. Owned it from the time I was 12 until a few years ago. As you can imagine it showed some serious wear when I sold it, but it still ran like a top. My father actually purchased it from me as he said “it just works too good to let anyone else have it”

I currently own a 2000 Honda TRX 350FE. It’s 4WD with the 5 speed, electronically shifted, manual trans. I really love the machine. The super low first gear is great for plowing, hauling fire wood, and putt’n through the rough woods trails on my property. I’ve never found it under powered for my purposes. It's size makes it nimble and capable for narrow rough trails in the woods where I ride. I mostly use it for working around my property and light recreational use.

As much as I love the machine there are a few things that could be improved for my use. When adding a passenger I loose most of my cargo space and things can become uncomfortable on long rides. Not to mention the machine technically is not designed for more than one rider. You’re also exposed to the weather on an ATV. Making riding on inclement days not that enjoyable. It has no option to use 2WD only, which would be useful at times.

I know what I have now works well for me, so I’m hesitant to stray too far from it. Looking at the P500, it’s almost the same machine I have now but addresses the shortcomings. It has the same ground clearance, suspension travel and transmission style with the addition of a passenger seat, slightly larger engine, optional roof and windshield, and selectable 2/4WD. It's also as small and narrow as I will get in a SxS machine. It will even fit on my truck for transport like my 350.

So I’d like to hear from P500 owners. Do you think the 500 will fit my needs? Has anyone switched from an ATV to P500, and how did it meet your expectations? With the addition of a passenger seat the unit would likely see more recreational use than my ATV. I’m sure that the P500 is a work horse, is it equally capable when it comes to a fun recreational run? My local dealer is not even sure when the next 500 will arrive for me to view. (His tune may change if I was waving cash, but I’m not quite there yet) For those who had a long wait for their P500, are maintenance parts and accessories as equally hard to come by?

I’d actually be selling an antique auto to fund the SxS purchase so it’s a big deal and I don’t want to end up disappointed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

I’m thinking very strongly of purchasing a Side by Side UTV. I’ve been researching various makes and models, but I have always been a Honda fan. Honda certainly does not offer the most powerful or feature packed SxS, but you can’t argue with the reliability and engineering of a Honda. I’ve been browsing model specific forums, like this one, while doing my research. It seems it’s not uncommon for some of the competitor’s trail models to catch fire, fall apart, require mods before a reliable first ride, etc. Haven’t read anything like that on this forum yet.

I’ve owned 2 ATV’s over the last 17 years. Both Honda, and both have been 100 percent reliable. The first was an 84 Honda TRX 200 2wd. Owned it from the time I was 12 until a few years ago. As you can imagine it showed some serious wear when I sold it, but it still ran like a top. My father actually purchased it from me as he said “it just works too good to let anyone else have it”

I currently own a 2000 Honda TRX 350FE. It’s 4WD with the 5 speed, electronically shifted, manual trans. I really love the machine. The super low first gear is great for plowing, hauling fire wood, and putt’n through the rough woods trails on my property. I’ve never found it under powered for my purposes. It's size makes it nimble and capable for narrow rough trails in the woods where I ride. I mostly use it for working around my property and light recreational use.

As much as I love the machine there are a few things that could be improved for my use. When adding a passenger I loose most of my cargo space and things can become uncomfortable on long rides. Not to mention the machine technically is not designed for more than one rider. You’re also exposed to the weather on an ATV. Making riding on inclement days not that enjoyable. It has no option to use 2WD only, which would be useful at times.

I know what I have now works well for me, so I’m hesitant to stray too far from it. Looking at the P500, it’s almost the same machine I have now but addresses the shortcomings. It has the same ground clearance, suspension travel and transmission style with the addition of a passenger seat, slightly larger engine, optional roof and windshield, and selectable 2/4WD. It's also as small and narrow as I will get in a SxS machine. It will even fit on my truck for transport like my 350.

So I’d like to hear from P500 owners. Do you think the 500 will fit my needs? Has anyone switched from an ATV to P500, and how did it meet your expectations? With the addition of a passenger seat the unit would likely see more recreational use than my ATV. I’m sure that the P500 is a work horse, is it equally capable when it comes to a fun recreational run? My local dealer is not even sure when the next 500 will arrive for me to view. (His tune may change if I was waving cash, but I’m not quite there yet) For those who had a long wait for their P500, are maintenance parts and accessories as equally hard to come by?

I’d actually be selling an antique auto to fund the SxS purchase so it’s a big deal and I don’t want to end up disappointed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome,I came from atvs and love my p500. Put a windshield and roof on and you can ride anytime. Lots of power,lots of fun trail riding with a passenger.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sounds to me like the P500 would be great for you. I share your sentiments about honda's powersports products.... I've had several, and always great luck.

I have had several ATV's (still have a TRX700XX), and I am already getting more use out of the P500... I have only had it since Friday, but so far it's been awesome. I can take a friend with me when I ride. That's what makes it fun. The only thing that i'm not impressed with is the top speed... The very fastest it will go is 42 MPH and that's on the rev limiter. But in the woods, it is plenty quick and the tighter the trails, the more fun it is!!

You're already used to electric shift, so it will be a no-brainer for you... not that it's hard to get used to. I love that it has to be shifted.

As long as you know what you're buying, and don't expect it to be a drag racer - I think you will be very happy with the Pioneer 500. Best of luck with your decision!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

If you want a dependable machine that will get you through the trail, that is a joy to drive and can go where not many sxs' can, the P-5 is your ride. If you want a low torque high speed racer, get a rzr.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Yes, sounds like it will suit your needs very well. I look at the P500 as an oversized Foreman 500 that can comfortably seat 2 passengers and haul twice as much stuff.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
I to went from a 98 honda 300 ATV to a P500 and I love my P500. It works great for everything you want it to do (bad weather and riding with a passenger) My fiance rides with me quit a bit and it is WAY more enjoyable now that she is sitting beside me. You will love it. And yes I also bought the P500 because it fits in my long bed truck so I dont need a trailer.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Another good feature of the P500/SXS over an ATV is that when you get older that roll bar is great. I don't bounce anymore :(

Reactions: p500fan and Jbird
C

Carpart67

Mar 31, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for the info guys! I think the P500s lacking top speed looks worse on paper than it would be in application. I'm more of a slow and steady kinda guy. My only concern would be keeping up with others when riding in a group, and honestly I'd probably be content to straggle at the back of the pack anyway lol.

Has anyone experienced delays getting accessories or maintenance/repair parts from their dealers? The fact that the P500 are scarce at the dealers makes me worry about that. The salesman at the local shop said there is no issues on that front, but he's also hoping to sell me a machine.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Thanks for the info guys! I think the P500s lacking top speed looks worse on paper than it would be in application. I'm more of a slow and steady kinda guy. My only concern would be keeping up with others when riding in a group, and honestly I'd probably be content to straggle at the back of the pack anyway lol.

Has anyone experienced delays getting accessories or maintenance/repair parts from their dealers? The fact that the P500 are scarce at the dealers makes me worry about that. The salesman at the local shop said there is no issues on that front, but he's also hoping to sell me a machine.
On that i think you'll be fine as well. The 500 has been out for a few years, so your good.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

The only delay I had was getting my P5 last year because they were allocated but parts and accessories are very easy to get. You also asked earlier about going from a ATV to the side by. I went from my Honda Rincon which I loved to the P5 and have not looked back. It's not as fast but I like it more every time I take it out.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Any idea what a wreck at 42 mph would feel like?? You really don't need to be going 60 mph. I think you'll be happy in the P-5.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I rode a poker run last saturday. My riding group consisted of: CanAm Commander 1000, Kawasaki Teryx, Polaris Ranger 900, Raptor 700, Yamaha Rhino, and me on the Pioneer 500. Lots of muddy trails, ruts, and a couple decent hill climbs. At no point did I ever struggle to keep up. The bigger problem I had was that everyone wanted a turn in the passenger seat!

I knew I wasn't buying a 70 mph machine, and that was okay. Once you go for a rip through some tight trails, and watch your buddies on the bigger machines backing up again and again, you won't second guess your purchase. It is so much fun to fly through tight, twisty trails and work the paddle shifters...

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I used to work for the State doing easement and trail stuff so I have ridden many different machines. Varies brands of four wheelers, Rhinos, Rangers, and even Argos for work doing many many miles on all kinds of trails and I never thought I would buy a SxS since so many trails here are narrow and tight. Then I went and looked at getting a new wheeler and the sales guy showed me the P500 I did some research and decided to bite the bullet and buy one.....I am so happy I did, yeah not the fastest thing on the trail but unless you ride a lot of smooth wide open trails or roads the speed should never be an issue. I usually have to wait on my partners when we ride once we hit the more technical trails, one of them is on a grizzly 700 and the other is on a can am SxS (he parks his and rides with me the last 8 miles or so to get to a couple fishing holes since the can am is too wide).
So after the long post my take is unless you want a hot rod drag racer the P500 should suit you just fine, I have been extremely happy with mine. As to parts and such even here in Alaska I have had no issues the only complaint from others has been a lack of performance parts such as shocks and high performance upgrades but as the P500s gain popularity hopefully that will change. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Cowboy22
H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Like others have said..if you can live with the 40mph top speed then the rest with suit your needs better than you can imagine. I bought mine for a hunting and fishing rig.
It is only slightly larger than my rancher was. I can always pick a trail through the woods for game recovery. It handles ditch crossings and hills great. If it wont climb it then you dont need to be trying it.i did the full cab from honda and it was a bit pricey.
The cab does not seal up air tight there are some gaps. But if you dress for the temp outside it is very comfy in the cab even at way beoow freezing....I have not regretted it

Reactions: p500fan
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I use mine as daily transportation up here in AK. I bought it with that, and hunting/fishing/trailriding in mind. It will go anywhere the Ranchers/Foremans will go, and I have a cab. Ha! While it's not perfect, it keeps me dry and warm. Best money I've ever spent!

Reactions: joeymt33
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Dealer's say wat ya wanna hear...
I researched the p500 myself
DAMN good machine

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Dealer's say wat ya wanna hear...
I researched the p500 myself
DAMN good machine
Ditto here. I'm a research freak and bird dogged this and other sites long before buying mine. I went from a '98 Polaris Scrambler 500 to the P5. Scrambler is faster top end but the Honda would drag it around all day. Love the paddle shifters, my everyday driver is a stick and having the ability to down shift and grab power when you need it was the deal maker for me. You'll be able to drive it by the bone yard full of rzr's in 20 yrs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!