winch fairleads

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Ive been shopping around for a winch for my 700, I noticed that a winch with wire rope usually has a roller fairlead and a winch with synth. rope usually has a hawse fairlead, anyone know why they don't use a roller fairlead with the syth rope? Some shed some light on this, I've been pondering it long enough.
tia
Ben

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
- Winch rope is designed to flatten-out under load, and therefor could get pinched in the corners of a roller fairlead.
- A steel roller (even a new one) gets weatherized and rusted quickly and is not good for the rope.
- Synthetic winch rope is actually too smooth to roll the roller.
- An old roller fairlead is not good for the rope, especially if scuffed.
- A roller fairlead is much heavier.
- A roller fairlead sticks out further, reducing approach angle.
- Bolts, or spindles with C-clips on a roller might cause a winch rope to snag. Aluminum fairlead has nothing in front for the rope to catch on.

Last edited:
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
thanks scott, Ive never had a winch with the synth rope, I can't imagine it lasting long in my world i'll more than likly be getting one with wire rope

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I am currently run Syn. rope and have been surprised by it. I have a fray guard in case of direct contact with a rock but so far its holding up well

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
A fray in both will cause huge trouble its all comfort and preferences syn weights less and steel is more tolerable so its a toss up

Reactions: allgm1
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you don't like rope, you will after you nick your hand good one time on that cable. Or backlash it on the trail. As for longevity, I have had a rope since 2007 and it will still hold a load. That winch is long and gone but the rope stays as a extension rope. I will never use cable again and can not recommend it under any circumstances except for the pocket pitcher.

Digging up a lost post here, but a good read.
http://hondasxs.com/threads/winch-line-cable-vs-synthetic-rope.91/

Reactions: jak9922
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
If you don't like rope, you will after you nick your hand good one time on that cable. Or backlash it on the trail. As for longevity, I have had a rope since 2007 and it will still hold a load. That winch is long and gone but the rope stays as a extension rope. I will never use cable again and can not recommend it under any circumstances except for the pocket pitcher.

Digging up a lost post here, but a good read.
http://hondasxs.com/threads/winch-line-cable-vs-synthetic-rope.91/

Oh I'm well aware of the hazards of handling a wire rope, I've had one on my 98 foreman since new. 99% of the time when I broke a steel cable it was when I was plowing so I had gloves with me the rest of the times you just need to handle it with care and DON'T slide your hand down the cable. I always made sure I carried spare u-bolts and a wrench for them in case I broke a cable while away from home.

Reactions: Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!