P1000 winch mount kit for Pioneer 1000

L

lazye

Mar 19, 2016
texas
I'm new to this site and not sure if this has been ask before but here's my question.

I bought the Honda winch mount kit 08L72-HL4-A04 for my 1000 -5D and just now getting around to installing.
The instructions seems a little excessive for running the winch ground wire to the rear of the machine.
Is there a reason to take the ground all way to the rear. They tell you to take out the seat,floor,sides,dash,
back floor panel. just to land the ground wire to a specified location. Is this a safety or CYA thing or am I missing something?
Any help would be appreiciated.
Thanks

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm new to this site and not sure if this has been ask before but here's my question.

I bought the Honda winch mount kit 08L72-HL4-A04 for my 1000 -5D and just now getting around to installing.
The instructions seems a little excessive for running the winch ground wire to the rear of the machine.
Is there a reason to take the ground all way to the rear. They tell you to take out the seat,floor,sides,dash,
back floor panel. just to land the ground wire to a specified location. Is this a safety or CYA thing or am I missing something?
Thanks
That seems weird as hell!! I ran directly to battery I figured there was no better ground and it was very close. I can't imagine why or that you would have to

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
I grounded mine on the top rail under the seat then pushed the wires up to the front then Zip tied everything. Just remember to keep the wire away from moving parts. Also if you have the accessory harness you can reach it from the front passenger side and hook it up by feel. 95 percent of the instructions are taking the thing apart. When I did mine I did not take anything apart and it went just fine.

L

lazye

Mar 19, 2016
texas
I grounded mine on the top rail under the seat then pushed the wires up to the front then Zip tied everything. Just remember to keep the wire away from moving parts. Also if you have the accessory harness you can reach it from the front passenger side and hook it up by feel. 95 percent of the instructions are taking the thing apart. When I did mine I did not take anything apart and it went just fine.
Thanks- I wasn't sure if that was some sort of fail safe that would allow you to operate the winch while only in neutral or something like that. I haven't even bought the winch yet just the $300.00 winch mount. The service guy where I bought it from told me not to bring it to them, it was too labor intense and he couldn't make any $$ on it. Says he was a 10 year Honda Mechanic.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks- I wasn't sure if that was some sort of fail safe that would allow you to operate the winch while only in neutral or something like that. I haven't even bought the winch yet just the $300.00 winch mount. The service guy where I bought it from told me not to bring it to them, it was too labor intense and he couldn't make any $$ on it. Says he was a 10 year Honda Mechanic.
Yes it's crazy the amount of labor it takes to put the winch on by using their instructions. I kinda thought it was a gimmick and that they were trying to get as much shop labor as possible or just maki g it look overwhelming so you feel like you have to take it to them. I think it took me about 2hrs to install I was also taking my time to make sure it was a clean job.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You might want to take that back winch mounts for the machine are like 55 on eBay or Amazon. When you buy the winch the normally come with general install kit. I literally bought a mount and a warn 4500 for my 700 and was done. It took about an hour to assemble. I then took that winch off it and reinstalled it on my 1000 bought a install bracket for that one and was done

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The only Honda accessories I'd buy are windshield roof bed extender and any kind of cab enclosure (at least till someone else makes them) they really aren't better and lots more money. Some are a little easier as is usually plug and play but look around here a bit and people will help.

Reactions: joeymt33
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Part of the cost is due to them adding the winch solenoid and some wiring. When you buy the winch from honda it is just the winch and cable if I remember right. Its still way more money than going aftermarket with that said though.
Honda uses warn which is great but you can up it to the 4500 warn that comes with everything minus the plate then get the plate too and it's same money as just winch from Honda

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Honda uses warn which is great but you can up it to the 4500 warn that comes with everything minus the plate then get the plate too and it's same money as just winch from Honda
yep thats what I said they're cheaper aftermarket. I think the only difference will be is you don't get the one harness that plugs into the aux plug harness in the dash for the winch controller power. I personally would go with a Superwinch after having the Warn UTV winch. I think its a little better of a unit and I've been a Warn lover all my life

Reactions: CumminsPusher
L

lazye

Mar 19, 2016
texas
Has anyone installed the wireless remote kit PN 90288 to the Warn 4500 Honda winch?
I saved $$$ from doing the winch install myself so I thought I would spend another $150 or so.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Has anyone installed the wireless remote kit PN 90288 to the Warn 4500 Honda winch?
I saved $$$ from doing the winch install myself so I thought I would spend another $150 or so.
Yes. It's simple! The remote sender hooks up identical to the wired remote. We wired for remote as well but that was stupid the cord takes too much room in the glove box and stays at home. There's a dash switch as backup

Reactions: CashMoney
L

lazye

Mar 19, 2016
texas
Yes. It's simple! The remote sender hooks up identical to the wired remote. We wired for remote as well but that was stupid the cord takes too much room in the glove box and stays at home. There's a dash switch as backup
I still have a few questions-#1. there is a brown wire that goes to the contactor from the wired remote but not on the wireless harness. What is the function of this wire.# 2. where did you pick up the switched wire red (ON) with the ignition from the harness.#3. did you splice (parallel) the green and black going to the contactor spade terminals. thanks for your help

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The closest white wire with black tracer to the passenger side of the factory fuse block is your turn on wire for ignition. Either tap into that or add a fuse extension in the box under accessory I prefer this way so your not hacking into main wire harness if you do use a good tap or better solder. I know pics are on this site let me check it out and I'll get back. The rest I'll have to look at home on mine. Ok here is the pic of the spot thanks to @Hondasxs

Last edited:
L

lazye

Mar 19, 2016
texas
View attachment 14682 View attachment 14675 The closest white wire with black tracer to the passenger side of the factory fuse block is your turn on wire for ignition. Either tap into that or add a fuse extension in the box under accessory I prefer this way so your not hacking into main wire harness if you do use a good tap or better solder. I know pics are on this site let me check it out and I'll get back. The rest I'll have to look at home on mine. Ok here is the pic of the spot thanks to @Hondasxs
ok thanks for the info!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
ok thanks for the info!
Absolutely! I'll get back with rest later I just don't remember the wire colors off hand for the rest

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
A late reply I know but as for the ground wire location it is about current flow. DC power is w/ high amperage hence the large cable required, also DC flows from (-) to (+) which originates from the engine (alternator) ground so that is why they run the cable directly to source - the engine. The battery harness/cable is relative small in comparison. That portion of the harness is designed to start the machine & keep it charged only that is that portion of the wiring harness's only designed function, not to run a high amp load such as winch. Not to forget the affect of pulling directly off the battery w/ that load - these are not deep cycle batteries. Yes! It was a major headache & time consuming task to almost remove every piece of plastic on this machine but Warn & Honda designed it that way & @ the end of the day you will not smoke the harness or any other of the machine's electrical component(s). Just my 2 cents worth & enjoy your ride.

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!