P1000 Winch Mount Opinions Wanted

S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All.
Fairly new owner here getting my P1000-5 ready for the upcoming trail riding season here in New England. I recently received a Baldland 5000 lb winch (I have a close relative who works at a local Harbor Freight store). I realize this may not be the highest quality winch but I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it out.
The question is - what winch mount is best. I see KFI ,Kolpin, Moose And SuperATV. I see some of these mounts attach inside the bumper, some use the front differential bolts for mounting (SuperATV uses the diff bolts, KFI might also).
So far I’ve been leaning toward the SuperATV mount. But, Is there some advantage to winch mounting in the bumper versus to the differential mount???
Which winch mount style / brand would you all recommend? Are there any mounts I should completely avoid??

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had the KFI winch mount, the warn winch mount, an RD bumper and now the Warn bumper. The KFI winch mount installs fast but the cable angle sucks and the bolts always come loose. It's cheap but not great. The Warn winch mount is beefy, installs pretty easy and the cable angle is ok. The cable is tough to see on the drum and a bit harder to wrap. The winch is also upside down. Overall it's a decent mount at a good price and better than the KFI in my experience. The RD bumper was flimsy, the upper mounts are a joke. It's not worth the money. The Warn bumper is ridiculously expensive but looks cool. It leaves a big gap at the lower bumper mounts but the warn winch plate fills the gap. The winch mount itself leaves the winch out in the open and awesome for recovery. The winch mounting points are beefy and it fits very well. The bumper does protrude a bit more than stock but also makes it easy to clean the whole radiator.

R

rickoshea

agree on the kfi angle.it's bad,but for the amount of times i've used my winch so far it will do for now but i don't recommend it. never had an issue with the bolts,i used red thread locker on them.

Reactions: JenElio
S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the details ToddACimer. I was considering a whole new bumper with integrated winch mount, but that is a bit out of my budget right now. Plus I honestly like the look on the stock bumper.
Thanks for the opinions so far folks. Looking forward to more.

D

DDDonkey

I am using the satv winch mount and like it, it is cheap and easy. I also run my winch upside down for a better angle, one thing to note is that I am on my second mount. The first one I bent when my 5yr old leaned on the winch button and pulled then hook through the fairlead. I am now also running the lower half of the satv bumper for a better look and recovery points, as the bumper is made to hold a 3500lbs winch.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had the KFI winch mount, the warn winch mount, an RD bumper and now the Warn bumper. The KFI winch mount installs fast but the cable angle sucks and the bolts always come loose. It's cheap but not great. The Warn winch mount is beefy, installs pretty easy and the cable angle is ok. The cable is tough to see on the drum and a bit harder to wrap. The winch is also upside down. Overall it's a decent mount at a good price and better than the KFI in my experience. The RD bumper was flimsy, the upper mounts are a joke. It's not worth the money. The Warn bumper is ridiculously expensive but looks cool. It leaves a big gap at the lower bumper mounts but the warn winch plate fills the gap. The winch mount itself leaves the winch out in the open and awesome for recovery. The winch mounting points are beefy and it fits very well. The bumper does protrude a bit more than stock but also makes it easy to clean the whole radiator.
I just ordered a Warn Axon 45S. I am going to order the Warn bumper. what else do I need to complete the installation? Warn mount plate? Fairlead bracket? Thanks, Jay

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just ordered a Warn Axon 45S. I am going to order the Warn bumper. what else do I need to complete the installation? Warn mount plate? Fairlead bracket? Thanks, Jay

I don't know what the Axon comes with for a fairlead and fairlead mount. There's a big gap under the warn bumper so you might want to buy the warn plow mount to protect the front of the frame

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Hi All.
Fairly new owner here getting my P1000-5 ready for the upcoming trail riding season here in New England. I recently received a Baldland 5000 lb winch (I have a close relative who works at a local Harbor Freight store). I realize this may not be the highest quality winch but I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it out.
The question is - what winch mount is best. I see KFI ,Kolpin, Moose And SuperATV. I see some of these mounts attach inside the bumper, some use the front differential bolts for mounting (SuperATV uses the diff bolts, KFI might also).
So far I’ve been leaning toward the SuperATV mount. But, Is there some advantage to winch mounting in the bumper versus to the differential mount???
Which winch mount style / brand would you all recommend? Are there any mounts I should completely avoid??

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Welcome to the club from WV!! Attached are some links I hope you find useful. One is a video of a Viper Elite 4500 install (shout out to @Russ989) and the other link is what I have installed on my machine all from club store. Send some pics!!

Video: Viper Elite 4500 Install

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I’ve got the badlands 5000 winch on a Kfi mount using the HF fairlead and 7000 lb rope I found on eBay.

Clearly I have violated all of the “rules” of a quality winch setup lol.

I’ll give it to you straight.

I have stalled out this setup more than once in pulling my self out of deep heavy wet snow. Thought for sure I was going to pull something off but never once did. Maybe with a snatch block I would have.

I’ve never had a loose bolt etc.

I don’t like the winch cable angle as it seems to want to pull the front down...and it sure puts stress on the roller fairlead.

Other wise it works for me and gets the job done.

B

bikmakr

Mar 8, 2020
nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm playing around with the idea of a 2" hitch receiver front and back. That way I can plug the winch in where necessary. I have the Agency rear mount on order. Does anyone know who makes a front receiver?

advertisement
S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am using the satv winch mount and like it, it is cheap and easy. I also run my winch upside down for a better angle, one thing to note is that I am on my second mount. The first one I bent when my 5yr old leaned on the winch button and pulled then hook through the fairlead. I am now also running the lower half of the satv bumper for a better look and recovery points, as the bumper is made to hold a 3500lbs winch.

Thanks DDDonkey. Did you make a video about that?? That video is what go me interested in the SATY mount.

S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome to the club from WV!! Attached are some links I hope you find useful. One is a video of a Viper Elite 4500 install (shout out to @Russ989) and the other link is what I have installed on my machine all from club store. Send some pics!!

Video: Viper Elite 4500 Install

Hi ProudDadOf5. Thanks for the warm welcome! That is a nice setup you have there. If I had not gotten gifted this Badland 5000; I would be saving up for that Viper setup.

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Hi ProudDadOf5. Thanks for the warm welcome! That is a nice setup you have there. If I had not gotten gifted this Badland 5000; I would be saving up for that Viper setup.
You can use the badlands winch on a KFI winch mount. 👍🏻

S

sdex2112

Oct 28, 2019
MA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have stalled out this setup more than once in pulling my self out of deep heavy wet snow. Thought for sure I was going to pull something off but never once did. Maybe with a snatch block I would have.
Thanks Vikes79. Are you saying the winch stalled, like it stopped, not enough power?

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here is my homemade winch mount as I wanted to be able to see and get to winch with out a head stand, works great. Even installed a fairlead on the bottom so winch cable goes straight down to lift the plow.

20161021 164041 001 20161021 164204 20161229 093201

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!