P500 Winch mounting above frame rails on P5?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I searched and did not find this topic.

I’m installing a Warn plow mount, winch mount and VRX 3500 on a ‘17 P5. The instructions have me mount it below the frame extensions in front of the front differential.

Can I put in spacers to raise the mounting bracket and mount it above as shown? Or cut out a piece of the bumper?

Why? Up higher out of mud/ crud and the force is applied to the frame at tge same points.

950e6fd629c7d29cb94cd1c77e504935

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

I’m installing a Warn plow mount, winch mount and VRX 3500 on a ‘17 P5. The instructions have me mount it below the frame extensions in front of the front differential.

Can I put in spacers to raise the mounting bracket and mount it above as shown? Or cut out a piece of the bumper?

Why? Up higher out of mud/ crud and the force is applied to the frame at tge same points.

View attachment 162145

It should be OK, my KFI mount sits high and does not restrict air flow.

Last edited:
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks. I wonder if the cable angle to the plow gets too tight and wears the cable?

I need to call Warn and see if they sell the spacers. I can’t be the first guy to want to do this.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
As for the angle and wearing out the cable...been plowing with mine for 3 yrs now and have only had to replace the synthetic line once. It was partially my fault, hooking it up to the plow bracket at a severe downward angle. I would also recommend the roller fairlead as opposed to the hawse for plowing, just makes it easier on your cable.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the KFI plough specific fairlead Pulley and bracket. Mounts on in place of fairlead works great for plow specific set up.

UtahJeff

UtahJeff

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2018
Marysvale Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks. I wonder if the cable angle to the plow gets too tight and wears the cable?

I need to call Warn and see if they sell the spacers. I can’t be the first guy to want to do this.

Use the synthetic snowplow cable available at RMATV, been using it for years on my Rancher set up.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks again. Too much work since I already have the Warn mount to return and reorder. I still think I could flip the Warn bracket and put 2 pieces of bar stock on the tube to lift it up. Bit I don’t want to learn my engineering gut feeling was incorrect at the wrong time.

R

Rfran98

Jul 9, 2018
Fitchburg Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 162145

I use the KFI mount on my P5 forks great with plowing

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I measured today and I’d have to grind off 1/4 inch plus on frame members to have top of Warn VRX 35 fit against the plate. No go.

What plate and fairlead do you buy? It was included with the Warn.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Operator error- I didn’t read the instructions correctly. The Warn mount goes under the 2 frame rail extensions, not above. The winch should attach- my screw-up.

There- I admitted it.

Don’t tell my wife :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I put it in the correct way yesterday- it fits. The fairlead and winch are lower than I’d originally hoped, but for my purposes it will work.

Now onto the electrical.

Can I snake the 2 wires battery to the relay under the hood without dropping the belly pan?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I put it in the correct way yesterday- it fits. The fairlead and winch are lower than I’d originally hoped, but for my purposes it will work.

Now onto the electrical.

Can I snake the 2 wires battery to the relay under the hood without dropping the belly pan?

You could if you take the plastics under the seat off, probably need a fish tape. You can route them better and fasten them to the frame if you drop the skid though. ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!