P500 Winch on Rear Cab Rails

J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Was thinking about suspending a cheap 1000# winch between the upper end of the cab rails/roll bar. Then use it to pull deer/pig up a 2x6" ramp onto the rack. You think it could bend the cab rails?

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Shouldn't, it is designed for a rollover. I mounted one on the rear top bar on a Polaris Ranger for my dad to load deer and it works great. He doesn't even field dress them until he gets the head and neck in bed. He has some mobility issues and this set up keeps him hunting. He upgraded to a Kubota with a full cab and we put the same setup on it.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Was thinking about suspending a cheap 1000# winch between the upper end of the cab rails/roll bar. Then use it to pull deer/pig up a 2x6" ramp onto the rack. You think it could bend the cab rails?
Send us some photo's if you do this.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JP51

Jun 24, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Shouldn't, it is designed for a rollover. I mounted one on the rear top bar on a Polaris Ranger for my dad to load deer and it works great. He doesn't even field dress them until he gets the head and neck in bed. He has some mobility issues and this set up keeps him hunting. He upgraded to a Kubota with a full cab and we put the same setup on it.
Are you saying I shouldn't because it's designed for a rollover? But then you say your Dad did pretty the same thing and it works great?

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think he was answering your question about bending the “cab rails”.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Are you saying I shouldn't because it's designed for a rollover? But then you say your Dad did pretty the same thing and it works great?
I am saying do it, it shouldn't hurt the roll bar. Pulled dozens of deer into the bed of a Polaris Ranger with no issues.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I don't think I would without talking to somebody who has. The ROPS is designed to help you survive a rollover but I don't think it is designed to survive a rollover it's self. I could be and probably am wrong but I think I'd find someone who has done it before trying it myself. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Backwoods
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

It would be fine for pulling up game IMO. The problem is someone would try to use it to get out of a mud hole, then it could do some damage.

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I have a15p500 the previous owner had that set-up. He said it worked great… I have moved it to a receiver hitch mount. I use a hitch-hauler to transition to the ‘Deer Hurst’. FYI I’ve installed the Moose receiver hitch.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I have a15p500 the previous owner had that set-up. He said it worked great… I have moved it to a receiver hitch mount. I use a hitch-hauler to transition to the ‘Deer Hurst’. FYI I’ve installed the Moose receiver hitch.
But I don't think I'd try to lift a moose with it.
Bad attempt at a joke, sorry.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like a good idea for skidding game onto rear rack/box. And if you ever flopped it on its side could use to set it upright.

Reactions: Smitty335
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
It would be fine for pulling up game IMO. The problem is someone would try to use it to get out of a mud hole, then it could do some damage.
For really, really big game, like a Popo-potamus.
8EB37F85 457E 4FA2 B2A2 D89C9BAFFC26

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!