P1000 Winch problem’s

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a new viper max 5000 on 1000-5. I got stuck 4 times in the creek the other night and on the 4th time I burnt the motor up. They sent me a new motor ASAP and I am happy with their service. My buddy told me I need to use a snatch block pulley to avoid this. I had another buddy burn his new winch up this week. Is this normal? Do you have to let winches cool down between uses or did I just get a pos winch motor. I want to avoid in the future, I have a snatch block pulley so I will use it but I’m looking for some advice. Around here if you get in a rough stretch of creek it will not be uncommon to get stuck several times before you make it back to the road.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a new viper max 5000 on 1000-5. I got stuck 4 times in the creek the other night and on the 4th time I burnt the motor up. They sent me a new motor ASAP and I am happy with their service. My buddy told me I need to use a snatch block pulley to avoid this. I had another buddy burn his new winch up this week. Is this normal? Do you have to let winches cool down between uses or did I just get a pos winch motor. I want to avoid in the future, I have a snatch block pulley so I will use it but I’m looking for some advice. Around here if you get in a rough stretch of creek it will not be uncommon to get stuck several times before you make it back to the road.
Read your manual, it will actually have a section that will outline how long you can pull and then how long to let the motor rest. If you are doing nonstop pulling and not letting it rest or pulling too long it’s going to burn it up.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Read your manual, it will actually have a section that will outline how long you can pull and then how long to let the motor rest. If you are doing nonstop pulling and not letting it rest or pulling too long it’s going to burn it up.
Mine, like many others is the 4500w. as Russ was replying I was trying to find the part on duty cycle in the manual. Mine is on page 13. Short cycle I know but you get the idea. These motors have no way to cool themselves during use. The heavier the load the more heat produced and the shorter the usage cycle. Anything you can do to reduce the load on the motor will increase duty cycle. Furthermore I don't think you'll find a brand that is made any different as far as cycle times.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a duty cycle rating for winches. Like was stated, will tell you how long you can run the winch and how long to let it cool. Usually expressed as a percentage. Electric winches are not 100% duty cycle, like hydraulic winches. They must be allowed to cool, but can still operate without the motor running. But, just for an emergency extraction. No running motor means no stator charging the battery to replenish the charge you are using.

Warn truck winches I've seen have duty cycles that vary from high 50's to high 70's and Harbor Freight may only be 5%.

The higher the load on the motor, the worse stuck you are, the quicker the motor gets hot.

A good basic rule is...... If the motor is too hot to hold you hand against it, it needs to be allowed to cool down.

Many Warn truck winches have thermometric hand held remotes, even wireless, that indicate motor temps and will even automatically shut down the winch to prevent operator error.

Snatch blocks will essentially double your pulling capacity, assuming you're battery system has the available current, amps.
It slows your line speed to half. But, decreases the strain on your line by half, and decreases the strain on your motor.

You have to pull out more line, but the closer you get down to the wraps on the drum, itself, the more pulling power and efficiency you gain.

These newer snatch blocks using synthetic ropes are stronger than steel and easy to use. I carry both. Many sources sell them. Factor 55 tests all products to failure. They show this on their YouTube site. 100% American designed and manufactured and material sourced company.

Just a PS... You want to see crazy winch mods, go to YouTube, search for Gigglepin, dual winch motors, Red Hornet winch. Based on the Warn 8274 which which is an 8000 pound, 2 direction in/out, and came out in 1974...... They run two motors and compete in winch competitions.

I have an original Warn 8274 from 1976, cost $599, the 50th anniversary 8274-50 is over $2000, and the 70th anniversary 8274-70 is over $2500. I could not sell mine, it never failed me.

Sorry for the long post.
Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
L

Last edited:
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
winch has a 2 minute maximum continuous run time. After that you need to let it cool

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a duty cycle rating for winches. Like was stated, will tell you how long you can run the winch and how long to let it cool. Usually expressed as a percentage. Electric winches are not 100% duty cycle, like hydraulic winches. They must be allowed to cool, but can still operate without the motor running. But, just for an emergency extraction. No running motor means no stator charging the battery to replenish the charge you are using.

Warn truck winches I've seen have duty cycles that vary from high 50's to high 70's and Harbor Freight may only be 5%.

The higher the load on the motor, the worse stuck you are, the quicker the motor gets hot.

A good basic rule is...... If the motor is too hot to hold you hand against it, it needs to be allowed to cool down.

Many Warn truck winches have thermometric hand held remotes, even wireless, that indicate motor temps and will even automatically shut down the winch to prevent operator error.

Snatch blocks will essentially double your pulling capacity, assuming you're battery system has the available current, amps.
It slows your line speed to half. But, decreases the strain on your line by half, and decreases the strain on your motor.

You have to pull out more line, but the closer you get down to the wraps on the drum, itself, the more pulling power and efficiency you gain.

These newer snatch blocks using synthetic ropes are stronger than steel and easy to use. I carry both. Many sources sell them. Factor 55 tests all products to failure. They show this on their YouTube site. 100% American designed and manufactured and material sourced company.

Just a PS... You want to see crazy winch mods, go to YouTube, search for Gigglepin, dual winch motors, Red Hornet winch. Based on the Warn 8274 which which is an 8000 pound, 2 direction in/out, and came out in 1974...... They run two motors and compete in winch competitions.

I have an original Warn 8274 from 1976, cost $599, the 50th anniversary 8274-50 is over $2000, and the 70th anniversary 8274-70 is over $2500. I could not sell mine, it never failed me.

Sorry for the long post.
L

Had a ‘74 8274 in full working condition and sold it for $1800, ran across gigglepin. I think it was 6-7k if you really build up on of there’s off a new winch.

• Wow
Reactions: JenElio and TxDoc
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After reading your responses. It’s clear to me that I abused my winch. My manual says 1 minute break after 30 seconds of heavy pulling.

That’s pretty decent 50% duty cycle.

And which is why you don’t buy HF winch, they are 5% duty cycle which amounts to 30seconds every 10mins.

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Its listed as 5% (45 sec at Max Rated Load; 14 min, 15 sec Rest). Even after accounting for mud its being pulled through i don't see 5k worth of force being put on the winch for more than possibly the initial burp to get it moving. If you're stuck worse than that you've got bigger problems anyway and will require the help of multiple witches no matter what size you have other than maybe a 10k+ rated winch.

Reactions: Mudwing and JenElio
SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I can't find a loaded duty cycle for the warn winches. Just a 2.5 run to 12 minute cool no load duty cycle rating.

Reactions: TxDoc
advertisement
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't find a loaded duty cycle for the warn winches. Just a 2.5 run to 12 minute cool no load duty cycle rating.
Search for PDF files on warn.com in owner's manual. It'll show current draw at various loads.

Or call customer service 800-543-9276

Keep searching. Like a research paper. Don't weaken.

Reactions: ohanacreek
SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Search for PDF files on warn.com in owner's manual. It'll show current draw at various loads.

Or call customer service 800-543-9276

Keep searching. Like a research paper. Don't weaken.

I was just looking to compare. We have a badlands zxr 5k on my wifes p1k and its doing great.

Reactions: JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!