P1000 Winch cable broke

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I broke the cable on my warn winch on my 1000-5. The only identifying number on the winch is PN 89137. Searching warns website reveals no oem information. I measured the cable with calibers and it’s .22”. I cannot find that size cable anywhere. It’s 50’. Any suggestions?

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If it is synthetic and you do not need 50 feet, google synthetic winch cable repair, and fix what you have.
I watched the video and fixed mine. Take your time, it is a painfully slow process with our small synthetic ropes.
Have a good day

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
.22 is going to be commonly referred to as 1/4" cable. If you want to stay with steel cable, buy that.

It's a good opportunity to switch to Synthetic. 10x better in my opinion. The only thing is, you would need to file and sand completely smooth all of the surfaces your cable shredded up (rollers and such) so they don't eat up your Synthetic line. Good time to also go to a hawse fairlead.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
.22 is going to be commonly referred to as 1/4" cable. If you want to stay with steel cable, buy that.

It's a good opportunity to switch to Synthetic. 10x better in my opinion. The only thing is, you would need to file and sand completely smooth all of the surfaces your cable shredded up (rollers and such) so they don't eat up your Synthetic line. Good time to also go to a hawse fairlead.
Bein' ole skool an' such, I'm hard to learn.
ogy.gif
But even I can be taught that synthetic is (usually) better 'n steel. Amsteel Blue is highly recommended and available through the club store.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If it is synthetic and you do not need 50 feet, google synthetic winch cable repair, and fix what you have.
I watched the video and fixed mine. Take your time, it is a painfully slow process with our small synthetic ropes.
Have a good day
Did the show using an ink pen for a thimble ?

Reactions: Biteme and CID
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A new 1/4" synthetic line can be had for less than $20 . . . doesn't make a lot of sense to repair one even if there's no obvious signs of other wear - unless the previous damage is near the end so you aren't losing much length in the fix.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A new 1/4" synthetic line can be had for less than $20 . . . doesn't make a lot of sense to repair one even if there's no obvious signs of other wear - unless the previous damage is near the end so you aren't losing much length in the fix.
Keep the old line to extend yer reach.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!