P500 Winch solenoid in remote to rocker switch

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
So, I have to admit, electrical work isn't my strong point. So, I am looking to see if anyone has experience with what I am thinking of trying.

My P500 had a winch come with it and it was wired to a big fat switch (which has the solenoid in it). On one side of the solenoid, it has the winch in and out buttons. The other side has 8 connectors/posts.

I got a 7 pin winch rocker switch that I want to use instead of this bulky thing. Can I use this solenoid, bypass the built-in buttons and wire my rocker switch to it? If so, any of you know of a wiring diagram I can follow?

Thanks!
PXL 20210109 034640693
PXL 20210109 034651576

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is old school right here.

I bet you don't have an actual contactor box do you. (See image of common contactor)

Those red & black wires.
One set runs to the winch. The other to the battery?
Is that right?
3172f1c3e67d50ca40e76dcf2a68c2a2

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
This is old school right here.

I bet you don't have an actual contactor box do you. (See image of common contactor)

Those red & black wires.
One set runs to the winch. The other to the battery?
Is that right?
View attachment 248015
Yep, one set runs to the battery and other to the winch. I do not have any other contactor or solenoid in the setup.

I was hoping to use this to save time and money, but I assume I'll just end up buying a contactor/solenoid like the image you shared.

Thank you!

H

HondaTech

That's like the old Warn contactor that turned to switch direction. Like this:

36015 b 1024x1024

You might have to get a newer style contactor to make a switch work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!