P1000 Winch switch wiring

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've looked through the forum and I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I bought a badlands 5k winch and I would like to wire in an on/off switch in with the in/out switch. Can someone point me in the right direction of a detailed writeup or tell me how to do it? Maybe the store has something that would work? I saw a winch wire harness but I don't think it will do what I want it to do, but I'm far from an electrical expert.

Reactions: Lady01 and Brmcg324
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you trying to turn on and off? The power to the In and Out switch? Most people use a key on wire connection to power the In and Out switch. The relay should be directly connected to you battery and the winch.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you trying to turn on and off? The power to the In and Out switch? Most people use a key on wire connection to power the In and Out switch. The relay should be directly connected to you battery and the winch.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That's not the way my '21 SE winch was delivered from Honda! The winch contactor (reversing relay) was wired directly to the battery. Nothing about the installation was "Key-On" and I consider that to be a good feature allowing use of the winch key-off and engine not running (what if it can't be run for whatever reason? Then key-on for the winch would just wasting power for ECU etc. and possibly screwing things up by powering the ECU with low voltage). This does not preclude the engine from being run while winching, and it fact that's always a good idea where possible so the electrical system can help supply the battery under load.

On my factory installation, Honda got around the issue of accidental winch operation by using a wired remote that you have to plug in to a socket inside the glove box. While this works, IMO it's sub-optimal as the wire is a hassle and is only long enough to get you to the front of the vehicle. To correct this, I installed a wireless receiver and remote - the receiver has a kill switch on the dash so power to the receiver must be turned on before the remote works - again, no key-on power required.

To the OP, if you are going to do the wiring yourself (i.e. not buy a complete harness) what you need is a double pole, double throw, center off, momentary rocker switch (DPDT, MOM-OFF-MOM). This will be wired with the outer 4 poles (two on each end, wired to the two poles on the other end like an "X". Power is applied to the two poles on one end, so depending on which way the switch is activated, power to the center two terminals will be reversed. This way the switch acts both as a momentary on-off and to reverse polarity to the winch contactor depending on which way the switch is moved.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, power going to the in/out switch. Once I figure out how to tap off the key on that will go to the on/off. The on/off switch is just there as a safety precaution so when someone other than myself is driving or riding they don't accidentally hit the in/out switch. In my old ranger the winch switch was under the dash so there wasn't really a need for a on/off switch, they couldn't accidentally hit it searching for the light switches. It the pioneer all the switches will be in the same cluster and I know they are going to hit it eventually... :rolleyes:

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's not the way my '21 SE winch was delivered from Honda! The winch contactor (reversing relay) was wired directly to the battery. Nothing about the installation was "Key-On" and I consider that to be a good feature allowing use of the winch key-off and engine not running (what if it can't be run for whatever reason? Then key-on for the winch would just wasting power for ECU etc. and possibly screwing things up by powering the ECU with low voltage). This does not preclude the engine from being run while winching, and it fact that's always a good idea where possible so the electrical system can help supply the battery under load.

On my factory installation, Honda got around the issue of accidental winch operation by using a wired remote that you have to plug in to a socket inside the glove box. While this works, IMO it's sub-optimal as the wire is a hassle and is only long enough to get you to the front of the vehicle. To correct this, I installed a wireless receiver and remote - the receiver has a kill switch on the dash so power to the receiver must be turned on before the remote works - again, no key-on power required.

To the OP, if you are going to do the wiring yourself (i.e. not buy a complete harness) what you need is a double pole, double throw, center off, momentary rocker switch (DPDT, MOM-OFF-MOM). This will be wired with the outer 4 poles (two on each end, wired to the two poles on the other end like an "X". Power is applied to the two poles on one end, so depending on which way the switch is activated, power to the center two terminals will be reversed. This way the switch acts both as a momentary on-off and to reverse polarity to the winch contactor depending on which way the switch is moved.
If I could buy a complete ready to go harness for what I'm doing I would. The winch came with a harness but I don't think the switch is lit and there is no provision for a on/off switch. I'm not opposed to direct wiring (no acc) but I'm not sure how I would tie it in with all the other acc items (extra lights) into the extra fuse box I want to put in.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I could buy a complete ready to go harness for what I'm doing I would. The winch came with a harness but I don't think the switch is lit and there is no provision for a on/off switch. I'm not opposed to direct wiring (no acc) but I'm not sure how I would tie it in with all the other acc items (extra lights) into the extra fuse box I want to put in.
I’m running the hf winch with the switch from the club store. I run all the power wires for the switch through my second fuse box controlled by a master switch. I’m thinking to get what you want your going to have to put something inline with power to the switch. I don’t know of anything pre wired to get that. It’s possible but I can’t think of any. I wasn’t a fan of the hf switch either.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is easy to do.

Are you looking to replace your winch switch you have now with a lighted one?
If yes, AND you want a winch power switch also...
If you buy both from me. Then, I can fix you right up.
I wont even charge any extra for wiring in the Winch power switch.

You would need to buy the pre-wired winch switch (recommend the premium version)
here -- Pre-Wired Winch in/out flush mount switch for Honda Pioneer.

and your choice of winch power rocker here --
This one -- POWER ROCKER SWITCH - SPST - ON/OFF SWITCH
or this one - "WENCH" POWER Rocker Switch - SPST - ON/OFF switch
or this one - WINCH POWER Rocker Switch - SPST - ON/OFF switch

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m running the hf winch with the switch from the club store. I run all the power wires for the switch through my second fuse box controlled by a master switch. I’m thinking to get what you want your going to have to put something inline with power to the switch. I don’t know of anything pre wired to get that. It’s possible but I can’t think of any. I wasn’t a fan of the hf switch either.
Did you do a writeup on how you did it? Did you wire up the the winch remote as well or did you just delete it?

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I
This is easy to do.

Are you looking to replace your winch switch you have now with a lighted one?
If yes, AND you want a winch power switch also...
If you buy both from me. Then, I can fix you right up.
I wont even charge any extra for wiring in the Winch power switch.

You would need to buy the pre-wired winch switch
here -- Pre-Wired Winch in/out flush mount switch for Honda Pioneer.

and your choice of winch power rocker here --
This one -- POWER ROCKER SWITCH - SPST - ON/OFF SWITCH
or this one - "WENCH" POWER Rocker Switch - SPST - ON/OFF switch
or this one - WINCH POWER Rocker Switch - SPST - ON/OFF switch
Thanks man! I would like to get rid of the harbor freight wiring harness totally and put in a on/off switch to the in/out switch. I'm still debating about the winch remote.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That's not the way my '21 SE winch was delivered from Honda! The winch contactor (reversing relay) was wired directly to the battery. Nothing about the installation was "Key-On" and I consider that to be a good feature allowing use of the winch key-off and engine not running (what if it can't be run for whatever reason?
Not to question you...
But you sure this was not altered?
Honda would not (or should not) have wired it in that manor for key-off usage.

advertisement
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you do a writeup on how you did it? Did you wire up the the winch remote as well or did you just delete it?
I have both the rocker and the wired remote. The wired just piggy backs onto the spade connectors the club winch set up uses. I think I treated the remote like a second switch and ran its power through a differ slot in my fuse box.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have both the rocker and the wired remote. The wired just piggy backs onto the spade connectors the club winch set up uses. I think I treated the remote like a second switch and ran its power through a differ slot in my fuse box.
Ah, gotcha

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to question you...
But you sure this was not altered?
Honda would not (or should not) have wired it in that manor for key-off usage.

Absolutely, positively for sure. I picked it up new at the dealer. The '21 SE comes with no winch switches on the dash at all. The winch contactor comes wired directly to the battery and winch. The winch control cable is wired directly to the receptacle jack inside the glovebox. To use the winch, plug in the remote, no other switches besides what's on the remote. Key-on not needed.

I left that system in place as is. Moved the winch contactor wiring to the aux battery. Added a wireless receiver and remotes $20. Receiver power is enabled by a small round rocker switch on the dash (bottom row just to the right of the thermometer). The smaller momentary button below the dual voltmeter (that looks like a plastic rivet in the pic), applies ground to the meter so when pressed it'll show battery voltages without key-on.

20211221 215040

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Absolutely, positively for sure. I picked it up new at the dealer. The '21 SE comes with no winch switches on the dash at all. The winch contactor comes wired directly to the battery and winch. The winch control cable is wired directly to the receptacle jack inside the glovebox. To use the winch, plug in the remote, no other switches besides what's on the remote. Key-on not needed.

I left that system in place as is. Moved the winch contactor wiring to the aux battery. Added a wireless receiver and remotes $20. Receiver power is enabled by a small round rocker switch on the dash (bottom row just to the right of the thermometer). The smaller momentary button below the dual voltmeter (that looks like a plastic rivet in the pic), applies ground to the meter so when pressed it'll show battery voltages without key-on.

View attachment 323239
I'm going to have to look into that as it will effect my item we have for the factory winch... of which I assumed fit the SE as well.
But if the SE is key-off usage. I need to inform my clients of this.
Thanks for the feedback.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, let me look at them tonight and I'll PM you. I got two puppies I'm chasing around right now and it's kinda hard to focus at the moment. 😆
I have the switch and harness from the store on my dash and it works great. Plug and play into the factory harness. Are you aware that this switch is a momentary contact and has to be held on? Pretty hard to bump it by mistake and cause damage as it will not stay on unless held. Just checking.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the switch and harness from the store on my dash and it works great. Plug and play into the factory harness. Are you aware that this switch is a momentary contact and has to be held on? Pretty hard to bump it by mistake and cause damage as it will not stay on unless held. Just checking.
Yes, I just have a case of OCD and it will bug the hell out of me.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't take but seconds to do damage IF the winch line is already reeled in and some youngster (or someone who's older yet clueless) pushes on the "IN" part of the button.
Like my wife...:rolleyes:

You know, I would need one of those nuclear launch boxes with a key to make it foolproof...wait....then I would probably lose the key...:oops:

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!