P1000m5 Wind shield wiper wiring

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
OK I need someone to help me wire my windshield wiper. I bought the windshield wiper with my 1000 pioneer but did not get the switch panel. The wiper has four wires. How do I wire this without the factory switch panel? I have seen some wiring diagrams but I just don't understand them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you need more info or explanation I will give it my best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
If you need more info or explanation I will give it my best.

Yes sir I will need some help. I have no idea what this means. I'm very capable of doing the wiring, testing wires, soldering and all that, I'm just not to familiar with the different types of relays. Any help would be great.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, here I go. I hope this straightens things out for you. Please don't be offended if I write something really stupid that you already know.

The wiper operates off of 12v negative ground.

First, right click on the image, save it and print it. It's easier if you have it in front of you for reference. H/T to @ohanacreek for this drawing.

Wiper Wiring

Second - Here is the relay I used...

Dorman Conduct-Tite 88069 - Relay | O'Reilly Auto Parts

All this relay is used for is to route ground to the wiper. The pins will be marked properly on it.

I also use this for all my grounds:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X326A1K/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Here's how to wire it and the wiper:

The red wire from the motor is connected directly to +12v. Not accessory power. The wiper motor must have a constant +12v for it to be able to "park" when turned off.

The yellow wire from the motor is connected to ground.

The green wire from the motor is connected to pin 87a on the relay.

The black wire from the motor is connected to pin 30 on the relay.

Install a jumper from pin 86 to 87 on the relay. Include a wire long enough to allow pin 87 to connect to ground.

Pin 85 on the relay is connected to the switch you plan on using.

Here's how it all works...

When you turn on your wiper switch it turns on the relay. This causes the contact to close, supplying ground from pin 30 to pin 87 which supplies ground to the motor. Since the motor has a constant +12v coming in on the red wire the motor turns on.

When you turn off your wiper switch the relay is turned off, removing ground from pin 87. Pin 30 is now connected to pin 87a of the relay. This engages the park switch (internal to the wiper) which allows the wiper to return home (park) instead of stopping in the middle of your windshield.

If you are using the Cooper Bussmann PDM I would just use one of the fused outputs to supply power to your switch. The relay it is powering is drawing minimal amperage.

How'd I do? Hopefully this makes sense.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Picked up the relay just now. Any chance I could find a plug that matches the factory Honda wiper wiring harness so I don't have to cut the end off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cut it off long enough to splice it back on if I ever need to.

I put female blade connectors on in place.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Edit and Note:

Remember to change the fuses in the PDM to match the accessory you are attaching to the circuit you are using... i.e. Honda provides a 7.5A fuse for the wiper. Use it in place of the 15A or 30A provided with the PDM.

Since I was running out of the fused circuits, I used one of the relay circuits to power my wiper.

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
This 7.5 fuse is for the red constant power wire? What about the hot wire from switch to pin 85? Does it need a 7.5 amp fuse also if in not using the Cooper Bussman? I plan on connecting hot wires directly to battery until I get a cooper Bussman relay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. You could fuse both of them if you want to. Never hurts.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn glad I did this writeup. Im putting together a schematic of my machine. I have all my notes and scribbles, but couldn't completely remember what I did with the wiper... lol. Gotta love being able to look back on this stuff!

Reactions: Lady01 and mole
Toyfarm1206

Toyfarm1206

Jan 6, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know this is an old post. I wired mine up this way and it worked great for awhile then this summer quit going into park when you turn off switch. Anyone have any ideas?

L

LarryHatfield

Sep 16, 2019
Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks very much. I just bought my wiper and I needed this information to proceed with my installation. This is a great place to get information.

weelad

weelad

Sep 9, 2019
West Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I researched quite a bit on the Honda factory wiper motor install without Honda`s junction block and other harness and this seems to be a real informative thread so I will ask here about the oem switch that comes with the wiper motor kit.
WIPER

Using the schematic from earlier in this thead I need to use the supplied harness connected to the wiper motor and lop off the other end with 2 wires going to the relay and 2 wires going to the battery or supplied power source. I get that. My question is the positive from the honda supplied switch. Is it a 5 pin switch and does it require both positive and negative from the battery and which pin gets which? And lastly which pin is power out to the wiper?
Any help in advance is appreciated!

advertisement