P500 Windshield Cab Vortex

J

Jshell3

From the moment I installed my new 15.5" 1/2 windshield I knew I just supposed to like it. I'm subconsciously converting my P500 into a miniature automobile... And a windshield is the next logical step.
It's certainly ascetically pleasing to look at. It belongs there.

But I've found it does more than just keep the wind out of my face...

After I drove it, my 1st impressions:
  • For a half windshield, it keeps nearly all outside air from entering the cab. It literally shields the wind. I know... weird, right!?!
  • With ram air removed, you can feel new heat vents in the dash. Heat pours out of the reverse handle location and the 4wd selector in dash. Without the windshield I never really noticed. No matter that it's 85 degrees outside, come winter, I'm gonna love that. I've also got the heat and sound barrier installed behind my seat that I'll be removing once the temp drops. "Heat will be welcomed" I read, as another member recently stated.
But here in Mississippi, it's only November... I don't know why it has taken so long this year to leave summer behind?

Part 2

What I didn't see happening... but now is rather obvious. The 1/2 windshield is a DUST factory.
We've not had rain for 2 months. Our fall food plots are disked and planted. My trail cameras are locked and loaded... and it's these elements that interfere with my getting along with the half windshield.
I go to check my trail cams and get covered. Dust lands on everything... in my hair and on my shoulders, gets in my eyes, and even crunches between my teeth.
It COVERS the dash and it COVERS the seat!

I believe a combination of both roof and windshield cause a lack of positive airflow resulting in a significant cabin vacuum situation. I can see the dust swirling in the cab through rays of sunlight. It's evident this swirl is constantly happening for the duration of the drive. Lower cabin pressure invites excessive dust up from the front tires.

So I pray for rain and cooler weather. That way I can go on liking my 1/2 windshield...

But now I know, this is NOT an ALL SEASONS, Mississippi accessory.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

I like the superatv flip windshield and I'm curious if a back panel won't cure most of the dust issues.. you might want to give it a try!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
From the moment I installed my new 15.5" 1/2 windshield I knew I just supposed to like it. I'm subconsciously converting my P500 into a miniature automobile... And a windshield is the next logical step.
It's certainly ascetically pleasing to look at. It belongs there.

But I've found it does more than just keep the wind out of my face...

After I drove it, my 1st impressions:
  • For a half windshield, it keeps nearly all outside air from entering the cab. It literally shields the wind. I know... weird, right!?!
  • With ram air removed, you can feel new heat vents in the dash. Heat pours out of the reverse handle location and the 4wd selector in dash. Without the windshield I never really noticed. No matter that it's 85 degrees outside, come winter, I'm gonna love that. I've also got the heat and sound barrier installed behind my seat that I'll be removing once the temp drops. "Heat will be welcomed" I read, as another member recently stated.
But here in Mississippi, it's only November... I don't know why it has taken so long this year to leave summer behind?

Part 2

What I didn't see happening... but now is rather obvious. The 1/2 windshield is a DUST factory.
We've not had rain for 2 months. Our fall food plots are disked and planted. My trail cameras are locked and loaded... and it's these elements that interfere with my getting along with the half windshield.
I go to check my trail cams and get covered. Dust lands on everything... in my hair and on my shoulders, gets in my eyes, and even crunches between my teeth.
It COVERS the dash and it COVERS the seat!

I believe a combination of both roof and windshield cause a lack of positive airflow resulting in a significant cabin vacuum situation. I can see the dust swirling in the cab through rays of sunlight. It's evident this swirl is constantly happening for the duration of the drive. Lower cabin pressure invites excessive dust up from the front tires.

So I pray for rain and cooler weather. That way I can go on liking my 1/2 windshield...

But now I know, this is NOT an ALL SEASONS, Mississippi accessory.
Half windshield. ..only blocks
half...of rain...wind...cold
blah...blah blah

J

Jshell3

I like the superatv flip windshield and I'm curious if a back panel won't cure most of the dust issues.. you might want to give it a try!
I've got a buddy w/ a full front and back windshield (real glass). His dash gets covered worse than mine. I've seen it.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've got a buddy w/ a full front and back windshield (real glass). His dash gets covered worse than mine. I've seen it.
Can't have everything. Buy a little 4x4 Jeep Liberty and ride with heat and air and no dust, lol. :)

Reactions: Spellmajr and JTW
J

Jshell3

Does he have any gap at the roof?
No gap in roof... but no doors, either. (It's a Po Crew 570) The glass is quick release w/ gasket all the way around. Both front and back. Like I say, no doors or anything, but his takes in dirt way worse than mine... And mine is pretty bad. But it's just because we've not had rain in so long... the grass is dusty.

advertisement
Go-Getter

Go-Getter

Oct 11, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
We live in Florida and put on the quarter windshield. Believe it our not it got hotter in the cab. Then someone told me a trick. I Raised the windshield about 1/2" off the hood and it made a big difference for us.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I bought my rubicon with 34,000 miles for 15k.. this whole sxs for the same money thing is a struggle!
I know right. Hondas got to have a bigger profit margin on their sxs's than their automobiles.

Reactions: Jshell3 and JTW
J

Jshell3

We live in Florida and put on the quarter windshield. Believe it our not it got hotter in the cab. Then someone told me a trick. I Raised the windshield about 1/2" off the hood and it made a big difference for us.
This has crossed my mind! Good to know it makes a difference.

Reactions: Go-Getter
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ordered the back flexible window today with roll up and zippers, will post how well it works, Honda OEM, $114.

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
That is a really good price. Did you find that online?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did this help with the dust?????

J

Jshell3

Did this help with the dust?????
My 1/2 windshield, when raised 1" off the hood, does cool things down in a blower kinda way, but does little for the dust. Other than swirl it before it gets to your eyes. LOL.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
:confused: I had to take my 1/2 windshield off because I couldn't deal with the dust.

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!