P1000 Windshield repair

dommieboy

dommieboy

Jun 19, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I traded around and went from a one piece full windshield that came with my Pioneer to a two piece windshield. My two piece is a little hazy from being used and I was wondering if anyone has buffed out the haze and light scratches and how you went about doing it.
Youtube university professors seem to only use toothpaste and wd40, and the results look like they traded a haze for a greasy finish or a minty one.

Reactions: sharp
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I traded around and went from a one piece full windshield that came with my Pioneer to a two piece windshield. My two piece is a little hazy from being used and I was wondering if anyone has buffed out the haze and light scratches and how you went about doing it.
Youtube university professors seem to only use toothpaste and wd40, and the results look like they traded a haze for a greasy finish or a minty one.
There are a few YouTube videos with guys using a heat gun with what looks to be great results. I have no personal experience with any of this. My hard coat is over a year old and still holding up great. Highly recommended the hard coat if you get the chance.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Seems like someone claimed that the heat gun thing works, but discoloration after some time is an issue.
I'd probably try a headlight buffing compound or something like Novus polish.

FWIW, furniture polish does work, but the results don't last long.

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
A long time ago we used rainex on our old vetter fairing windshields and it kinda blended the scratches together. Don’t know if it works on lexan or not.

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to have a detail shop. Many plastic windshields have a hard coating not sure what yours may have. I would start with a good 3000 grit polishing compound and a orbital polisher with a finishing foam pad. I have polished many windshields to new condition doing this. You can get a 3m headlight kit that comes with a pad and polishes for a electric drill that would return good results but you would probably need to buy more of the finishing compound.

Reactions: Cyberjunk
dommieboy

dommieboy

Jun 19, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a rubbing compound and it got rid of some of the haze but there were scratches that were deeper than I anticipated. So I used 2000 grit followed by 3000 then the rubbing compound again. Still not where I would like it but for the $20 to get it. I can't complain too much. I got it good enough to go out in the snow and snow this last weekend, but I'll start the process over again and it should be as good as new.

IMG 3387

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!