P500 Windshields/Roofs

S

Sledge

...seem to be nearly universal upgrades here.

I'm curious about that. I'm guessing nearly everyone has owned machines which had neither before they got a SxS.

I have, anyway. My reasons for going SxS have nothing to do with those things. Don't much want either, really, especially a windshield.

I just want a steering wheel instead of handlebars, and a spot for a passenger.

I'm dressed for the weather if I'm out in it, so riding doesn't change all that much to me.

Windshields sound like a PITA, mostly. Scratches, wipers, etc.

A roof would be nice in the rain, I suppose, but I love the sun, and would miss it more than I'd appreciate the roof in bad weather, I think.

Ain't trying to cause trouble, or say I'm right, I'm just curious whether y'all came to SxS because you wanted those things, or decided you wanted them after you bought a SxS for other reasons.

Some seem to be building a miniature jeep, and there ain't a damn thing wrong with that.

Joe

Reactions: 500oneer and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I'm curious about that. I'm guessing nearly everyone has owned machines which had neither before they got a SxS.

I have, anyway. My reasons for going SxS have nothing to do with those things. Don't much want either, really, especially a windshield.

I'm dressed for the weather if I'm out in it, so riding doesn't change all that much to me.

A roof would be nice in the rain, I suppose, but I love the sun, and would miss it more than I'd appreciate the roof in bad weather, I think.

Ain't trying to cause trouble, or say I'm right, I'm just curious whether y'all came to SxS because you wanted those things, or decided you wanted them after you bought a SxS for other reasons.

Some seem to be building a miniature jeep, and there ain't a damn thing wrong with that.

Joe
Everybody likes a different level of "the outdoor experience" not too many here should take offense to some one's opinion unless they been tipping on the mason jar a bit much. Most like the coverage as their wife / girlfriends ride with them, they usually don't share the same affinity for mother nature as the guys so if keeping the rain off their head and face makes them happy well I won't complain about staying drier either. Keep us posted and share pics of your new SXS and off road adventures.

S

Sledge

Everybody likes a different level of "the outdoor experience" not too many here should take offense to some one's opinion unless they been tipping on the mason jar a bit much. Most like the coverage as their wife / girlfriends ride with them, they usually don't share the same affinity for mother nature as the guys so if keeping the rain off their head and face makes them happy well I won't complain about staying drier either. Keep us posted and share pics of your new SXS and off road adventures.
Good point. I kinda miss my last wife. I bet she'd have liked a windshield too, come to think. :)

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Joe
The windshield is most definitely not a PITA. I love mine, the benefit of the blocked cold wind is indispensable. I wouldn't take for it. Get one, use it in the cold weather and store it the rest of the time. It will last for years. And wipers? You don't need them. Rain x or silicone spray. How often do you ride in the rain? It's no issue IMO.

Reactions: ehart814
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Up here in AK, I purchased the full cab enclosure. It's my daily driver, and I wanted something to keep me dry and somewhat warm. I love the way that I can go to the store without having to dress like I'm an Iditarod contestant. Ha! The roof and windshield are a good start to a great ride. If you want an ATV, by all means purchase one. The main benefit to a SxS, to me, is an added level of comfort, and the ability to upgrade to an even higher level. I, for one, am getting "soft" in my old age. I've worked for years to afford that higher level of comfort, and plan to revel in it. Ha!

S

Sledge

Up here in AK, I purchased the full cab enclosure. It's my daily driver, and I wanted something to keep me dry and somewhat warm. I love the way that I can go to the store without having to dress like I'm an Iditarod contestant. Ha! The roof and windshield are a good start to a great ride. If you want an ATV, by all means purchase one. The main benefit to a SxS, to me, is an added level of comfort, and the ability to upgrade to an even higher level. I, for one, am getting "soft" in my old age. I've worked for years to afford that higher level of comfort, and plan to revel in it. Ha!

S

Sledge

Ha! Indeed, Sir!

An Alaskan daily driver is remarkable duty for the P500.

Carry on!

Joe

Reactions: JACKAL
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK Joe I'm with you on the windshield. BUT... You live in Texas. I'll bet you will want that windshield before August. That shade in the hot summer sun will keep you from wilting when you stop.

I took my top off and plan to put it back on in June-July.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
The windshield is most definitely not a PITA. I love mine, the benefit of the blocked cold wind is indispensable. I wouldn't take for it. Get one, use it in the cold weather and store it the rest of the time. It will last for years. And wipers? You don't need them. Rain x or silicone spray. How often do you ride in the rain? It's no issue IMO.
I agree with not needing wipers but I do carry a small squeegee that is helpful early in the morning when the windshield is wet and on the trail you can either stop and squeegee off the water or while driving you can reach around and clear the drivers view. Nobody cares abut the passenger side because are the supposed to be looking at the scenery and not the trail.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree with not needing wipers but I do carry a small squeegee that is helpful early in the morning when the windshield is wet and on the trail you can either stop and squeegee off the water or while driving you can reach around and clear the drivers view. Nobody cares abut the passenger side because are the supposed to be looking at the scenery and not the trail.
I know there's several different windshields. The instructions with mine stipulate no squeegees. I use micro fibre cloths to keep mine dry. But, I don't trail ride in the rain, only if the forecast was wrong. Mostly it's for wiping the water off the windshield from dew in the morning before riding, or when riding after a rain when the branches deposit their water on the windshield as I push through them.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I know there's several different windshields. The instructions with mine stipulate no squeegees. I use micro fibre cloths to keep mine dry. But, I don't trail ride in the rain, only if the forecast was wrong. Mostly it's for wiping the water off the windshield from dew in the morning before riding, or when riding after a rain when the branches deposit their water on the windshield as I push through them.
Your correct MC, I should have stated depending on your windshield. Mine is the Poly hardcoat and it does not harm it but I don't do if there is a lot of dirt on it.

Reactions: Montecresto
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Don't forget about bugs and spiders and spiderwebs,on a quad I was always wiping webs off my face or picking gnats out of my eyes. With the tilt out windshield plenty of air,I love mine. I ride in the rain all the time.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I assume you have posted about it before, but which windshield do you have? I have the standard Honda non-hard coated one and I am afraid to touch it at all because of fear of scratching it. If it has mud I hose it then wash with soap, then when it's dry I use a clean microfiber and plexus. Seems to scratch so easy so I'm really careful.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
To be honest, I wanted a glass windshield. Unfortunately, there was nothing available last June when I purchased my rig. I went with the OEM Hardcoat/tip-out windshield. It has held up much better than I thought it would. I've logged over 2500 miles of dirt/gravel roads, coastal swamps, and mountain trails. The windshield has been "slapped" numerous times by branches and underbrush, as well as dust, mud, and saltwater spray. I hose it almost daily, and wash it weekly with JOY dish soap. I also have a small squeegee that I periodically use as a "wiper". For the most part, it's still scratch free. If memory serves, the Hardcoat option was about $100 more than the standard poly windshield, and I guess it was well worth it. While I would still prefer automotive glass and actual wipers, I really can't complain about what I have. It's served me as well, or better, than I was led to believe. That makes it a good buy in my book.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I assume you have posted about it before, but which windshield do you have? I have the standard Honda non-hard coated one and I am afraid to touch it at all because of fear of scratching it. If it has mud I hose it then wash with soap, then when it's dry I use a clean microfiber and plexus. Seems to scratch so easy so I'm really careful.
That's the same thing I do. Microfiber cloth. I think you're doing the right thing ehart. I bought a rather inexpensive full windshield off Amazon, it came from SuperATV.

Last edited:
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
To be honest, I wanted a glass windshield. Unfortunately, there was nothing available last June when I purchased my rig. I went with the OEM Hardcoat/tip-out windshield. It has held up much better than I thought it would. I've logged over 2500 miles of dirt/gravel roads, coastal swamps, and mountain trails. The windshield has been "slapped" numerous times by branches and underbrush, as well as dust, mud, and saltwater spray. I hose it almost daily, and wash it weekly with JOY dish soap. I also have a small squeegee that I periodically use as a "wiper". For the most part, it's still scratch free. If memory serves, the Hardcoat option was about $100 more than the standard poly windshield, and I guess it was well worth it. While I would still prefer automotive glass and actual wipers, I really can't complain about what I have. It's served me as well, or better, than I was led to believe. That makes it a good buy in my book.
I think it all depends on where you ride. Here in central PA I have the same windshield as you and I am very disappointed (after having an EMP hardcoat on a RZR)...plenty of scratches for a $500 windshield...not to mention the damn rubber falling of all the time...all at only 15 months old. There will be an EMP on it shortly.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Sorry to hear that you aren't as happy with yours. I had some trouble with the gaskets coming off when riding through brush. I bought some aftermarket weatherstripping from a company someone mentioned on this site. It wasn't expensive, until they added shipping to AK. Ha! (It was more than the actual product.) The aftermarket stuff seems to hold up better, and "I" haven't lost any more. However, anyone who "borrows" my rig, including my wife, loses one on a regular basis. I've thought about superglue, but wasn't sure how it would affect my hard coat.

Reactions: SBuckJ
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Sorry to hear that you aren't as happy with yours. I had some trouble with the gaskets coming off when riding through brush. I bought some aftermarket weatherstripping from a company someone mentioned on this site. It wasn't expensive, until they added shipping to AK. Ha! (It was more than the actual product.) The aftermarket stuff seems to hold up better, and "I" haven't lost any more. However, anyone who "borrows" my rig, including my wife, loses one on a regular basis. I've thought about superglue, but wasn't sure how it would affect my hard coat.
I actually used Gorilla glue to hold mine on...I figured the gasket SHOULD last as long as the window...It has worked so far :)

Reactions: p500fan

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!