L

Lookouttrout

Feb 12, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
Hello,
Hope I’m not repeating a prior question relating to windshields but.,,,,
We need a windshield to help protect my wife from much dust (and cold wind) on a forest service road we’re we have a cabin.
with that at hand seriously looking at a OEM Honda brand hard full pop out at $529 minus 10% discount with install. Vents on bottom when needed.
I do like how the Super ATV top half pops open however read a few reviews saying it interferes with hood opening

can someone offer me insight as far as quality of the OEM vs The SuperATV?
Appreciate everyone’s help.
The Ole Montana Guy

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome from Ga @Lookouttrout . A full windshield with a rear panel helps some. I run the Honda full in winter and a 1/2 in summer. Thinking some have modified the SuperATV fold down to ease hood removal. Try a search for more threads like this. Whtever you get, ensure it is a hard coat.

Last edited:
L

Lookouttrout

Feb 12, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Ga @Lookouttrout . A full windshield with a rear panel helps some. I run the Honda full in winter and a 1/2 in summer. Thinking some have modified the SuperATV fold down to ease hood removal. Try a search for more threads like this. Whtever you get, ensure it is a hard coat.
Thanks Mudder. It is the Honda hard coat. I’m sort of obsessive compulsive as my wife says and don’t want to look through a scratchy windshield on a hot Montana day as we are on our way fly fishing but at the same time trying to prevent all the road dust from other vehicles.
I like your idea about switching out though. Are you pretty much satisfied with the Honda OEM HARD full pop up windshield?
Thank you again Georgia

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks Mudder. It is the Honda hard coat. I’m sort of obsessive compulsive as my wife says and don’t want to look through a scratchy windshield on a hot Montana day as we are on our way fly fishing but at the same time trying to prevent all the road dust from other vehicles.
I like your idea about switching out though. Are you pretty much satisfied with the Honda OEM HARD full pop up windshield?
Thank you again Georgia
3 1/2 years with the OEM full hardcoat. Mainly woods riding with lots of branches slapping it and pleased with it. Just never wipe dust when dry. Carry a water spray bottle and squeeze is one suggestion. Here is my fold down half as an example. Need some breeze in the southern heat sometimes. Several options out there. @trigger also has some experience with both. You can also see my $10 car type antennas for spiderweb catchers in the woods. Disregard the upright pipe.

Always hoped to see Montana sometime, trail pictures welcomed.

0677190A B4AB 47B7 AB96 E25726B2143A 68B792EC 69A8 4FBF A5B9 90FF924C76D3

L

Lookouttrout

Feb 12, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
3 1/2 years with the OEM full hardcoat. Mainly woods riding with lots of branches slapping it and pleased with it. Just never wipe dust when dry. Carry a water spray bottle and squeeze is one suggestion. Here is my fold down half as an example. Need some breeze in the southern heat sometimes. Several options out there. @trigger also has some experience with both. You can also see my $10 car type antennas for spiderweb catchers in the woods. Disregard the upright pipe.

Always hoped to see Montana sometime, trail pictures welcomed.

View attachment 255047 View attachment 255048
Spider web catchers? Huh? I carry bear spray for moose, grizzle and cougars here. Thanks for input on windshield. I’ll get the OEM hard and wife can wear a mask too. Heck might have to get those material doors too next year for her too. Thank you!!!

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have owned both, non-glass and OEM glass, and like Mudder was able to preserve the non-glass with some care, but I will say once you go real glass it is like a vehicle and very nice. If those trails are dusty, go ahead and get some kind of rear cover as well, because the vortex created by the front glass brings things forward, especially anything in the bed, dust, etc... .

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I have owned both, non-glass and OEM glass, and like Mudder was able to preserve the non-glass with some care, but I will say once you go real glass it is like a vehicle and very nice. If those trails are dusty, go ahead and get some kind of rear cover as well, because the vortex created by the front glass brings things forward, especially anything in the bed, dust, etc... .
What would you recommend for real glass? I've been trying to decide between a SuperATV windshield and the glass version that EMP offers.

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Also look at the trigger shield I hear it helps with dust and engine noise and it helps with the engine heat in the summer time here’s the link

Reactions: trigger and Mudder
HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I have a full oem windshield that adjust opens at the bottom that works well. Allows air through for cooling and without vortex so I don't need rear shield. Works well for rain here in fl.

Alanthill

Alanthill

Aug 17, 2018
Eastern NC
Ownership

1. 500
1/2 inch lexan drilled and tapped with 1/4 × 3/4 ss hex head bolts with 3/4 ss angle across the bottom for support.
Cannot fold but could remove if needed.
We leave it on all year for protection from the elements.
Just a suggestion.
Much cheaper than anything I found out therr.
20210206 150807

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Do you have a Roof -- if yes & you add a windshield you Will Need a back panel.
Your own dust & exhaust fumes will be the next problem. ALL SXS have this problem. ( Back Draft )
I have the OEM Hard Coat Tipout with ( Boat ) Electric wiper & washer.
Have used this combination on my last 3 Honda's unless something better comes out would use it again.

Now Door subject.
Be sure to Checkout the OEM NEW STYLE P520 DOORS cost more $$$.$$.
BETTER -- Looks -- Fit & Seal -- Reuse OEM Latch on lower door -- ( easy install ) have to remove lower plastic door & hinge.
Installing the P520 doors -- driver side is done -- pass side to be done today.

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
What would you recommend for real glass? I've been trying to decide between a SuperATV windshield and the glass version that EMP offers.
TUSK soft back glass is excellent and CHEAP ! I;ve had mine for 4 years .

Reactions: Mudder and J80
L

Lookouttrout

Feb 12, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
Do you have a Roof -- if yes & you add a windshield you Will Need a back panel.
Your own dust & exhaust fumes will be the next problem. ALL SXS have this problem. ( Back Draft )
I have the OEM Hard Coat Tipout with ( Boat ) Electric wiper & washer.
Have used this combination on my last 3 Honda's unless something better comes out would use it again.

Now Door subject.
Be sure to Checkout the OEM NEW STYLE P520 DOORS cost more $$$.$$.
BETTER -- Looks -- Fit & Seal -- Reuse OEM Latch on lower door -- ( easy install ) have to remove lower plastic door & hinge.
Installing the P520 doors -- driver side is done -- pass side to be done today.
I am getting the Honda soft rear panel / window along with the hardtop and HARD windshield. My thoughts were when we get the soft doors it will all fit correctly. Opinion?
Oh, with above can you recommend side view mirrors beside OEM that would work? What is the diameter on roll cage bars?
Thank you!!!!!

Reactions: J80 and pappyo
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I am getting the Honda soft rear panel / window along with the hardtop and HARD windshield. My thoughts were when we get the soft doors it will all fit correctly. Opinion?
Oh, with above can you recommend side view mirrors beside OEM that would work? What is the diameter on roll cage bars?
Thank you!!!!!
5CBBD697 6F99 47A2 A9AB E337E068EB1E

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
One old man to another 75 +here.
Have to warn you up front I DONOT do things the same as other's ( not sure if that good or bad just works for me )
Roll cage is 1&5/8in. Diameter see attached Honda OEM quick attach clamps pictures around $ 14.00 at Bike Bandit as close as I can remember. ( excellent memory but it does leak )
The OEM combination will work just fine.
Using same Roof & Windshield & ( Hard Kolpin Rear Panel required more effort to seal & hold heat. )

Kolpin Mirrors --- with Modified Mounting to the Windshield Tilt Bracket ( Mirrors Tilt With the Windshield ) see attached pictures.
With P520 doors -- Mirrors NOT Easily attached to Roll Cage ( included picture aluminum used to make mirror mount ) could be duplicated with 2 pieces alum. angle.
This moved the Mirrors up & in. Now have a partial view through windshield. ( poor vision trough Wavy Door Plastic Windows )
I installed a Recording Camera with Ft. & Rear Vewing.

20210215 104605 20210215 102708 20210215 102552 20210215 102806 20210215 102833

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The "new" style doors look like they fit really well. Are they made in USA also? It would be nice to only have one door to open also.

I have the "old" style doors which are better than none but the two door routine gets old. I also have the Honda windshield (hard coat,tilts out at bottom), roof and back panel(with the zippered window) all working good.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Hello,
Hope I’m not repeating a prior question relating to windshields but.,,,,
We need a windshield to help protect my wife from much dust (and cold wind) on a forest service road we’re we have a cabin.
with that at hand seriously looking at a OEM Honda brand hard full pop out at $529 minus 10% discount with install. Vents on bottom when needed.
I do like how the Super ATV top half pops open however read a few reviews saying it interferes with hood opening

can someone offer me insight as far as quality of the OEM vs The SuperATV?
Appreciate everyone’s help.
The Ole Montana Guy
Welcome from Alabama.
@AustinL911 I went with the sXs windshield here is a link to an article that prompted me to use them. Early photos of their windshield on my machine are on Page 3 Post #45:

P500 - Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield

I think Extreme Metal Products may now also offer a glass windshield, and since you are both located in Ohio, shipping might be less.
As far as sXs,- great people to work with and extremely high quality, and I would highly recommend them. I couldn't be happier especially since the previous linked post I added wipers and a windshield washer system see left photo (two rectangular blocks at bottom of windshield are the jet nozzle holders).
In the left photo, the lower vent is open which allows for air flow, plus in this position you can also remove the hood.
The right photo is an under hood look (before I tidied up the wiring and a list of some things you can fit under the little P5 hood:

1 – Back of Choog Box (glovebox)
2 – Winch Solenoid
3 – Relay for Light bar
4 – Fuse Boxes
5 – NOAM Stereo Amp
6 – Electric Power Steering
7 – Windshield Washer Reservoir and Pump (do not use unless you have a glass windshield)
Windshield Wiper OutUnderhood

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!