Won't downshift

E

Eric-23_86

Jul 6, 2019
Mi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys I have a 2016 1000-5 was just out riding and it will shift up but will not down s*** even with the paddles than it stalls out from low rpm ..turn key off starts back up shift into high than shows what gear it stuck in than you can paddle shift back to 1 than it will go untill u slow down again and it won't down shift????? Need help

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
K

kyn4ser

Dec 2, 2023
Paint lick, Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same problem here. Not all the time but won’t downshift then stalls out. Start it try to put it in gear clunks and kills it. I found I can put it in hi with the switch off and rock the machine back and forth and it allows it to drop back down to 1st. Anybody got any info on a fix or place to look ?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
start by troubleshooting battery, grounds and all power connections are tight and clean - check voltage - looking for a low voltage condition - if all good - and then start troubleshooting shift motor and associated wiring to shift motor is my suggestion

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Same problem here. Not all the time but won’t downshift then stalls out. Start it try to put it in gear clunks and kills it. I found I can put it in hi with the switch off and rock the machine back and forth and it allows it to drop back down to 1st. Anybody got any info on a fix or place to look ?
What year model miles?

K

kyn4ser

Dec 2, 2023
Paint lick, Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
start by troubleshooting battery, grounds and all power connections are tight and clean - check voltage - looking for a low voltage condition - if all good - and then start troubleshooting shift motor and associated wiring to shift motor is my suggestion
Thank you. Will do. I recently added the dual battery setup and it doesn’t seem to have much starting power. Can you tell me where the shift regulator is located? Thanks.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you. Will do. I recently added the dual battery setup and it doesn’t seem to have much starting power. Can you tell me where the shift regulator is located? Thanks.
Again, IMPORTANT! year Model miles???

How did you hook up that second battery?
If done correctly and you have a GOOD primary battery, it shouldn't make any difference in loosing starting power. The primary does that work!
How old is your primary?

K

kyn4ser

Dec 2, 2023
Paint lick, Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a 1l5 2017 model 2700 miles. I used a kit with the relay and switch I was done well. I also purchased a premium battery. Just seem weak though on startup.

Reactions: Remington
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It is a 1l5 2017 model 2700 miles. I used a kit with the relay and switch I was done well. I also purchased a premium battery. Just seem weak though on startup.
What we are trying to say is main battery may be suspect - pull and have load tested if it “seems” weak

2nd battery doesn’t help/do anything for the main

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Couple things here to address.
A- Make sure to hit “reply” or tag the individual @kyn4ser your replying to so they get a notice like you did. I just so happen to see @DRZRon1 replied so I dropped in and seen you replied to me. Otherwise might never known.

B-thanks for the rig info. Since your having shift issues begs the question, 1st or 2nd owner? And was the clutch update ever done that plagued 16’s & 17’s?

C- like mentioned a few times, tge main battery is your primary for starting. Your second should have nothing to do with starting. How old is the primary battery? Have you “load” tested it with a “load tester” not just a meeter.

Be patient, we are getting there, we cant lay eyes and hands on it in a forum so all this info we are asking is very important to get u i the right direction.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If the slow cranking started when you wired in the aux battery, I'd disconnect it and test again. Did you add a dual voltmeter when you added the aux? It's a great troubleshooting tool, especially because the Hondas are so voltage sensitive.

advertisement
K

kyn4ser

Dec 2, 2023
Paint lick, Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple things here to address.
A- Make sure to hit “reply” or tag the individual @kyn4ser your replying to so they get a notice like you did. I just so happen to see @DRZRon1 replied so I dropped in and seen you replied to me. Otherwise might never known.

B-thanks for the rig info. Since your having shift issues begs the question, 1st or 2nd owner? And was the clutch update ever done that plagued 16’s & 17’s?

C- like mentioned a few times, tge main battery is your primary for starting. Your second should have nothing to do with starting. How old is the primary battery? Have you “load” tested it with a “load tester” not just a meeter.

Be patient, we are getting there, we cant lay eyes and hands on it in a forum so all this info we are asking is very important to get u i the right direction.
I’m the original owner. The main battery is also the original. I did have the update done as well. Idk how to tag someone lol

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Idk how to tag someone lol
Do it like this type the @ sign then the name so like this @kyn4ser then when u hit “post reply” the nane turns blue then u have taged them.😉
I’m the original owner. The main battery is also the original. I did have the update done as well.
Cool! If that battery is original, its 7 years old!
Your a bit past its life expectancy and prob will fail a bench load test and why the motor turns over slow.
I would change that battery ASAP and make sure to clean the cable contacts and all the grounds real well on the rig then try it and see where that leads you and report back .

👍🏻 on getting that update done. Deff was a must and helps with a major repair from not having it done

Reactions: CID
K

kyn4ser

Dec 2, 2023
Paint lick, Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do it like this type the @ sign then the name so like this @kyn4ser then when u hit “post reply” the nane turns blue then u have taged them.😉

Cool! If that battery is original, its 7 years old!
Your a bit past its life expectancy and prob will fail a bench load test and why the motor turns over slow.
I would change that battery ASAP and make sure to clean the cable contacts and all the grounds real well on the rig then try it and see where that leads you and report back .

👍🏻 on getting that update done. Deff was a must and helps with a major repair from not having it done
@Remington thank you. I will do that asap and may dive my shift issues.

• Love
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note that if I want to say - "See @Reminton's post ...", it won't tag him because the software thinks I misspelled Remington.

The work around is - "See @Remington 's post ..." adding a space before the apostrophe.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You’re welcome, buddy. Anything we can do to help you out give it a try.