P500 wont start or shift :-(

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
So I took my p500 out yesterday went through a bit of water and pulled it out and it sat there for quite a while. I turned it off to save fuel and then it wouldn't start....on top of that it wont shift through the gears. I took the spark plug out and it didn't seem to have any spark. I checked all my fuses and they were fine. I rocked it while trying to change gears and it isn't even attempting to switch. The funny thing was it was running perfect then I turned it off and it wouldn't start again, it just turns over and doesn't want to start. Im at a loss any ideas?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A "bit" of water??? How deep was it?

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
was about 3 feet deep, its snorkeled and there was no water in the airbox and its not hydrolocked

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
was about 3 feet deep, its snorkeled and there was no water in the airbox and its not hydrolocked
I see, that was going to be my next question. Good luck with this.

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
I do, I did however notice some water in the line I don't know if it's just condensation or something else maybe I'll drain the gas and make sure that's it's not a fuel issue

kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
That is kind of what it sounds like is a gas issue,but as far as the shifting i do not know. I have been told a low battery cause big problems on this electric shift. good luck hope this helps

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
So I took my p500 out yesterday went through a bit of water and pulled it out(?) and it sat there for quite a while. I turned it off(so it was running after you extracted it from the water?) to save fuel and then it wouldn't start....on top of that it wont shift through the gears. I took the spark plug out and it didn't seem to have any spark. I checked all my fuses and they were fine. I rocked it while trying to change gears and it isn't even attempting to switch. The funny thing was it was running perfect then I turned it off and it wouldn't start again, it just turns over and doesn't want to start. Im at a loss any ideas?

I would look to the charging/electrical system first. I've run mine in a LOT of water for hours and it's never been an issue. Slow to start w/no shifting was a weak battery on mine. Try hooking up to a battery charger, let it charge for a while, turn on the ignition and try to shift to neutral, then start. If this works, verify that your charging system and battery are good.

Last edited:
Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
So I changed the fuel and did an oil change (in the middle of the woods which is always fun), and I figured out what the issue was...turns out the transmission was stuck between gears and the Honda went into limp mode to protect itself, hence the paddle shifters not working and it not starting. I took the tool it came with and used the manual shift at the front of the motor and it popped into a gear then I could use my paddle shifters again! Put it in neural and it fired right up. So after 3 evenings of cursing and swearing at it all it was was a single turn of a wrench and I was off to the races. So frustrating but least it's nothing big

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
So I changed the fuel and did an oil change (in the middle of the woods which is always fun), and I figured out what the issue was...turns out the transmission was stuck between gears and the Honda went into limp mode to protect itself, hence the paddle shifters not working and it not starting. I took the tool it came with and used the manual shift at the front of the motor and it popped into a gear then I could use my paddle shifters again! Put it in neural and it fired right up. So after 3 evenings of cursing and swearing at it all it was was a single turn of a wrench and I was off to the races. So frustrating but least it's nothing big

So to understand the issue, it stalled or it was running the whole time and just jammed between gears. You originally said you were idling and shut it off to save fuel. You were idling in gear? Did you notice what the display said if you were in gear/in between gears?

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's really cool, great learning experience. Thanks for sharing that! So there's a tool in our little black bag that's just for this? And where would the "manual shift at the front of the motor" be accessed from?

Reactions: JTW
C

Chooglin

It sounds to me like all you needed to do , was rock it back and forth (stuck between gears) and it would have popped in gear .

Reactions: DaBomb6988 and JTW
Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
No couldn't rock it the atv disabled that as part of its protection I rocked in a lot and it was because it was between gears, displayed a line where the gear number should be. The adjustment in on the front of the motor down from the clutch adjustment near the bottom of the motor itself.

Reactions: JTW and Montecresto
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Happened to me, but I forgot the parking brake was on and I could not rock it. It was a bit embarrassing once I remembered the brake was set..

R

Rustell

Glad you got it figured out.... that's the wrench under the drivers seat right.?

J

JTW

So can you not start these things if you shut them off in gear?

Anthony_J

Anthony_J

Jul 6, 2015
Yup that's the wrench! Always wondered what that was for lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!