Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Agreed about the 700-4. That was the machine I read up on before I bought my P1K. I fell in love with the idea of a torque converter. I assumed that the 1000 was simply a bigger version of the 700 so I hadn't read up on it before I bought it. "DOH!!!"
OW quit, you have the best S x S Honda makes, come ride with me, I put mine through some s**** every time I go out and it comes back needing a bath. My friends got a 700 and it's a great machine, but if they want a thrill, guess who they ride with, ME! And My P1! Rooster, my wife named it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I joined this site pissed, just burt out my clutch at 164 miles. After reading, I learned a lot about my machine, that the sales people were/are clueless about. Now I understand how it works, ride the piss out of it and no more issues!
My shock shafts come home without any mud/dirt on them!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really want this machine to be successful. With success comes add-ons, lower prices on aftermarket items, and longevity of the production of the unit. If it doesn't succeed then we have Edsels. Sorry I tried to start a topic that I ultimately hoped might reach Honda and make them fix the issues. I have actually been a member of this forum longer than those who feel I am beating a dead horse. I don't live here but am an occasional visitor.
I didn't want to turn off sales but realized I did after friends bought something else. However I am not going to lie to friends about my experience and I actually told both of them to check out this forum before spending thousands.
@Buckrocker
I will man up and apologize if you feel I contributed to the beating of a dead horse. I was making suggestions based off my own experiences with warranty. I do have my bill showing warranty coverage, I just need to edit out my name and the dealers name before posting it.

Reactions: moparornocar
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regarding alignment...I mentioned my alignment issue on the P1K to an old buddy of mine who owns about 5 different Honda 4-wheelers of various years, and nearly has Honda tatoo'd on his ass.

We went out to his shop and looked at the alignment on his bikes...EVERY one was toe'd out...enough it was visible. It was also one side, where one side was mostly straight and the other was jacked out...So WTF? has Honda been doing this trick for a while??

On his BRAND NEW Rubicon, he complained about it being squirrely, I helped him set about 1/4" toe in and it rides perfect.

Just an observation and report...

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regarding alignment...I mentioned my alignment issue on the P1K to an old buddy of mine who owns about 5 different Honda 4-wheelers of various years, and nearly has Honda tatoo'd on his ass.

We went out to his shop and looked at the alignment on his bikes...EVERY one was toe'd out...enough it was visible. It was also one side, where one side was mostly straight and the other was jacked out...So WTF? has Honda been doing this trick for a while??

On his BRAND NEW Rubicon, he complained about it being squirrely, I helped him set about 1/4" toe in and it rides perfect.

Just an observation and report...
So I read on the internet (so you know it must be true LOL) that a some of off roaders toe out the vehicles to help with control on specific terrain (can remember what) like loose dirt when descending...
Now for my experience since I tried to correct alignment of mine - it drives better on straightaways and seems to handle better at higher speeds but I do notice a diminished feel when going down a steep grade - granted I also believe this might be "felt" since I read about it and I am hypersensitive to looking to see any difference.

So while there may be reasons to toe in or toe out your alignment ----The real question is why does the Honda come with a toe out alignment when the Service manual say to align toe in?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm proud to be referred to as a fanboy. My machine has earned that name for me. Did come with problems no doubt. But totally happy with it. I've made at least a half dozen sales off people who have ridden with me. Word of mouth is still the best advertisement out there whether good or bad. Should reach the 2700 mile mark by this weekend for an all day ride in mountains.

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I read on the internet (so you know it must be true LOL) that a some of off roaders toe out the vehicles to help with control on specific terrain (can remember what) like loose dirt when descending...
Now for my experience since I tried to correct alignment of mine - it drives better on straightaways and seems to handle better at higher speeds but I do notice a diminished feel when going down a steep grade - granted I also believe this might be "felt" since I read about it and I am hypersensitive to looking to see any difference.

So while there may be reasons to toe in or toe out your alignment ----The real question is why does the Honda come with a toe out alignment when the Service manual say to align toe in?
So roundhead rookies don't kill themselves first ride off the trailer at speed. Toe out pushes. Toe in inspires so much confidence you might roll it over.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So roundhead rookies don't kill themselves first ride off the trailer at speed. Toe out pushes. Toe in inspires so much confidence you might roll it over.
Yes

R

Rooster31

Aug 2, 2017
Chesterland, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been asked several times how I like my Honda? Some people just ask to be nosy and others ask to make a decision as to whether they will purchase the Pioneer 1000. I never sugar coated the facts but try to give an honest opinion. A couple of my good friends asked and after I gave a honest review they both bought different machines. One bought a Polaris General 1000 and the other bought a Chinese clone Hi Sun 700.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Honda 1000-5 but they really dropped the ball on several items. The first is the heat around the passenger seat. There is no way Honda can be excused for the problem. My little niece refuses to ride after she felt like she was burnt in the middle on the metal safety belt section. If this machine was marketed to carry 5 they should have tested it with that number in it.
Another is the alignment issues on the front. I have rode with the Hi Sun several times and his tires are wearing perfectly. My tires were almost ruined on the front before I even noticed.
So far I have not had long term problems with the clutches but have noticed a slip a couple of times after backing up a blocked road. No doubt in my mind backing up somehow causes problems. I really believe I would not have turned off my friends if I called Honda and they said we will fix it. Sorry to say this has not been the case. Overall I think the design of the 1000-5 hit the mark but Honda should of payed attention to these and other issues I have not even mentioned.
Do you think Honda has lost sales due to you discussing the 1000 shortcomings?
We have a 1000-5. At about 60 miles in I noticed significant tire wear. I found the post on alignments and made the adjustments. It seemed to level off. This week I took it to the dealer for the 100 mile tune up and to check the alignment. They told me that the 16's are having this tire wear problem. He was going to do a work up on it and see if he could get new tires. I wasn't holding my breath because I made the adjustment. They called today and said they were covering the tires and alignment! I really like this dealership. They all ride and go to bat for you. That is how you get people coming back or their friends coming in. Thank you Western Reserve Honda!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We have a 1000-5. At about 60 miles in I noticed significant tire wear. I found the post on alignments and made the adjustments. It seemed to level off. This week I took it to the dealer for the 100 mile tune up and to check the alignment. They told me that the 16's are having this tire wear problem. He was going to do a work up on it and see if he could get new tires. I wasn't holding my breath because I made the adjustment. They called today and said they were covering the tires and alignment! I really like this dealership. They all ride and go to bat for you. That is how you get people coming back or their friends coming in. Thank you Western Reserve Honda!
Have them apply the worth of the stock tires to 8 ply's I busted two stock front tires, one with stock shocks and one with Elka's with 14 PSI, stock tires are not worth much.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Rooster31
Is your 1000 without a roof? That is my dealer as well. I saw yours driving home from work the other day. They did an alignment and 2 tires on mine as well.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Rooster31
Is your 1000 without a roof? That is my dealer as well. I saw yours driving home from work the other day. They did an alignment and 2 tires on mine as well.
I didn't wait on the dealership, I did it my self.you must have a good dealer.

Reactions: 0860silverado
R

Rooster31

Aug 2, 2017
Chesterland, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Rooster31
If it was no roof and green, that's me.

Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My P1000-5 has been awesome. We ride it hard with a full load of larger people up to the mountaintops. Everyone that rides with me wants one, but when I tell them the price they choke a bit. I had a RZR 570 and then a Teryx4 and there is simply no comparison. I have a friend with a decked out RZR4 and it rides out nice with lots of power, but he has over 30,000.00 into it and the thing is just too long. The only thing I had to fix on mine was the bed rattle (a little bit of electrical tape on the latches), the seat heat (simple bilge pump arrangement), and then snorkeled it just in case. A guy at the gas station (Ranger owner) was just drooling over mine this morning.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My P1000-5 has been awesome. We ride it hard with a full load of larger people up to the mountaintops. Everyone that rides with me wants one, but when I tell them the price they choke a bit. I had a RZR 570 and then a Teryx4 and there is simply no comparison. I have a friend with a decked out RZR4 and it rides out nice with lots of power, but he has over 30,000.00 into it and the thing is just too long. The only thing I had to fix on mine was the bed rattle (a little bit of electrical tape on the latches), the seat heat (simple bilge pump arrangement), and then snorkeled it just in case. A guy at the gas station (Ranger owner) was just drooling over mine this morning.
Yea they are nice, just wish they had a sportier model 5 with bed big enough to use.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just looked online at a RZR-4 1000 and they advertise 110hp...that's impressive considering we are barely in the 70hp with our 1000cc's.

Pushing $21k to start...ouch.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just looked online at a RZR-4 1000 and they advertise 110hp...that's impressive considering we are barely in the 70hp with out 1000cc's.

Pushing $21k to start...ouch.

Oh ya. My friends RZR4 1000 is fast and very smooth with the great suspension. It just feels like driving a bus lol. His has aftermarket shocks and all sorts of other stuff so it's amazing, but he has a fortune into it

Reactions: nbomar and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!