Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F2398097 4974 4BFF 896E 7AB8EDA448E5

P

PNWGuy

Yep, If I had a 9 to 5 you bet I'd be trying to save money on gas. I always had a hooptie when I worked for someone else. Drove my truck if it snowed.
I did the math, and with my current 17mpg average, if I commuted to work 7 days a week at 15 miles each way, it would take me over 5 years to recoup the purchase cost. Since I only work 3 days a week one week, and 4 the next, it would be much longer.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
only if i were in a wheelchair. seems like it be an easy in and out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
You guys are too much.
In '05 I purchased a first generation Honda Insight.
I decided at that time to park my pickup in front of the barn and drive a compact car as my daily.
The truck came home from the dealer new and paid for, I figured that was not going to happen again any time soon.

A bunch of people told me I would never recoup the extra cost of a hybrid before it was worn out.
I calculated that at $1.70 a gallon the diffrence between the Insight and a stripped down Civic it would take me 90k miles, or about half the life expectancy of the Insight.
About 2 years later gas spiked to $5 a gallon for a bit, that made driving the Insight so much sweeter.

I drive 100 miles a day, 5 days a week just to and from work.
It doesn't bother me to drive a hybrid (or a soccer mom SUV if somone else is footing the gas bill).
The car is not my identity, I will find some way to make it fun.
The Insight could get 70 mpg in the summer, a lot less in winter.
I put 170k miles on the Insight, my son totaled it (hit a bridge) at just under 200k miles.

The Eilo is not that interesting as a vehicle.
It uses some basic structures to achieve its mpg, one less wheel, small cabin and low drag.
And a small engine.
I like the 3 wheel thing, always have.
But I think if I where getting a 3 wheeler (in the price range I could afford) it would be the Polaris Slingshot.
Just, it wouldn't make a good vehicle to drive to work.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You guys are too much.
In '05 I purchased a first generation Honda Insight.
I decided at that time to park my pickup in front of the barn and drive a compact car as my daily.
The truck came home from the dealer new and paid for, I figured that was not going to happen again any time soon.

A bunch of people told me I would never recoup the extra cost of a hybrid before it was worn out.
I calculated that at $1.70 a gallon the diffrence between the Insight and a stripped down Civic it would take me 90k miles, or about half the life expectancy of the Insight.
About 2 years later gas spiked to $5 a gallon for a bit, that made driving the Insight so much sweeter.

I drive 100 miles a day, 5 days a week just to and from work.
It doesn't bother me to drive a hybrid (or a soccer mom SUV if somone else is footing the gas bill).
The car is not my identity, I will find some way to make it fun.
The Insight could get 70 mpg in the summer, a lot less in winter.
I put 170k miles on the Insight, my son totaled it (hit a bridge) at just under 200k miles.

The Eilo is not that interesting as a vehicle.
It uses some basic structures to achieve its mpg, one less wheel, small cabin and low drag.
And a small engine.
I like the 3 wheel thing, always have.
But I think if I where getting a 3 wheeler (in the price range I could afford) it would be the Polaris Slingshot.
Just, it wouldn't make a good vehicle to drive to work.
Right before we had my daughter, I took a new job that meant a 110 mile round trip commute every day. I bought a 2001 Honda Civic EX standard with 200k miles on it for $2k to keep the miles off my truck. It grenaded the head gasket at around 210k, which I replaced and then drove it for another 20k before selling it. I was hellbent on getting some crazy high mpg car for the commute but could not get over the absolute s*** acceleration on any of the "cheap" hybrids. I thought I was going to die trying to get on the interstate in the Prius I drove. I ended up with a little '09 Si that gets almost 30 mpg whether I drive it like an asshole or hyper mile it and it's paid for. I put a $600 tuner in it and a cold air intake and it's a blast to drive. I test drove a Slingshot (I think it was a 2016 model) and it was pretty damn fun; it feels like you are going so much faster than you are. It was just way to impractical to consider, but it was fun.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just buy an older VW jetta tdi. Ours had well over 200k and was still rockin 34mpgs when we traded it in.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!