BOX1

Talon WOW! What a relief.

B

BeezrGeezr

Aug 18, 2019
Friday Harbor, WA./Wellington, NV.
Ownership

1. Talon X
I took delivery of a new Talon X about a month ago and because of circumstances, was not able to even test run it until today. Yesterday I installed the snorkel for cleaner air intake so today took it out in the dirt, rocks, and dust.
During this last month I have been keeping up on all the threads on this forum that pertained to my new ride so I was fully expecting a horrible driving experience. So I cautiously headed out to the sticks expecting an impossibly twitchy throttle, a bone jarring ride, a noisey FWD, jerky shifting transmission with a deafening gear whine.
Well, I didn't notice any of that at all. The noisiest part of the ride was the tires...in all modes. It just ran like a champ and is a total blast to ride on the rocky four wheel drive trails and some no trails, of the northern Nevada high desert.
I value this forum's wealth of information but, as with most forums, we only read about the problems and after a while it seems all are flawed. I have to remind myself that what I am reading represents only a small percentage of all the machines out there.
Luckily, it seems, I got a good one. I feel so relieved and can't wait to go again.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The thing about the internet is people are quick to complain and slow to give praises. Thanks for adding a well done review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
To me , my Talon is the best in every aspect . Quiet , smooth , fast , dust free , and the MOST FUN FACTOR of any OHVs I have owned (about 25) except my trials bikes but it's nearly impossible to compare the two .
Glad you like yours !

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I took delivery of a new Talon X about a month ago and because of circumstances, was not able to even test run it until today. Yesterday I installed the snorkel for cleaner air intake so today took it out in the dirt, rocks, and dust.
During this last month I have been keeping up on all the threads on this forum that pertained to my new ride so I was fully expecting a horrible driving experience. So I cautiously headed out to the sticks expecting an impossibly twitchy throttle, a bone jarring ride, a noisey FWD, jerky shifting transmission with a deafening gear whine.
Well, I didn't notice any of that at all. The noisiest part of the ride was the tires...in all modes. It just ran like a champ and is a total blast to ride on the rocky four wheel drive trails and some no trails, of the northern Nevada high desert.
I value this forum's wealth of information but, as with most forums, we only read about the problems and after a while it seems all are flawed. I have to remind myself that what I am reading represents only a small percentage of all the machines out there.
Luckily, it seems, I got a good one. I feel so relieved and can't wait to go again.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, I know, and I hate being ...that guy.. who complaines about everything, and I’m usually not! I really want to love my Talon, but until I get this howling tranny issue resolved it’s going to be tough. If it can’t be resolved with reasonable effort/expense, I think it will have to go. The other things like touchy throttle and stiff ride I will adapt to or correct in other ways!
Glad your loving your Talon and enjoying your time in it!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome @BeezrGeezr , I'm with you on this, I love my Talon. My only complaint is minor, I wasn't impressed with what it took to install the door lowers but the machine is outstanding. It impresses me everytime I take it out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congratulations on your ride and the fact you are enjoying it!
I gotta say last weekend was my first time with any seat time and I don’t own one,yet but my impression of the vehicle was very positive. Smooth and quiet, more so then my Pioneer. Had absolutely no b**** about that “touchy throttle” many complain about. f***er is just about go time. If someone buying one to cruise lightly it may be the wrong rig.
My only complaints were the cup holder situation, rear end could be resprung, but my biggest complaint is I ain’t got one just YET! I pretty much knew going in what to expect and I wasn’t let down.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
EZgoing, you need to compare yours with another one. If its not like another one then warranty should fix it. It sucks when you have a problem with a new toy. Your dealer should have a demo if your friends don't have one.

Reactions: BeezrGeezr
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congratulations on your ride and the fact you are enjoying it!
I gotta say last weekend was my first time with any seat time and I don’t own one,yet but my impression of the vehicle was very positive. Smooth and quiet, more so then my Pioneer. Had absolutely no b**** about that “touchy throttle” many complain about. f***er is just about go time. If someone buying one to cruise lightly it may be the wrong rig.
My only complaints were the cup holder situation, rear end could be resprung, but my biggest complaint is I ain’t got one just YET! I pretty much knew going in what to expect and I wasn’t let down.

It has cup holders, mine were just covered with a middle third “bump” seat. 800miles on mine, the throttle lost most of it’s twitchy ness, just like my pioneer it takes a tiny bit of getting used too, but also smoothed out after the break in service. My only complaint is that I don’t get to drive it as much as I wish

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It has cup holders, mine were just covered with a middle third “bump” seat. 800miles on mine, the throttle lost most of it’s twitchy ness, just like my pioneer it takes a tiny bit of getting used too, but also smoothed out after the break in service. My only complaint is that I don’t get to drive it as much as I wish
Oh like you automatically assume I was talking about your rig?? f***ing awesome machine brother, thanks so much for for the opportunity.
I can appreciate the jump seat being a family guy like you are.

Reactions: BeezrGeezr and BWAF
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
You typically get extreme over-exaggeration of things like "throttle is so jerky I had to see the doctor for whiplash" to "I can't feel any difference at all in power going to 32 inch tires from 28 inch tires".

On balance, I'm of the impression that it is a decently powered and decently sprung, if a perhaps a little stiff, machine. The build quality comments are spot on from what I've seen looking at floor models. Can't wait to pick up an X4 at the end of the year.

jonathannook

jonathannook

Oct 7, 2019
Quartzsite AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

Honestly, the throttle can be twitchy when you're on anything rough. It helps if you keep your foot against the doghouse/firewall, but it's an issue for me for sure.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honestly, the throttle can be twitchy when you're on anything rough. It helps if you keep your foot against the doghouse/firewall, but it's an issue for me for sure.
Try the following, these worked for me. I rarely have "twitchy" throttle anymore...
  1. Adjust your throttle cable, mine was WAY off. Adjusting this made a marginal improvement.
  2. Back off your rear crossover rings at least one turn (but no more than 1.75 turns or you may get some coil bind), this will soften up the rear end under certain driving conditions and reduce bounce.
  3. Give it 1000 miles for the springs to settle in.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A75dc1798d63845e5ac6122d0da20c8b

I found a piece of extruded aluminum, cut a flat in it and screwed it to the floor to anchor your heel down to and be able to push against, it stoped my heel from bouncing when the trail gets rough and makes it so you don’t unintentionally stab the throttle

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!