• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon WOW! What a relief.

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by BeezrGeezr, Oct 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BeezrGeezr

BeezrGeezr Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I took delivery of a new Talon X about a month ago and because of circumstances, was not able to even test run it until today. Yesterday I installed the snorkel for cleaner air intake so today took it out in the dirt, rocks, and dust.
    During this last month I have been keeping up on all the threads on this forum that pertained to my new ride so I was fully expecting a horrible driving experience. So I cautiously headed out to the sticks expecting an impossibly twitchy throttle, a bone jarring ride, a noisey FWD, jerky shifting transmission with a deafening gear whine.
    Well, I didn't notice any of that at all. The noisiest part of the ride was the tires...in all modes. It just ran like a champ and is a total blast to ride on the rocky four wheel drive trails and some no trails, of the northern Nevada high desert.
    I value this forum's wealth of information but, as with most forums, we only read about the problems and after a while it seems all are flawed. I have to remind myself that what I am reading represents only a small percentage of all the machines out there.
    Luckily, it seems, I got a good one. I feel so relieved and can't wait to go again.

Rambo, Tigermark, popeye and 17 others like this.
  2. Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors Executive Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    The thing about the internet is people are quick to complain and slow to give praises. Thanks for adding a well done review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chooglin, Mudder, 906UP and 4 others like this.
  3. HUCK

HUCK Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
    To me , my Talon is the best in every aspect . Quiet , smooth , fast , dust free , and the MOST FUN FACTOR of any OHVs I have owned (about 25) except my trials bikes but it's nearly impossible to compare the two .
    Glad you like yours !

Tigermark, Chooglin, Mudder and 4 others like this.
  4. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X

Chooglin and BeezrGeezr like this.
  5. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Yeah, I know, and I hate being ...that guy.. who complaines about everything, and I’m usually not! I really want to love my Talon, but until I get this howling tranny issue resolved it’s going to be tough. If it can’t be resolved with reasonable effort/expense, I think it will have to go. The other things like touchy throttle and stiff ride I will adapt to or correct in other ways!
    Glad your loving your Talon and enjoying your time in it!

Tigermark, Chooglin, Mudder and 2 others like this.
  6. JimmyA

JimmyA Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the forum.

7. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Good post... it’s always nice when things exceed your expectations!

8. 906UP

906UP #Chocalateknivezmatter
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
  9. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    popeye, Mudwing, Chooglin and 3 others like this.
  10. hondabob

hondabob Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    EZgoing, you need to compare yours with another one. If its not like another one then warranty should fix it. It sucks when you have a problem with a new toy. Your dealer should have a demo if your friends don't have one.

BeezrGeezr likes this.
  11. popeye

popeye Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    It has cup holders, mine were just covered with a middle third “bump” seat. 800miles on mine, the throttle lost most of it’s twitchy ness, just like my pioneer it takes a tiny bit of getting used too, but also smoothed out after the break in service. My only complaint is that I don’t get to drive it as much as I wish

12. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    BeezrGeezr and BWAF like this.
  13. jamesh

jamesh Active Member

Ownership:
    You typically get extreme over-exaggeration of things like "throttle is so jerky I had to see the doctor for whiplash" to "I can't feel any difference at all in power going to 32 inch tires from 28 inch tires".

On balance, I'm of the impression that it is a decently powered and decently sprung, if a perhaps a little stiff, machine. The build quality comments are spot on from what I've seen looking at floor models. Can't wait to pick up an X4 at the end of the year.

Sheetmetalfab and popeye like this.
  14. jonathannook

jonathannook New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Honestly, the throttle can be twitchy when you're on anything rough. It helps if you keep your foot against the doghouse/firewall, but it's an issue for me for sure.

15. PaulF

PaulF Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Try the following, these worked for me. I rarely have "twitchy" throttle anymore...
    1. Adjust your throttle cable, mine was WAY off. Adjusting this made a marginal improvement.
    2. Back off your rear crossover rings at least one turn (but no more than 1.75 turns or you may get some coil bind), this will soften up the rear end under certain driving conditions and reduce bounce.
    3. Give it 1000 miles for the springs to settle in.

jonathannook and popeye like this.
  16. popeye

popeye Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    a75dc1798d63845e5ac6122d0da20c8b.jpg

I found a piece of extruded aluminum, cut a flat in it and screwed it to the floor to anchor your heel down to and be able to push against, it stoped my heel from bouncing when the trail gets rough and makes it so you don’t unintentionally stab the throttle