Welcome to HONDASXS.com. If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Comparison-Pioneer 700, 2 RZR's, 60 miles

General talk about the Honda Pioneer 700-2 and 700-4. Talk about anything you like relating to this new bread of Side by Side.

Comparison-Pioneer 700, 2 RZR's, 60 miles

Postby russ344 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello to all,
We went on a 60 mile trail ride yesterday. There was my wife and I in our 700-4, 4 people in a Razor 800-4, and 3 people in another Razor 800-4. The ride was desert with a mix of deep sand washes, hard packed dirt, rocks, and some really steep hillclimbs.

Power-I had no problem keeping up with the Razors anywhere along the ride. However, keep in mind they had a lot more weight in them than we did.
The speeds were between 5-25 mph the entire trip and we all rode at a casual pace.

Hillclimbs-The Honda amazed everyone (especially me!) climbing hills. There were some hills that were scary long and steep. I would NEVER have
thought they were even possible to climb if I didn't see the Razors go up them first. There was one that the Razors barely made it up and the
Honda had no problem going up it. I don't know if the Razors tried it in High or low but they struggled.

Sand-The Honda was terrible in the sand. The front end pushes so much you can't even steer it. I tried it with differential lock and it didn't seem to
make any difference. I haven't checked my tire pressure yet to see what it was at. While I struggled to keep the Honda straight, the Razors had
no problem. I rode in the back so I could watch them. Their front tires were straight while I struggled with the steering wheel the entire time we
were in the sand.

Suspension-This is where I wished I had bought a Razor. The Honda rode OK, not bad. The Razors were so much better that I couldn't believe it. When
we rode over some small stutter bumps their heads were not even moving, while we were getting tossed around pretty badly. There was
no comparison in the 2. The Razors handled everything much smoother than the Honda. If anyone comes out with aftermarket suspension
for the Honda, I will be first in line to get it.

Overall, I was really pleased with the Honda. Everyone loved the look of it and couldn't believe the price they are selling for. The ride was great and we all had fun. However, if it was a fast trail ride I would never have been able to keep up. Not because of power but because of handling. I know the Polaris is a sport bike and the Honda is more of a utility/trail bike but i was still surprised at the difference in suspension. This is all just my opinion and I hope I don't get anyone angry. I am only trying to share my experience on this ride with everyone.
russ344
Power Wheel
Power Wheel

Advertisement

Re: Comparison-Pioneer 700, 2 RZR's, 60 miles

Postby Jaykup20 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Just goes to show that the Honda is not a one trick pony.... The rzr would not last more than a few miles on the tight trails here in Maine.... Which is why most people cruise around in rangers.....I wool be a Honda man for sure.

Thanks for sharing!
Jaykup20
90cc Rider
90cc Rider

Postby b4hntn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:00 pm

One thread said the 700-4 has adjustable rear suspension. Did you try different settings?
2014 Pioneer 700-4 (p4) Olive Green
2000 300 FourTrax Red
b4hntn
90cc Rider
90cc Rider

Postby Oregondunes89 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Was power lacking in the sand or was it just the steering? If the psi in your tires were full, then it would be terrible in the sand. Do you know what you were running? I want to get the P4 specifically for riding in the sand...
Oregondunes89
90cc Rider
90cc Rider

Postby Swamper » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 am

Mine does well in the sand. In very slow and tight turns it does want to go straight and pushes a bit. Just a trade off to having a non-diff rear end. Traction in 4wd is as good as anything I've ridden.
Swamper
125cc Rider
125cc Rider

Postby russ344 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:56 am

I checked my tire pressures. The fronts were both 9 psi. The rears buried my 15 psi gauge so I don't know how high they were. Honda manual says 10 front 12 rear. I lowered my rears to 12 and left the fronts at 9 but I haven't tried it yet. I know these are high pressures for sand but I'm not familiar with these tires. Does anyone think I could lower the pressures without debeading them? If the pressures were lowered I think the Honda would do a LOT better.
russ344
Power Wheel
Power Wheel

Postby JoeyG » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Honda had my tires at 15 psi all around. I lowered my tire pressure to 3 psi both front and back tires. Made a world of difference! Smoother ride on dirt roads and much better traction on dry and wet sand. I wouldn't load up the bed with 1000 lbs without bringing pressure back up though. A lot of guys ride ranchers and foremans on the sandy creek where we ride, and we all run less than 3 lbs in all tires with no problems. But remember, that's a machine 1/2 the weight of the Pioneers.
JoeyG
Power Wheel
Power Wheel

Postby russ344 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm going to lower the pressures and go for a ride in the sand this weekend. I'll post the results.
russ344
Power Wheel
Power Wheel

Postby Bfree » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:56 pm

The long travel suspension of the RZR 4 is hard to beat. I had a std model '08 50" RZR before Polaris came out w/the RZR 4 and it didn't hold a candle to the ride of the RZR 4 model.
Bfree
90cc Rider
90cc Rider

Postby Swamper » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:45 am

Keep in mind that these are not apples to apples comparisons. What makes the rzr 4 ride so good is its wheelbase. Same reason the rzr 2 doesn't ride as good as the rzr 4. All suspension being equal the long wheelbase of the limo models will always ride better especially when loaded with 4 ppl. If the pioneer were that long it would ride a whole lot better too. But then again there's trade offs both ways. Turning radius and break over angles are poor with the limo. But it will always ride better than a short wheel base SxS.
Swamper
125cc Rider
125cc Rider

Advertisement

------ ------
Next

Return to General Pioneer 700 Discussion