P700 700-4 Overheating under power

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
If it was the muffler issue you would have a noticeable loss of power under load or at high speed. Is that something you've noticed?
I have not noticed and issue with having power, just that it over heats if I pull power to go up hill. I keep up with the others I ride with who all have 700s as well. It did overheat after a long drive at higher speeds when we got on a road that accessed the park. As soon as we left the level road and started to climb the temp went up.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many miles does your pioneer have? I checked my spark arrestor at around 2000 miles and it wasn't really dirty. BUT that is on a yoshimura pipe which has a screen type spark arrestor. Not sure what stock is. It's easy enough to check in there but I'd be surprised if that's your problem.

And just to be clear, the baffles breaking off in the muffler and the spark arrestor being plugged are two entirely different issues, although they could have similar symptoms. Seems that people with the baffle problem noticed power loss as the primary symptom not over heating. And I believe that was really only an issue on some 2014 models.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm starting to really wonder about your water pump. Assuming your radiator is clean, no pinched coolant lines, no air in the system, no smashed radiator fins, no big lights or anything mounted to the front that might block airflow, and the fans working... I can't think of anything else that might cause that problem. If the water pump was under performing that would really explain it.

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
If it was the muffler issue you would have a noticeable loss of power under load or at high speed. Is that something you've noticed?
I pulled the spark greater out and the screen was clean except for little soot.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
It could also be a warped head, blown head gasket, casting flaw in the head, incorrect fuel mapping causing a lean condition, O2 sensor giving false readings causing a lean condition, failed/failing coolant sensor. Have you tried an analog gauge somewhere in the water path, to ensure it's not just a bad sensor, I don't recall seeing if you answered if it was overflowing when it gets hot. That's all I can think of right now.

Reactions: Tflynn
mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Approx. 400 miles.
I washed the radiator when it first happened at the end of the day. No help for day two. I got a stick thru the grill bent over a couple fins, should be no issue. Water was boiling in radiator, could hear it so not a false indication, dealer checked temp and said it was not an indication issue. I would hope if they put a code reader of some type on it, it would have stored a code if anything like lean burn or O2 sensors were bad. Not trusting that they did anything at this point.

National help line said to take it back and they would think about what to recommend. I suggested they think about it and talk to the dealer and find out what they did or did not do. Then tell me when to bring it. I don't appreciate it sitting there while they "think" about it. Simple call to engineering and make a hit list to check. Seems they are intent on it being there while they ponder the issue. I'm standing my ground at this point. I hate to hear "our policy is..." First couple minutes of the call was an ad from the rep telling me how wonderful the machine is and how he never heard of a overheating problem.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That sucks. I hate hearing how they are treating this like no big deal. Sounds like you've covered all the basics and ruled out all simple fixes. Be sure and keep us updated on anything that happens.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I knew a guy that had a similar problem and it turned out that although the fan kicked on when triggered by temp sensor the fan propellor itself was not securely attached to the fan motor. Just a thought.

Reactions: joeymt33
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Make it heat up. When it registers too hot, is the fan running.

When you stop does the fan keep running?
If you back off (no longer under hard load) does it cool back down?

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
I knew a guy that had a similar problem and it turned out that although the fan kicked on when triggered by temp sensor the fan propellor itself was not securely attached to the fan motor. Just a thought.
Goo point, I will check this out.

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana

When it first happened, I did not notice the heat until the red light came on, the display defaults to fuel. We had stopped to take a break after climbing to the windmills in Windrock. When we stopped and got out I noticed the overflow dripping. Then heard the boil. I turned on the key without starting to run the fan, it immediately kicked on. Now I understand this cools the water in the radiator and not in the engine, but its a start. After the fan cooled and shutoff, I started the engine, the bars were at 3 and it wet down to 2 quickly. Each time after it heated up to 4 bars I stopped climbing, pulled over, shutdown the engine but kept the key on to run the fan. This got me back under way sooner. My buds I was riding with pulled over kept their engines running waiting for me to cool off with no more than two bars on their temps the entire climb, wait and continued. After I started having problems we all set our displays to temp each time we started. Annoying that it goes back to fuel each time.
Mike

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana

Yes, if climbing and it heats up, if the trail levels off I can count on it cooling back down without killing the engine.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Automotive Cooling system:
Water - You verified as full
Radiator - is new and seems unlikely to be the issue
Thermostat - could be stuck
Pump - might be bad (also seems like low probability)
Fan - easy to confirm that it is blowing when it overheats

Change the thermostat. If that doesn't do it, look at the pump.

Side thought... Could something be blocking the air flow?

Reactions: Mudwing and Tflynn
mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana

Add thermostat to unlikely that it only sticks going up hill.

I'm thinking water passage blockage since it only does it when pulling additional power and heat. Something is restricting water flow not air flow over the radiator. Pump? Possibly but since it is under warranty it will have to be the dealer pulling it apart, and since they say they can't change parts unless Honda OKs it, and Honda is bowing me off, dealer words not mine, nothing is getting done.

I would think you can add unlikely to the thermostat being stuck only when

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Right now I'm waiting for a supervisor with Honda to escalate the issue. We'll see how high we have to go before hey pay attention.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!