Honda Pioneer 700 Custom Turbo!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
Re: look what i got in the mail today

this will upset you even more.
this is garrets turbo calculator. I have knocked the engine air flow and the inter cooler efficacy way back two more real world.
I have knocked back the engine efficiency to 50% that makes the calculator give me 40 hp with 1 psi boost. I think that is about right for calibrating.

Attachments

• 50% ef.PNG
    50% ef.PNG
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,098
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

10 psi and more fuel. you can see were this is headed. can you say melt down...lol

Attachments

• 10 psi.PNG
    10 psi.PNG
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,116
S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014

You really don't need an inter cooler if boost is 8 psi or under.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

intercooler is for safety cooler charge slow detonation. plus you get more power out of lower boost.
here is the same numbers no intercooler.

Attachments

• no intercooler.PNG
    no intercooler.PNG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,081
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

so last night I managed to get the egt sensor installed the head pipe wrapped and installed. could not decide what to use to seal pipe tread in an exhaust pipe so I welded the stainless fitting in. im guessing that wont leak.
i made a new intercooler discharge elbow with waist gate, boost and temp ports . its ugly but nothing a little flat black cant fix. I have a new found respect for those guys who make manifolds and headers out of sections of pipe its hard to make it look good.
I had to cut the slip joint off the stock exhaust. my home made joint leaked and didn't want to fool around with it so used the stock one. if I was going to do it all again I would use the whole stock pipe and muffler it would have been easer and cheaper. but that is air tight and wrapped now. no pic.
the oil pressure is down to 40 at idle on the turbo with the new restricted. that should be all set.
I got side tracked and cant stop playing around. so I had it running I have .25 psi boost at idle. no turbo lag there.
next will be the cooling system. then the gages and some heat shields and air ducts.
I have a blow off valve coming but not shore if I will use it.

Attachments

• elbow.png
    elbow.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,067
  • head pipe wrap.png
    head pipe wrap.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,079
  • head pipe.png
    head pipe.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,066
  • idle.png
    idle.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,092
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

up date
water in and out is done. things are painted. gauges mounted and working. heat shields made. the turbo inlet was not even close to the size of the pipe going in. thinking about it kept me up at night. I know that's weird. did some grinding all set now.
the bike is ready to go. I had it fired up and I was trying to set the wait gate. I had to re clock the turbo when installing so the Waist gate was off. anyway I was trying to hold it back with the brakes and couldn't so I chained the bike to a beam in the garage. I torched it up and the rear wheels went up into smock 18 mph on the speedo. at that point I put it in 4 lock and tried again. it still spun all four wheels but I did get the wait gate set to 5 psi. I tried it one more time I was going to take a video to post but this time it pulled the beam down. so I had to spend take time to jack the building up and reinstall the beam.
I just have to put the bed back on and its out side we go a real road test. I will try to take some videos to post. here are some pics of the progress.

Attachments

• heat shield.png
    heat shield.png
    388.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • gages installed.png
    gages installed.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • match pipe.png
    match pipe.png
    624.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • painted up.png
    painted up.png
    655.4 KB · Views: 1,026
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My jealousy knows no bounds right now.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
look what i got in the mail today

Well it works and it works well, goes though 3 gears in seconds. but that's not the good part. When riding around slow or normal it stays on the light throttle shift programing so you're not waiting for it to shift. the thing makes gobs of torque, no turbo lag its always there.
No need for a low range if it wont move it digs holes. Crawling around tight trails its just waiting to go. This thing will definitely haul the Rincon reduction gear now and that may be were I am headed. Time will tell on that.
I still need to install a intercooler fan before spring . I am going to replace all of my air hoses with turbo silicone hoses now that I know the configuration works. I am going up north next week end that will be the real test some real trail riding.
I have put a couple of short video's on my photo bucket.
the video on the road I did is between the two roads I live on. the bike has never been able to hit the rev limiter in time to stop and turn back in the second road. it wouldn't even do it before all of the added crap. now it does it in time to let it roll to a turn speed.
the second video was just to show you how quick it goes though the gears. I am still amazed.
Videos posted below!

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

Embedded videos for spifyd
[parsehtml]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="internal" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http://vid975.photobucket.com/albums/ae233/spifyd/turbo/GOPR0663.mp4&title=Honda Pioneer Turbo">[/parsehtml][parsehtml]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="internal" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http://vid975.photobucket.com/albums/ae233/spifyd/turbo/GOPR0661.mp4&title=Honda Pioneer Turbo">[/parsehtml]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
look what i got in the mail today

Wow.. that took off fast. I wished I had the mad fab skills. Lol.

Speaking of the Rincon reductions. It would be a increased gear wouldn't it? But have we determined if the limiter is a rev limiter or a speed limiter? If it's speed, then I'm not sure I see the benefit until we can get it overridden.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

10 seconds to the rev limiter. 50 mph with the larger tire. its a rev limiter. does it sitting still and under heavy load it does it at a little slow speed. (torque converter slip)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'd put 30's on mine if I had that setup.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

the thing rips. much more than expected. it just zips though the gears and smoothly. I need to find some thing to drag race to see what it will keep up with. it feels like it has about 50 or 60 hp. its crazy with no lag. it just there.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
I say patent the mods as a kit and sell sell sell. I bet there would be tremendous amount of buyers and I know we all would love to see some video even if it was in a back yard.

Reactions: itsleo
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I have some finshing touches to make then I will do some videos.
I dont have any open trails to video localy but it helps tremendously in the tight trails too. I have a poker run up north this mounth I will be meeting up with a couple of commander 1000s. Hpoe to get some videos then. The real test will be when some 700 owners try it.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
to day I install the bow off valve I drilled a few holes in the intercooler. made a backing plate for the inside intercooler to lock down the valve.
had to drill the head for manifold vacuum. just crossed my fingers and drilled taped it to 10/32 and installed the fitting.
with a little adjustment it seems to work pretty good.

Attachments

• tapping port.png
    tapping port.png
    878 KB · Views: 677
  • vac port done.png
    vac port done.png
    867.1 KB · Views: 690
  • turbo with valve.png
    turbo with valve.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 687
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I know i'd be interested in a kit if it was safe for the engine

define safe. will it last 20000 mile between rebuilds probably not but I bet it will last longer than a rzr will.
if you drag race it all day it will shorten life if you drive it normal it will last a long long time. I hope. lol I will see.
for me rebuilding the motor is not a big deal and if I have to rebuild it every 10000 mile that's fine with me.
when I have it apart I will use a forger piston and lower the compression so I can turn it up some more .

Reactions: bobbyhill

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!