My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
spifyd said:
I know i'd be interested in a kit if it was safe for the engine

define safe. will it last 20000 mile between rebuilds probably not but I bet it will last longer than a rzr will.
if you drag race it all day it will shorten life if you drive it normal it will last a long long time. I hope. lol I will see.
for me rebuilding the motor is not a big deal and if I have to rebuild it every 10000 mile that's fine with me.
when I have it apart I will use a forger piston and lower the compression so I can turn it up some more .

If the performance increase is as drastic as you say. I could turn down the boost and be satisfied myself.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
I hate to ask this considering no ride time as of yet but what about the mud crew? Will it be able to withstand the deep holes? Just curious.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the biggest problem with mud I can see is keeping the intercooler clean. up front or over the bed would be better. time will tell on reliability. I still have not had time for long rides. I do a lot of 100 mile plus days normally . when those days start up again we will see.
so far the only concern I am having is controlling the 160 psi of oil pressure coming from the motor to the turbo. typically turbo's run 5 to 50. I think I have it solved with the restricted but we will see.

and yes keeping to turned down would be the key to longevity. but boost is like crack you all ways want more.

I will tell you this the motor sound like its struggling with out the turbo but feels very normal and happy with it. there's no pinging or any other strange sounds it is actually quieter.it also sounds like a motor the makes power. nice growl.

the transmission was the biggest surprise. I was disappointed with the way it was programed after owning a Rincon. the Rincon shifted smoother and always seamed to be in the right gear .no need to shift manually. the pioneer never seemed happy and shifted horrible. now with turbo so far it spot on shifts nice and smooth and seams to be in the right gear for the job. the stall speed has risen to 4500 with 4 psi boost with those number you probably have 35 hp sitting still.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I received this in the mail today its just what I wanted, small but makes a statement.

I also made some covers to try to keep the mud out of the engine compartment.

when I was playing with the waste gate I noticed it would not open all the way when testing it I found I could make 5 psi with the gate open. so I reworked the manifold to give the gate more angle.

Attachments

• turbo 2.png
    turbo 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 623
  • mud gards.png
    mud gards.png
    941.4 KB · Views: 638
  • wast gate.png
    wast gate.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 628
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire

some one will have to fix this but I was testing the blow off valve in the garage. check out the boost pressure and stall speed sitting still or as still as I could keep it. lol

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
With just the Dobek on the initial settings, did you feel a power increase? After looking at it and the price i'm just about sold on it. I have a wide band i can rig up to try and get the max settings if it needs to be changed. Great work on the build. I was seriously looking into this same turbo , but i wasn't sure i wanted to put the money into the machine. How much did the snail cost?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the dobeck helped without the turbo the dobeck does not have initial settings you set what you want for fuel afr and it keeps it there you can run the motor at any afr you want. the gen4 from dobeck has the gage as part of the programmer. it runs off the o2 sensor at any afr you want. when testing for head room in the injector I had it holding at 10 at wide open throttle it was chocking its self to death with fuel but that told me I had a lot of head room in the injector.
the other thing you can do is set it on the fly. say u were climbing a long hill you can sweep the mixture richer or leaner until you find the sweet spot for the day , elevation or mods you have.
this motor like fuel runs stronger on the rich side. its a must if you get the think to breath. I cant even drive mine without it now.
I will do a video showing how it works and how to set it. its a very cool unit and I cant think of anything that would work better.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have been reading everything on their site this evening. They don't show a gen 4 on the site though. What was the cost on it? And as far as a gauge, are you saying it comes with a wideband?

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I see it now. I was looking at the gen 3.5

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
there videos left me still not completely understanding it that's why I want to do one for you guys. I think I can explain it better.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Defiantly,
Think most of us are interested in the programmer. Just afraid.
Afraid to spend the $ and not see any results. If someone says they got results then I'm all in.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you look at his dash it appears he has the wideband mounted. I would say he is using the afr+ gen 4 for the big red

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the ge 4 is for the pioneer we had it on the dyno this summer to get the basic parameters. they just haven't updated the web sight a call to them would be the best wat to get one. that being said we ran 24 hp and 24 torque. we did not get much of a power gain on the dyno with the gen4. but when I installed it the drivability was much better when I richened it up it felt more powerful. as mat from dobeck sead it would really only be beneficial if you make the motor flow more. that is when you will see the gain. with the turbo I cant even get it to move without the gen 4.
if you watch the video you can see im running out of injector at the end of the road run. since I posted that video I found the waist gate was not controlling the boost very well I think I probably had 10 psi at the end of that run. I was to busy trying to watch everything else and for the cops to watch the boost so I don't really know for sure.
the gen 4 was set on 12.5 for wide open throttle that is about 10 or 11 o'clock on the gage. just before it gets to redline in 3 gear you can see it headed for 2 o'clock still well with in a safe zone but not full power.
anyway the gen 4 is a must if you want to see the gains from any kind of engine mods. probably not going to give you much of a gain if you don't mod. when I was working with the turbo adviser I had to go all the way down to 50% volumetric efficient for a motor that should be in the 80s or 90s. that tells me there is a lot of room for improvement. if I was a high elevation guy I would have one for sure. remember you can adjust it on the fly to find what the motor wants.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
hears a couple of videos one letting it warm up slow speed. the other testing the wait gate adjustment some one can imbed them.
(See Next Post)
hell I cant find the other one I keep up loading then I cant find them

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Video
[parsehtml]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid975.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fae233%2Fspifyd%2Fturbo%2Fon%2520lake%2520small%2520injector.mp4&title=on%20lake%20out%20of%20fuel">[/parsehtml]

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
that's not the second one im still trying to get it on photo bucket. im surprised you didn't put the burn out one

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
spifyd said:
that's not the second one im still trying to get it on photo bucket. im surprised you didn't put the burn out one
Thought about it.. Lol.
I will if u don't mind.
Was that burn out with the turbo?

Currently an admin can only embed from photobucket. But if u post a link I will always convert it.
I'm working on allowing everyone soon.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
that was with the turbo the tires were already warm and sticky. did you notice how hard the chain was pulling down on the rear. that was like having 3 fat guys in the back. if you watch you will see it shift into second gear just before the smoke got really bad .
I finally got the other one there last night. I had it named wrong in my computer.Th GOPR0670mp4

so I loaded up the bike today and went to the car wash I figured now that im almost done I should wash some of the mud I have been swimming in off. I know should have done that first. any way after that I went to the scrap yard on the way home and weighed the bike 1781# with no passengers I did have the dog house on it so it was trail ready other than my 210# the wife's &&&# that's a mystery and 75#s of dogs. we will call it another 460#sa total of 2240 riding weight. We will call it 2000 test weight.

H

hydrantman

spifyd said:
that was with the turbo the tires were already warm and sticky. did you notice how hard the chain was pulling down on the rear. that was like having 3 fat guys in the back. if you watch you will see it shift into second gear just before the smoke got really bad .
I finally got the other one there last night. I had it named wrong in my computer.Th GOPR0670mp4

so I loaded up the bike today and went to the car wash I figured now that im almost done I should wash some of the mud I have been swimming in off. I know should have done that first. any way after that I went to the scrap yard on the way home and weighed the bike 1781# with no passengers I did have the dog house on it so it was trail ready other than my 210# the wife's &&&# that's a mystery and 75#s of dogs. we will call it another 460#sa total of 2240 riding weight. We will call it 2000 test weight.

Smart man on the Wife's weight!!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!