Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I haven't had time to look at the injector. What size is the stock and what size are you going too? Cost and part number?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the stock one is a 420 cc. I ordered a 650 but it didn't fit to fat on the body. I have ordered a Yamaha raptor injector all measurement's are the same but 13 mm longer I have already picked up spacers and bolts the injector should be here in a couple of days. this one I ordered was a 550cc. the 550 will bring me to 65 hp I am hoping its large enough. 650 would be enough but maybe more than the controller can handle when idling. so I am kind of on the fence the injectors are 75 to 80 you can find them on ebay. there is injectors all the way the 1200cc in 100cc increments. I was talking to an injector guy the other day and he told me if I remove the 12 hole nozzle on the stock one it would flow 80% more. 750cc . that's to much the fuel controller can't turn down the fuel enough at idle and start up works good wide open 11.50 to 1 at 50% duty cycle.

Reactions: panther1
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have you strapped it back down since adding the turbo? I'm curious as to how you know the injector should bring you to 65hp. How are you monitoring duty cycle?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
there are many injector and turbo calculators out there. here is an injector calculator.http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx
I can watch duty cycle on my multi meter and have but when we had it on the dyno in Montana the bike never went over 50% duty cycle. so the stock programing is right around there wire open. a little more or less depending on elevation and air intake temp.
here is an example. This would be a stock bike they run slightly rich so that's the .55.

here is what i am going with with the turbo. If I run out of fuel with the 550 injector it will be bitter sweet. bitter because I will have to buy another

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 65 hp turbo.JPG
    65 hp turbo.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 457
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
this is garrets boost adviser. this is as close to reality as I can make it.

Attachments

• boost 1.PNG
    boost 1.PNG
    82.6 KB · Views: 422
  • boost 2.PNG
    boost 2.PNG
    126.1 KB · Views: 422
  • boost 3.PNG
    boost 3.PNG
    101 KB · Views: 422
  • boost 4.PNG
    boost 4.PNG
    86.5 KB · Views: 429
  • boost 5.PNG
    boost 5.PNG
    92.9 KB · Views: 424
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
]and more
[attachment=0]boost 8.PNG[/attachment
the last one is were I hope to be when I get the waste gate to control the big end. it works good until top speed then its 9 psi I have moved the pressure tube to the compressor outlet we will see if that helps

Attachments

• boost 6.PNG
    boost 6.PNG
    93 KB · Views: 420
  • boost 7.PNG
    boost 7.PNG
    74.8 KB · Views: 413
  • boost 8.PNG
    boost 8.PNG
    74.1 KB · Views: 414
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll race, I know I'm gonna lose but it'll make for a good comparison.

advertisement
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I think it will answer a lot of questions for a lot of us including me. I would love to race some one at the same weight.
I am going to a poker run up north this weekend the people we are going with are riding a 1000 commander hope I can keep up.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I got it out on the lake tonight with the new 550 injector. ran really nice ,didn't seam to run out of fuel but then again I was worried about running out of lake not fuel so I didn't look that closely I was hoping the video camera would show me but I cant see it on the video. I also made a quick road run I can post that one it shows a gps speedo on the tablet.
http://vid975.photobucket.com/albums/ae ... PR0675.mp4
some one can fix that one two. maybe I should lean how to do this.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
we got up north this weekend there is a yearly poker run we like to go to it was a good time to test out the turbo we put on about 150 miles.
this is a video along the trail. I have another one I will post later.

here's the second video. on this one we renamed the o #### handle to shut the #### up and hold on handle. if I had stock shocks it would have bottomed out no less than 25 times. but not even once with the fox.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Stratford run?? I almost went to that with a couple friends!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I just filled the bike 6 gallons to go 61 miles. I don't think it was much better last year in the snow.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
If there's another ride anytime soon we can drag. I couldn't make it this weekend but hope to get to future ones. I'm not far from where the ride was held.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
spifyd said:
I just filled the bike 6 gallons to go 61 miles. I don't think it was much better last year in the snow.
So what you saying? What is your conclusion on fuel consumption with the turbo.
We know snow riding is a different ball game.
Overall, how do you think it is doing. More for sure, but how much?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
If there's another ride anytime soon we can drag. I couldn't make it this weekend but hope to get to future ones. I'm not far from where the ride was held.
I don't think there are anymore rides this winter but I am up for making our own any weekend. after the weather settles down here. I am going out to see if the pioneer can push 2 feet of snow in a couple of hours.
just pm me we will get together. maybe we can do some fuel mileage comparisons at the same time.

fuel mileage is a tuff one. I really cant remember last years mileage but I do remember it was terrible. it also depends on the snow weather soft or deep.
my gut feeling is it will be ok until you start opening it up a lot right now the rev limiter keeps the speed down and I find 1/4 throttle will get you every where I think I used full throttle twice all day and that was seeing how fast I could go up a couple of long hills.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
just a little update first of all while plowing the other night I found the bike starting to stall. I finally realized I was running out of battery. it was night and everything was on heat defrost all lights wiper ext. that was fine last year . but now the intercooler fan that is hooked to a pressure switch seamed to be the straw that broke the camels back. now the fan has an off switch. its not really needed plowing in 20 degrees anyway.

the other thing that has been going on is the egt temps at low throttle and higher rpms is going of the chart 1650+ that's head pipe cherry red. that's melt down time for any one that doesn't know. it would suck to melt the motor down at 25 mph with no boost. lol. the egt can be kept down under boost with fuel but not at low speed no boost. on the same note there hasn't ben even a hint of spark knock or detonation even when it was running lean.
after lots of research and testing it looks like I need to add a bunch of ignition timing. what happens is the fuel is not burning fast enough so its still burning in the exhaust. normally you would end up backing off the timing with the turbo but the motor is so detuned it needs more. how much I have know idea. I think im going to start with 4 deg. and see how it goes. unfortunately the only way to change the timing is offset keys in the fly wheel. that wouldn't be bad if I didn't have to remove both rear covers on the motor to get the flywheel off. probably 4 hours work every change.
of Corse I will be right at the reduction gears at that point and I can buy the whole Rincon setup for 50 bucks on ebay. 60 mph pioneer any one???
I think I will wait on that one. if I can get the timing where it needs to I can lower the compression ratio and turn up the boost a little more.
the more I learn about this motor the more power I think is hiding inside and I think a lot of it will come out without boost.

right now with the 9.2 c/r and 9psi boost I have a Dynamic boost compression ratio of about 17 to 1 that should have pinged like crazy when I was lean on the small injector. that backs up my theory this thing is really detuned.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!