Honda Pioneer 700 Custom Turbo!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
this is what to much egt looks like. this is 3000 rpm no load. your looking at the head pipe right out of the motor the black dot is the egt prob.
now the funny thing is I had the turbo off tonight and I tried this with just an open exhaust and it still did the same thing.

now I wonder will a stock one do this. so im looking for a couple of guys to do some testing for me. I would like someone with stock exhaust and someone with after market exhaust to see if there's will do this. if you warm the bike up and just run it at 3000 rpms with no load for 30 or 40 seconds. then we will know.
I have a feeling the aftermarket exhaust will do it. and I think that's what took out the head pipe on lynn's

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm fairly sure it will do it too.
My ATV's have done it also, We have light our cig's and other things off it. lol.
I can video it tomorrow. But I dont have a tack to get right at 3k.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
what are your afr's at 3000rpm?

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It appears to be running lean for some reason. When you were talking about unburnt fuel in the exhaust earlier, I would figure that it would start to backfire like a two step. Thats what we do on my 240 an rx7 to build boost on the line.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
But I dont have a tack to get right at 3k.
it will do it at any rpm 2000 to 5000 rpm.

the bike will do it with afrs from 10.0 to 14.5. I cant drowned it unless I get it to where it starts miss firing rich . that's why im trying to fix it. on high boost I can drop egts with fuel. its richer than I want to run 11 to 11.5. egts go to 1650 or more at 30 mph just cruising no or low boost.

when we were racing back in the 80s there was a Mazda rotary in a midget one year that would have the pipe glowing from head to the pipe tip. the exhaust was 4 feet long. the car only ran one year they outlawed it. way to fast. anyway rotary's don't have valve to melt they can run that hot.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I received some keyways today a number 4 and number 2. I installed the #4 today. that was a lot of work.
it turns out the crank shaft is 1.65 thick at the key way so that x 4.13= 6.814 around that divided buy 365 degrees = .0186 per degree so as .040 offset key divided buy .0866 = 2.15 degrees of advance. if I had known the size of the crank I would have order a number 7. that would have been 3.7 degs.
after 6 hours of work I had it running and the temp is down about 1000 deg across the board. that's in the garage anyway.
I will have it out tomorrow after I put the bed and wheels back on tomorrow. were getting another foot of snow or so in the next couple of days. that should get some time on it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, you are well outside my skill level to even know what you said.. hahaha. But I do enjoy following you along. Did you get any pictures of it all apart?
Glad turning the timing turned down a bit and it helped with the heat. I didn't get my Pioneer out today. I will tomorrow.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
here are all of the gears that fell out on the floor when I removed the cover.

here's the keyway I was looking for.

another angle
flywheel ready to go back in

it was amazing all of the crap I had to remove to get this apart. some of it I added. to get the rear drive shaft off I had to remove the shocks , rear hubs and sway bar to slide the final drive back . of course all of the turbo crap was in the way. the motor has to be dropped off the mount two get 2 bolts off the bottom of the cover then the motor had to be jacked up to get the cover past the shaft.
I did the first round of plowing to day and it did help. I ordered a .070 key today I think im going to order Rincon reduction gears .
once I forget ho much work it was I will probably do it again and add the Rincon gearing.

Attachments

• fly wheel.jpg
    fly wheel.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 682
  • motor apart.png
    motor apart.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 758
  • trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 723
  • keyway.jpg
    keyway.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 680
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I have been having trouble keeping the boost down on the top end. it s been going to 9 psi with a 7 psi actuator. I finally took the turbine housing off and opened up the gate hole also ported the inlet to the hole to smooth out flow. today I took the road run and it held 7 psi. it was faster with the 9 psi. lol

Attachments

• waistgate beforpng.png
    waistgate beforpng.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 694
  • waist gate after 2.jpg
    waist gate after 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 698
  • turbo porting.jpg
    turbo porting.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 742
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hondasxs said:
I'm fairly sure it will do it too.
My ATV's have done it also, We have light our cig's and other things off it. lol.
I can video it tomorrow. But I dont have a tack to get right at 3k.
Well. I was ready but then I realized I installed wrap. So. No pics from me.

Thanks for the pics of the tear down.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After i washed mine today, I held it at roughly 1/3 throttle and in neutral. It took about 30 seconds and it was cherry red.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
So if a stock pioneer will do it will a rincon do it.
I have noticed the rincon and pioneer have different part nubers for the cam. I am guessing they eather changed cam timing or lobe center on the pioneer for more bottom end. That would explain why the motor starts loosing power at 5200 rpms .
so does anyone have a rincon they can test for glowing pipe.
Makes me wonder if the mud buster cam is a big red cam or mabe honda used there specs to make the big red cam??????

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any updates? So now the egt's never get over 650F?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
Not 650. But 1650 I guess that was a typo. it is lower but I really wont know until I can get out on the trails and since wehave gotten 4 feet of snow and another 2 feet this week it my be a while befor I do.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
more stuff in the mail. I received some blue silicone hoses and a Manuel boost controller. the boost controller will let me set the boost from 7 psi up to 30psi. or 7 psi to boom.

Attachments

• blue hose turbo.jpg
    blue hose turbo.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,207
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any more updates on egt's? It was in the teens yesterday here in west TN and I started the machine to let it warm up and then check the oil. I noticed that just idling the machine was so rich that the exhasut was turning red. It wasn't bright red but it was definatley hot.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
What I have come up with its not mixture its timing .the motor is too retarded. I added a few degrees to mine in the temperature came down 250 degrees I'm going to add another 6 but going to wait till after the meeting. I'm also looking into camshafts I want to see if a rincon will turn red if they don't I'm going to go to the rincon cam.
It turns out the combustion is not completing in the power stroke its is completing down the tailpipe .so typically advancing the the timing will get more fuel burnt during the power stroke. as long as you don't get pre ignition.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I tested the new boost controller out.
set it at 10 psi. goes good at 10.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Wow that thing rips. Bet it's lots of fun to drive.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!