P700 Pioneer 700 with Can-Am Commander Shocks

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Awesome!! So when is the install?
I got the McMaster Carr 15mm OD ordered, delivery july 7thish. The E Bay Australian company that caries the 14mm says they will be back in business july 21st lol. so thats a no. Got a 15mm drill bit ordered from amazon to drill bushings to accommodate 15mm. Ordering the poly bushings by phone tomorrow so maybe this weekendish or next week. Pics to follow for sure.

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I came up with 19" because the arms hit at full extension which is 20". So 1" less in case of stretch just to make sure there is clearance.

I'm not actually sure if they would be needed or not. I didn't run it without something there as I did not want to risk messing up the shock bodies. It could be fine for a long time as there doesn't seem to be a ton of pressure between the arms and the body of the shock, it hits right at the end of the extension. I just wanted to be safe. I ended up making a crude looking bump stop out of 1/2" of polyurethane and some hose clamps. Better safe than sorry I guess. I bought a small sheet of the 1/2" thick polyurethane off eBay and cut it down to size with a saws all.

Again, it's crude but it works.
41169a0f269af88a83164bbe101ab5d6

The only weaknesses I foresee would be slightly accelerated wear on the cv's and the steel sleeve wearing in the rear bushings as it isn't as hard a steel as I would like and its thin. But that's an easy fix if it does wear quickly.
green02crew would you say the polyurethane bump stops are warranted after having this mod for awhile now? or has anyone else ran their machines with out something like this? I have sway bar and all stock I thought I read that keeping it hooked up helps. Does anyone suggest limiting straps? whats ya'lls real life experience? BTW I am just waiting on the bushings and i'll start to work on it.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
green02crew would you say the polyurethane bump stops are warranted after having this mod for awhile now? or has anyone else ran their machines with out something like this? I have sway bar and all stock I thought I read that keeping it hooked up helps. Does anyone suggest limiting straps? whats ya'lls real life experience? BTW I am just waiting on the bushings and i'll start to work on it.

I'm honestly not sure if the bump stops are necessary. They show no signs of wear and I've thought about just removing them and trying it. I was hoping someone else would chime in with their experience running nothing.

Limiting straps are more expensive and extra moving parts so I just didn't bother with them.

If I still ran my sway bar, I wouldn't worry about it. You would have to get both tires off the ground for them to be at full extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jcash3485
J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok. Yea I don't plan on getting both tires off the ground very often lol. I don't know the joys of running non sway bar so I can't possible miss it. I would run those bumps stops if necessary but it doesn't sound like it with the sway bar attached and not running the machine like a dune buggy lol.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Update! Got the front shocks on. Stock measurement from front skid plate to ground was 10" after installing can am shocks (set to lightest setting) measurement was 13". That's insane lol. Haven't had a chance to test drive yet with them on. Waiting on poly bushings, that are in the mail on the way, and I'll do the back.

38329ea581db2a9de24282b27f413272
F1012d462c070bfc3b7e976e45b578bc

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Drive it! You won't belive the difference.
Today was my first really trail ride sense the Commander shock mod. UNBELIEVABLE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I Will I can't wait. I won't be able to today and it's going to kill me lol. Did you do the rears too or just the fronts?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Both front and rear

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Never once bottomed out today on the trail.4bc31bdc63d4bd6af9125ae47528013e

advertisement
J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
nice!! I just pushed the old bushings out the shocks and find a little trick that worked for me. Once I clamped down and it got tough to turn the vise I would wiggle the other end of the shock and kept doing that back and forth and it went allot smoother. Kind of finessing them out rather them lots of torque. I can't wait for the new bushings so I can finish lol.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
I'm honestly not sure if the bump stops are necessary. They show no signs of wear and I've thought about just removing them and trying it. I was hoping someone else would chime in with their experience running nothing.

Limiting straps are more expensive and extra moving parts so I just didn't bother with them.

If I still ran my sway bar, I wouldn't worry about it. You would have to get both tires off the ground for them to be at full extension.

DING DONG! I'm chiming in.......
No bump stops or limiting straps installed on my shock conversion and I run it hard every day for work averaging 40 miles day with some areas rough terrain. I drive my 700 hard and bottom out the front Canam shocks a few times a day. This is one conversion I suggest to everyone for an affordable ride upgrade. Power steering is also another great addition. Rear sway bar reinstalled and I prefer it that way.... it just handles better.

I'm in a lot of steep dusty terrain every day and my rear brake chatters like crazy most days. Sounds like grinding metal on metal.....irritating. I check the brakes often and they are good so I run it. Personnel on the gas pipe construction ROW hear me coming down those hills! They all yell at me to fix the brakes! LOL!!
20160709 144519resized

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
DING DONG! I'm chiming in.......
No bump stops or limiting straps installed on my shock conversion and I run it hard every day for work averaging 40 miles day with some areas rough terrain. I drive my 700 hard and bottom out the front Canam shocks a few times a day. This is one conversion I suggest to everyone for an affordable ride upgrade. Power steering is also another great addition. Rear sway bar reinstalled and I prefer it that way.... it just handles better.

I'm in a lot of steep dusty terrain every day and my rear brake chatters like crazy most days. Sounds like grinding metal on metal.....irritating. I check the brakes often and they are good so I run it. Personnel on the gas pipe construction ROW hear me coming down those hills! They all yell at me to fix the brakes! LOL!!
View attachment 18090
thank you very much! good to hear real time reviews. especially hard tested work. I feel much better going without bump stops and the sway bar attached. I wont be riding ruff either. mainly cruising with the family and hunting with dogs. hardest ride it'll see is trying to stop the dogs and hitting some bumps and stuff.

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
No binding of the CVs at full droop. All is well. But my early measurements were conservative for gained lift. I'm at nearly 17" to the frame in the rear! These are new shocks and springs so they will still settle out some.

332eb379397a603799422ab883a43163
green02crew, if you don't me asking, whats the angle iron welded on the rear for?

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
green02crew, if you don't me asking, whats the angle iron welded on the rear for?

I bet he did that to strengthen the hitch. The hitch on those vehicles is not known to be very strong. I've had to weld one myself.

That's correct, broke the rear receiver off and that photo was right after it was welded, it has since been trimmed and painted. The angle iron and some other braces not easily seen in the photo are holding it on stronger than how it came. It is 1/8" steel which is thicker than the frame it is welded to by a small margin as the frame steel must be metric measurements.

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's done!!!!! got the rears on today and It looks good. ended up gaining 2.5" up front and 3.5" in back. doesn't sound like a lot but in person I was shocked how high it was. Pictures don't do it justice. You can really tell standing by it and climbing in. sitting in it feels way higher. I was really surprised lol. just drove down the street and back so not much of a ride test yet. can't wait to hit the woods and see how it does.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Awesome

J

jcash3485

May 21, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just measured the rear again after people being in the back and it settled 1/2" so 3" all together in the back. Does that sound about right?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!