trying to decide on a sxs

R

rjtaler1717

May 21, 2014
I am new to this forum. I hope to purchase a sxs in the near future. I currently own a 1998 Honda 450es (4000 miles) and a 2006 Yamaha 660 Grizzly (700 miles). As you can tell by the mileage, I don't ride much anymore. The old back has failed me and comfort is what I'm after. I don't need to go fast. I will use it for recreational riding and deer hunting. Most importantly, I want to haul the 2 new grandkids around. I do push snow and may climb a steep hill now and then. I live in Wva (that should say enough about hills) I use the low range in the Yamaha to push snow and climb tricky hills. Some reviews site the lack of a low range as a hindrances to the Path Finder. Will I have enough low end to push snow and climb the occasional hill with 4 aboard? Any comments would be appreciated. I was leaning towards the TeryX 4 because it has all the features my Grizzly has. But, I own a mint 98 Honda Foreman and drive a Ridgeline. Love those Hondas......

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
4000 miles of 450 can definitely take a toll on the old back. I know, i traded a similar mileage 2002 in on my Pioneer.

Definitely, a SxS you will not regret.
Now, i live in central Arizona at about 4800' in elevation. Some of the trails around here are near 10,000'. At that elevation, the Pioneer is a turd for anything but very casual riding ( as in NO snow either ). It just looses too much power to pull that tallish 1st gear. Others have had similar complaints in the same terrain.

At lower elevations, it does pretty much whatever I've ask of it, and i don't consider the lack of a low range a hindrance in those conditions unless you want to run big tires. If you never plan on going some place like Colorado and riding high elevations, go for it. That's as honest as i know how to be

Considering your desire to take the grand kids, you really only have 2 options: Teryx4 or Pioneer. Everything else is a big as a bus, and the new re-done Teryx seems to have belt issues, so in most respects, the Pioneer has this game to itself.

R

rjtaler1717

May 21, 2014
Thank you. I don't plan on ever riding the higher elevations but the dream elk hunt is something I've always wanted to do. If I do, I'll use an outfitter and they pretty much take you to your destination. I thought with the centrifical clutch Kawasaki uses solved the belt issues but I'll take your word for it. Never had any issues with the Yamaha belt, nor have any of my friends who own them. Then again, we use the low range anytime the riding situation could put strain on the machine. The TeryX is big bucks though!! My Foreman has never failed me except for the electric shift. I just put a foot shifter on it and if the es don't work that day, I use the foot shifter. Other than that, it just plain runs, not fast but it runs. I have nothing but good things to say about the Yamaha. I was really hoping Yamaha would have come out with a 4 seater. The Viking isn't for me. Thanks again.......just waiting on a business deal to come through and a way to convince the wife and its off to the dealership.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 12-13 Teryx4 seem to have no trouble, but whatever was changed on the 14 went backwards. Still centrifical, but heat is thought to be an issue. Hit the forums for the latest.

IMO, Yamaha has the best belt set-up by far. Keep in mind that Yamaha will show new models in mid June. Might as well wait and see what they do.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like you need the Pioneer 4. Living in VW, You will not have any issues. Plus the Grandkids will love riding in it. Check out some of the other topic's here. Everyone with kids love their P4.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P4 has been great when carrying passengers and now that I've got a rack I have room for 4 AND a cooler.

Yde2ymy6

R

rjtaler1717

May 21, 2014
Thanks to all. I am certain the Pioneer 4 will be my choice. Followed up on DG Riders recomendation of the T4 belt issues and its nightmarish. By the way, does this site have an alert to notify you of responses to questions. I can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone trying to remember if I posted something on different forums. Thanks to all......Russ

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello RJ, Welcome to the community.

Here is the info on how to get a notification when someone responds.
Look at the bottom left for "Subscribe topic" Click it. You will get a notification every time someone responds.
If you want to to auto subscribe to every post you make...
Update the [Notify me upon replies by default] at this link. ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post and mark it to [YES].

As for this topic.
I too think you will enjoy the Pioneer. I went from a Rincon to the Pioneer. First trip I was second thinking... Now I love it. Family loves it. especially all the kids around the farm.
Thanks.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
There is a reason why so many people that live very far away from civilization buy honda..

bbnelson

bbnelson

Dec 20, 2013
Welcome RJ....I'm a mirror of you...live in Maryland and can see WV from my cabin's deck. I bought a Honda Pioneer4 this winter and love it. Like you, I'm a senior citizen and don't ride fast...like to hunt and cruise the mountain with my bride. You won't regret buying a pioneer. One thing I love about the Pioneer is it's transmission....it gears down nicely when descending those Appalachian Mountains...you don't have to ride the brakes like you do in a Ranger.....also no belts to mess with. One thing I don't like is the room behind the steering wheel. I'm a big guy and getting in and out can be tricky. It would be nice if Honda made tilt steering. I wear size 14 shoe and when I'm wearing my hunting boots.....it's tough dragging them into the cab over the small threshold by the door.

I plowed snow all winter and it did an admiral job. Hauled two big gobblers off the mountain in the bed this spring. Looking forward to introducing a nice 8 point buck to my Pioneer, come fall.

I think you'll love your Pioneer if you should decide to go that direction. Good Luck!

advertisement
R

rjtaler1717

May 21, 2014
Thanks again guys. Thanks Hondasxs I checked the notification button. Will make things easy. Bbnelson, I spent a lot of days fishing for Waleye at Deep Creek lake. Love that area and used to drive that way when I'd go to Canaan Valley. Any riding areas near Deep Creek? Also, any retired police officers on the forums? I'm retired LE and am interested in any charity group rides or gatherings.

R

rjtaler1717

May 21, 2014
Drove my buddies Pioneer 4 this weekend. Walked away a little disappointed. Is the cab noise on all utvs that loud? I noticed the tranny changed gears differently when you gradually increased speed vs just quickly accelerating. I noticed it downshifted on a steeper incline, which I liked. My buddy complained about it seeming to rev out looking for another gear. I surmised that its designed to do what its designed to do. I don't need to go fast but wanted tbe lower end power, which it seemed to have. He uses it on gas lines and its a company vehicle. He just purchased a new TeryX 4. I will try it out this weekend. I liked the Pioneer but my biggest gripe when I bought my Grizzly in 05 was Honda didn't have a low range and diff lock back then. But I pushed a lot of snow with my 98 Foreman and it did fine without a low range. I dont have any doubts about the low end grunt of the Pioneer. I drove a Kawasaki atv with the 750 v twin. Man was it ever smooth. My John Deere lawn tractor has a Kawasaki v twin in it. Quiet and reliable. My buddy had one in his Deere and it still runs strong after 17 years. STILL UN-DECIDED!!!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
i dont think you will be happy with a kawasaki i sure wasnt i love my pioneer i havent turned a wrench on it other than service and valve adjustment i have rode hondas since late 70s they have never let me down every piece of equipment i own thats gasoline has a honda engine they are not the fastest or the most powerful but they run trouble free for years and years i am bias toward them cause they have never failed me

R

rjtaler1717

May 21, 2014
Yeah. I own a 98 Foreman. ES went out and I put a foot shifter on it. Other than that....no problems. I drive an 06 Ridgeline with 136k miles. Runs like a top. My son has a CRV and loves it. I started on a 1968 or 69 Honda trail 90 and bought a brand new 1974 Honda 250 Elsinore. Wish I still had them. I understand your loyalty to Honda....believe me.

D

dwt750r

Jun 2, 2014
I think if you r looking for a 4seater and for recreational use only. I would go Teryx4. Not to stirr the pot but for recreation use only and some snow plowing. Teryx hands down. Best comfort of any sxs in my opinion. I was in the same boat a few months back. Teryx or Honda and the Teryx4 won. Mainly because I needed it rec use only. Bf bought a pioneer and for work its great but when it comes play time there is a big difference. He will tell you this. I think its all about what your going to use it for work or play. U decide. Both are better than a popo and candy yam.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!