04 Rancher 350 shifting problem

HondaRancher

HondaRancher

Mar 8, 2016
Wellsboro,PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi, my rancher has been having shifting issues. First, when I upshift it will rev up then "jump" into gear if you don't wait a little.
The worst problem is after I run it for 10 or 15 min. it wont downshift. I can hear the shift motor go it just don't shift.
It has 8,000 mi. but it runs very nice.

Reactions: Jshell3
Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi, my rancher has been having shifting issues. First, when I upshift it will rev up then "jump" into gear if you don't wait a little.
The worst problem is after I run it for 10 or 15 min. it wont downshift. I can hear the shift motor go it just don't shift.
It has 8,000 mi. but it runs very nice.
I recently had this same problem and it was what I call the shifter plate it's inside the front engine cover and works kinda like a ratchet. It's not to bad to change its just hard to get to u have to take the front diff loose to get the driveshaft disconnected and I took the front rack and fenders off just for ease of access. Mine is an 2000 but I think your 04 is probably the same.

Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not a good picture but this is the broken one out of mine. Honda recalled this along time ago but I was told at the dealer it was just a campaign which means if it wasn't fixed by a certain time your on your own.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Hello.
Waking up an old thread...

April 22, 2017

I have a 350 Rancher. Manual foot shift

It just developed a Downshifting issue today. Similar to what is described above. From 5th down to 2nd, there's a second or two hesitation before the gear "catches" in the downshift. And a Jangle/Rattle/Clanging "loose" sound during the hesitation period.

Like a synchronizer is there is such a thing.

Going 1st ~ 5th under acceleration, it seems fine. And works properly.

What's the $$ fix?