JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I managed to do some voodoo and get the camera pointed back to the top. I can see valves. And the top of the nasty scar.

I wish I could have back away some, but your right @PistonHonda that 45• mirror is crap.

D

Deleted member 3748

I managed to do some voodoo and get the camera pointed back to the top. I can see valves. And the top of the nasty scar.

I wish I could have back away some, but your right @PistonHonda that 45• mirror is crap.
Actually, that's pretty good! I think your rings are gone. It looks like the piston is rubbing on the cylinder all the way to the top. I'm curious to see if a valve opens if you give it another crank turn. :) Sorry for assigning so much homework! :)

Reactions: Mudwing
D

Deleted member 3748

Oh, you didn't use the mirror?? You got the camera turned upside down?

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Actually, that's pretty good! I think your rings are gone. It looks like the piston is rubbing on the cylinder all the way to the top. I'm curious to see if a valve opens if you give it another crank turn. :) Sorry for assigning so much homework! :)
That pull rope makes the piston move hella quick. And for me to get the camera down, around, and back up requires me to feed a lot of camera cord into the cylinder.

So I’m concerned that working the pull cord, to see the valve movements, might spell the end of my bore scope. Crunch.

D

Deleted member 3748

That pull rope makes the piston move hella quick. And for me to get the camera down, around, and back up requires me to feed a lot of camera cord into the cylinder.

So I’m concerned that working the pull cord, to see the valve movements, might spell the end of my bore scope. Crunch.
Yeah, don't do it with the camera in there. :) Is there a cap in the valve cover that shows us if the valves are moving? That's all I'm wondering about.

D

Deleted member 3748

I was also thinking you give it a pull, then put the camera down there and see if a valve is open. Odds are better that a valve would be open than both closed.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It looks like you need to bore out the cylinder and put in a over sized Piston in.

Cam and rocker arm's unknown?

Reactions: JsheII3
H

HondaTech

That cylinder is Fubar!

I'd go ahead a tear it down, you'll probbaly find the piston and rings welded together.

FYI, I've never seen a 350 Rancher with a worn cam, theyll melt and scar the cylinder and stop running before he cam gets harmed since it's in the block, not he head.

You can also see part of the top of the piston is chipping, it's been super hot. Notice the lack of black combustion residue on the piston. This thing has been lean and was melting down.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yep, the cylinder does not look good. Almost looks like the wrist pin and or rod bearing might have seized/spun and was trying to rock the piston in the bore. Definitely going to have to pull the top end at least.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That cylinder is Fubar!

I'd go ahead a tear it down, you'll probbaly find the piston and rings welded together.

FYI, I've never seen a 350 Rancher with a worn cam, theyll melt and scar the cylinder and stop running before he cam gets harmed since it's in the block, not he head.

You can also see part of the top of the piston is chipping, it's been super hot. Notice the lack of black combustion residue on the piston. This thing has been lean and was melting down.
Well. It won’t run. That’s for sure...
So do y’all like my new bore camera? $40. We should thank Piston Honda for that.

I found a parts rancher w newly rebuilt motor (top end), but a bad rear end.

My dad and I plan on swapping the whole motor.
Asking $700 for the ATV.

That’s the (new) plan anyways.

077638D9 B68F 47EB 961A C8293BA48991 84863519 3012 400E 9574 5E4108C673E7 81E84C1F 9D44 49B6 94C9 FD2D51BF21B1

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Also, thank you, everyone who’s chimed in and offered advice.
Oddly enough, these type of set backs make for great education.

Like I’ve learned 3 quarts of oil (or lack of) can make a big difference to your wallet and your weekend.

Seriously, I meant what I said, post #1... I knew if I posted here, I’d get the answers. Y’all good folk.

D

Deleted member 3748

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ll have to start a new help thread about motor swap.

We are picking up the parts bike today.
If No surprises.

$700 is less than $1,500 for just the engine, alone. Plus, with parts bike, I got battery, another set of tires, some plastics, and various cables, carbs, and more! Only 15+ years old. Lol

D

Deleted member 3748

If No surprises.

$700 is less than $1,500 for just the engine, alone. Plus, with parts bike, I got battery, another set of tires, some plastics, and various cables, carbs, and more! Only 15+ years old. Lol
Looking forward to it!

Reactions: JsheII3 and Mudwing
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

If No surprises.

It will also be a good mechanical course for your boy's education.

Education is never cheap

Reactions: JsheII3 and Mudwing