Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Good thing is you can get a top end cheap on eBay . May be Chinese parts though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
26da1c73053ce2f61e9e82bc20fa553e47e08e2393e31ecce219db4fa20bb83fB4ce9d07c91e4a53cbc6d5b6bf04d663

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and JsheII3
H

HondaTech

Sorry but i didnt read the entire thread, but it seems like you've got fuel and spark, correct?

If the oil took 2 quarts to get it to just touch the stick then it's still almost a quart low. Are you screwing the stick in or just setting it in.

As long as the unit has spark, the stator (pulse generator) is not the issue. To correct a reply i did see, the stator is in oil and i've never heard of a "swelled" stator. I dont think i've ever replaced a 350 Rancher stator.

Most generally if a Rancher has been run low on oil, the cylinder and piston start melting together. Especially if the unit has been run down the road at a high rate of speed. They also were bad for dropping valve seats. I've never seen a cam go bad on a 350 either and I've had a guy run one until it broke the frame in half and the cylinder sleeve came loose from the cylinder.

I'd bet the top end is destroyed due to low oil, and the crank is most likely trashed as well, since the small end of the rod has lost oil pressure as well and tried to seize on the wrist pin. Have you pulled the oil filter to see if there is any metal in there?

Also dont waste money on ebay trash rebuld kits, they wont stay together long enough to burn the oil out of the cylinder.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So you’re telling me... that if I take a ball peen hammer and hit the sides of that engine enough times and in enough places, that this problem will go away?
I have a XR 250 that did the same thing, wasn't low on oil though, pulled it with my S x S pretty fast and it started right up, stuck valve.I put too much Sea Foam in the gas for winter storage and it got hot.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are you screwing the stick in or just setting it in.
Not threading. I had always heard “not to” when checking levels.

As long as the unit has spark, the stator (pulse generator) is not the issue.

Most generally if a Rancher has been run low on oil, the cylinder and piston start melting together. Especially if the unit has been run down the road at a high rate of speed.
Absolutely what happened. I mean, about the high rate of speed / low oil thing...
I'd bet the top end is destroyed due to low oil, and the crank is most likely trashed as well, since the small end of the rod has lost oil pressure as well and tried to seize on the wrist pin.
Read: Toast
Have you pulled the oil filter to see if there is any metal in there?
No. But I will.

@HondaTech if your suspicions hold up... what’s a repair like that gonna run at dealer?

H

HondaTech

If the crank is toast, you probbaly looking over $1500, easily. Without a crank, probably under $800.

Reactions: JsheII3
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Opinion:

I’ve found a company that rebuilds complete engines and transmissions for ATVs. ie... crate. The 350 rancher 4x4 is $1,500 and they pay return shipping on the core. Plus $100.

Would this be better than rebuilding?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Opinion:

I’ve found a company that rebuilds complete engines and transmissions for ATVs. ie... crate. The 350 rancher 4x4 is $1,500 and they pay return shipping on the core. Plus $100.

I sold 2 good 350 rancher 4x4s last month for $3600. I would just keep and eye out for 1 on craigslist or FB. Should be able to get a good 1 for 2k and keep yours for parts.

H

HondaTech

Opinion:

If they have some sort of warranty, that's sounds like a better deal.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Opinion:

Who is the rebuild company?
If it where me and I planned on it lasting for years I would have it rebuilt with factory Honda parts.
Most cheap parts are JUNK there just isn't a good way to cut costs with out sacrificing quality.

Reactions: JsheII3
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Who is the rebuild company?
If it where me and I planned on it lasting for years I would have it rebuilt with factory Honda parts.
Most cheap parts are JUNK there just isn't a good way to cut costs with out sacrificing quality.
PowerSports Nation, out of Nebraska... You know any thing about them? Click link, takes you to their page. They also pay return shipping on old engine + $100 core buyback.
PSN0087CPSN0088CPSN0089CPSN0090C

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Before you take it somewhere check the valve clearance and look at the cam, running it low on oil may have wiped out the cam.
If it wiped a cam lobe you'll have a lot of rocker to valve clearance.
I didn't mean to glaze over these comments. I was probably standing on my head or finding a band-aid.
I don't know what a Cam is or does.. I don't know how to where to check valve clearance... I did figure out what a crank shaft is, tho...

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

This bore scope is cool @PistonHonda thanks!

Some scaring, right?

Analysis welcomed. (hehe)

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Part 2. There appears to be a crack center of the piston, but that is a lie. I accidentally bumped it w my scope. It wasn’t there on the first video (above).

This might cause it to smoke... but isn’t seized up by no means.

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
D

Deleted member 3748

This bore scope is cool @PistonHonda thanks!

Some scaring, right?

Analysis welcomed. (hehe)
You're welcome!

Yeah, she's a little scuffed up. I've seen worse, but I've seen better too. The piston looks good! I wasn't able to get the angled mirror to show me what I wanted, but maybe you could get yours to work to show us the valves?

It takes some practice to navigate that camera, huh? Now that you have it, you'll be able to see drain clogs, and hidden bolts, all kinds of things!

D

Deleted member 3748

Part 2. There appears to be a crack center of the piston, but that is a lie. I accidentally bumped it w my scope. It wasn’t there on the first video (above).

This might cause it to smoke... but isn’t seized up by no means.
I don't see enough cylinders to rate this one. It looks "ok" but if I was to a point where I could see the cylinder walls (pre-borescope) I would replace it because I was already disassembled that far. I'd like to hear @HondaTech 's evaluation.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It came with some tools. Is one of those a mirror?

The reason the mark is spot of the piston is because I tried to get the scope to do a 180. (To no avail.)

D

Deleted member 3748

It came with some tools. Is one of those a mirror?

The reason the mark is spot of the piston is because I tried to get the scope to do a 180. (To no avail.)

:) I saw the mark. I didn't think it was a crack. I'm wondering if there were metal shavings sitting on the ring though.

Yes, it comes with tools. One of them is a 45 degree mirror. It did me no good. :(

Reactions: sharp