P1000 100 mile update

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, we are back from our trip to the farm.

I am liking it quite a bit better now. It still has judder going up the creek bed side but I am going to just ignore it until and if it starts to actually slip.

The shifting now is noticeably more quiet and less abrupt. Enough that my brother commented on it. I am hoping for a further improvement after the initial service.

We also got to do some incidental showing off to extended family. I had two uncles I saw sitting on the porch who are both big Honda fans and really got a kick out of it and when on our way to the farm we passed some sort of family members on their side by side. They were also extremely impressed with the Honda and also treated us to some very ripe and very fresh watermelon from their patch.

We also got to use the jump seats today. Wow, it was so easy to set up and change back and very secure. I was afraid they were going to be kind of dinky. Very innovative. My wife said that she actually prefers the ride in the back seat to the ride in the front seat.:eek: But she is really kind of small and skinny. She said the seat was actually more comfortable to her. So that is a win, I was afraid that she wouldn't like it at all.

That brings me to my only complaint for the day, or actually my wife's only complaint. After riding a while at very slow speeds in low gear, my wife asked if we could go back to the house because her feet were getting really, really hot. She said there was just too much heat coming off of the Not A Step hump. She made the comment that the real warning of NOT A STEP THIS IS A SPACE HEATER must not have fit on the hump.

The seat heat doesn't bother myself or her or my brother. But the Not A Step heat was to the point that my wife said her feet were very uncomfortable.

I know some people have put fans on their units. Did that help with the heat in the back seat floor boards?

Has anyone tried doing any type of insulation under the foot boards/Not A Step plastic to reduce the heat?

I assume it is coming through due to radiation from the header/exhaust manifold that is right in that general area. It was too dark though by the time we got home for me to mess with it much. I figured I would poke around in there and see if there was room to put in some Dynamat Hood liner tomorrow after I get the yard mowed again.

My wife asked me today when were we going to go on some "real" trails so she is ready to go again already as soon as I get it back from the dealer for the first service and hopefully I can come up with some heat reducing ideas.

:D

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am liking it quite a bit better now. It still has judder going up the creek bed side but I am going to just ignore it until and if it starts to actually slip.

The shifting now is noticeably more quiet and less abrupt. Enough that my brother commented on it. I am hoping for a further improvement after the initial service.

We also got to do some incidental showing off to extended family. I had two uncles I saw sitting on the porch who are both big Honda fans and really got a kick out of it and when on our way to the farm we passed some sort of family members on their side by side. They were also extremely impressed with the Honda and also treated us to some very ripe and very fresh watermelon from their patch.

We also got to use the jump seats today. Wow, it was so easy to set up and change back and very secure. I was afraid they were going to be kind of dinky. Very innovative. My wife said that she actually prefers the ride in the back seat to the ride in the front seat.:eek: But she is really kind of small and skinny. She said the seat was actually more comfortable to her. So that is a win, I was afraid that she wouldn't like it at all.

That brings me to my only complaint for the day, or actually my wife's only complaint. After riding a while at very slow speeds in low gear, my wife asked if we could go back to the house because her feet were getting really, really hot. She said there was just too much heat coming off of the Not A Step hump. She made the comment that the real warning of NOT A STEP THIS IS A SPACE HEATER must not have fit on the hump.

The seat heat doesn't bother myself or her or my brother. But the Not A Step heat was to the point that my wife said her feet were very uncomfortable.

I know some people have put fans on their units. Did that help with the heat in the back seat floor boards?

Has anyone tried doing any type of insulation under the foot boards/Not A Step plastic to reduce the heat?

I assume it is coming through due to radiation from the header/exhaust manifold that is right in that general area. It was too dark though by the time we got home for me to mess with it much. I figured I would poke around in there and see if there was room to put in some Dynamat Hood liner tomorrow after I get the yard mowed again.

My wife asked me today when were we going to go on some "real" trails so she is ready to go again already as soon as I get it back from the dealer for the first service and hopefully I can come up with some heat reducing ideas.

Good deal.
After my initial oil change at a tad over 100, I didn't notice too much, if any, difference.
However, I'm now a tad over 200 miles, and it keeps getting better. Today I added Royal Purple 75-140 to the diffs and Mobil 1 4T 10-40 to the sub trans and it DID make a difference. The gear whine is almost completely gone. I recommend, even though it isn't required, doing the diff and sub trans at some point in the near future as there is no placebo affect there. Real change in noise/whine. Good results.
Glad you were able to find some areas of approval as you used it more. Keep us updated.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good deal.
After my initial oil change at a tad over 100, I didn't notice too much, if any, difference.
However, I'm now a tad over 200 miles, and it keeps getting better. Today I added Royal Purple 75-140 to the diffs and Mobil 1 4T 10-40 to the sub trans and it DID make a difference. The gear whine is almost completely gone. I recommend, even though it isn't required, doing the diff and sub trans at some point in the near future as there is no placebo affect there. Real change in noise/whine. Good results.
Glad you were able to find some areas of approval as you used it more. Keep us updated.

Gear whine and shifting noise aren't really bothersome to me right now. We were able to hold conversations pretty much any time other than when we had to run down the road (wind/tire noise) or sometimes when I came off a steep drop and downshifted into first. Good information to know though.

It is growing on me a little more. ;)

All I need to do is figure out something to just take the edge off the heat, not eliminate it, just reduce it enough that my wife isn't feeling the need to hang her feet out of the side of the machine.

Reactions: joeymt33 and 500
CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad you are liking it better, the best part is that it only gets better, just got off of a 50+ mile ride and at just under 1000 miles, the noises just get quieter. Hopefully Honda will fix all of our heat issues.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You asked about insulation?

You shall recover an answer sir:

E2169f5b110474003b75e7ec6aad0d95

72f47678f91b96e02a4ff391ffb05abb

11cfdd2ccb9df5e2006936c0dcf60ce8

4e893b714225f83abca2eac72a329645

And yes, the fan helps A LOT! I'll try to remember to take some measurements in the rear seats to see how much it helps back there.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's just gonna keep getting quieter and shifting better. Btw, if it makes ya feel any better I just had my first flat with mine lol. It's an off-road vehicle, just part of the game. It's gonna happen.

Reactions: sharp
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Crow_Hunter did you perform your first required service?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
glad to hear your machine is growing on you.

it was around the 200-300 mile mark when my shifting became noticeably smoother. around 500-600 miles, I noticed the suspension feeling smoother.

the blower under the seat will blow the heat all the way out the rear of the vehicle. so yes, it significantly reduces floor heat in the rear.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It's just gonna keep getting quieter and shifting better. Btw, if it makes ya feel any better I just had my first flat with mine lol. It's an off-road vehicle, just part of the game. It's gonna happen.

Sorry that happened.

I expect to get flats. That is why I have a plug kit and a compressor in my glove box. I was just annoyed that I paid extra for what I thought were "better" quality tires and had a puncture on "easy" stuff that I never had problems one with my old cheap factor 2 ply bias tires on my Rincon and Recon.

What did you have a flat doing? Don't you have some very nice 8 ply radials?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@Crow_Hunter did you perform your first required service?

I am going to have the first one done at the dealer. While it is there I am going to let them check the brakes, I still feel they are really not doing as good of a job stopping as the other 2 test units I tried out and maybe even see if they will do the heat reduction modification while they have it. I have a bunch of stuff to do out of town next weekend so I am just going to take it up there and drop it off tomorrow or Tuesday and let them work it in when they have time. I won't be able to ride it for a while anyway.

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You asked about insulation?

You shall recover an answer sir:

View attachment 18497

View attachment 18498

View attachment 18499

View attachment 18500

And yes, the fan helps A LOT! I'll try to remember to take some measurements in the rear seats to see how much it helps back there.

My wife said the seats were fine it was the heat right next to her feet especially coming off the Not A Step hump that she found to be the problem. She actually put an old towel over it for a while and that helped a lot but eventually the heat soaked through that and started to bother her.

Glad to know there is room under there for some thermal barrier material. I was thinking that I might put some on the underside and then get some rubber floor mats and put a second layer of thermal reflective barrier on the bottom of that.

If that doesn't get it to the point that she is comfortable add in the fan(s). I think that she is actually leaning to wanting something removable because she thinks that she might actually rather have it for winter rides.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry that happened.

I expect to get flats. That is why I have a plug kit and a compressor in my glove box. I was just annoyed that I paid extra for what I thought were "better" quality tires and had a puncture on "easy" stuff that I never had problems one with my old cheap factor 2 ply bias tires on my Rincon and Recon.

What did you have a flat doing? Don't you have some very nice 8 ply radials?
My flat was the best kind to get...some creek gravel had gotten in the bead. One....easy to fix just deflate tire and remove gravel. Two.....I had a blast getting that creek gravel in there lol. On way to truck Thursday we slid into a huge ravine so I'm thinking the tire got pushed off the rim enough for gravel to get in there. (Okay Joey actually thought of that so he get the credit lol).

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife said the seats were fine it was the heat right next to her feet especially coming off the Not A Step hump that she found to be the problem. She actually put an old towel over it for a while and that helped a lot but eventually the heat soaked through that and started to bother her.

Glad to know there is room under there for some thermal barrier material. I was thinking that I might put some on the underside and then get some rubber floor mats and put a second layer of thermal reflective barrier on the bottom of that.

If that doesn't get it to the point that she is comfortable add in the fan(s). I think that she is actually leaning to wanting something removable because she thinks that she might actually rather have it for winter rides.
You definitely want it for winter rides. At freezing point all wife and I wear is long sleeves and a coat. And we stay toasty.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
For slow driving the right rear seat foot well will get hot and passengers should at least wear work boots. The insulation will help a lot and I like the blower fan under the seat blowing back over the exhaust header for slow speed driving. Above about 20 mph its not nearly as bad.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For slow driving the right rear seat foot well will get hot and passengers should at least wear work boots. The insulation will help a lot and I like the blower fan under the seat blowing back over the exhaust header for slow speed driving. Above about 20 mph its not nearly as bad.

She was in the RH seat AND she was wearing flip-flops.

Next time we go out, I will get her to ride in the LH side. I think she picked that one so that I could talk to her easier. I'll be sure to let her know that side is worse for the heat.

Does the fan under the seat add any heat to the back seat riders or is it pretty much deflected down by the body cladding?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The fan moves the heat out back under the bed. With the bed up you can see the header more to the right side. If you only need to use one rear seat the left side is best in the summer and right side in the winter.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I'm glad you're liking it a little better at least. I still feel the longer you play with it the more you'll like it. It gets better all the time

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm glad you're liking it a little better at least. I still feel the longer you play with it the more you'll like it. It gets better all the time

As long as the clutch judder doesn't manifest into a full on clutch replacement, I like it quite a bit.:D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As long as the clutch judder doesn't manifest into a full on clutch replacement, I like it quite a bit.:D
I don't think it will Crow. Mine did that a slight bit new better now. You'll get use to the feel

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!