P1000m5 1000-5 Rear Door Inside Storage Modification

esvolcom08

esvolcom08

May 2, 2019
STL
I’m glad it worked out for you. It’s such a rewarding modification and something these vehicles should have come with.

One thing I would say that’s a little bit different is instead of drilling out the plastic behind the metal inserts would be to put the stud in a drill and run it in and let it punch through the plastic and the plastic will get threaded and adds some tension to help retain the studs from self adjusting in or out. I guess you could use some blue Loctite as well but the way I did mine was I first tried pushing the stud through and it punched through rather easily.

I used a much smaller drill bit to drill through. I didn’t want to scuff the threads or worst case pull them out of the plastic. I didn’t know how well they were in and didn’t want to find out. Lol. I’ll definitely mention it above though. Thanks for literally pioneering this mod!

Last edited:
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m glad it worked out for you. It’s such a rewarding modification and something these vehicles should have come with.

One thing I would say that’s a little bit different is instead of drilling out the plastic behind the metal inserts would be to put the stud in a drill and run it in and let it punch through the plastic and the plastic will get threaded and adds some tension to help retain the studs from self adjusting in or out. I guess you could use some blue Loctite as well but the way I did mine was I first tried pushing the stud through and it punched through rather easily.

This is what I did and it worked slick. Just went slowly and there was no problem. Those billet pins are great.
I also studded all 6 on both doors. Couldn't find any reason (for my use) to hinge it. Pops off in less than 6 seconds and back on in less than 3 seconds. Everything lined up with no tweaking.
Thanks to all who posted in this thread. Excellent wealth of info.

E

Ed_Dyer

Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2018
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got some time home and finished this project. Well, almost finished. Still waiting on the thumb screws. I’ll do 2-3 per door and that should be enough.

Passenger side panel. If someone cared they could color the rivets.
View attachment 76050

The drip ledge worked better than I expected for vertically-inclined fluids. It's now been in the rain several times. Also seemed to function during the hose-downs. Pressure washer is a different story, and so far untested, but all probably depends on the angle of attack.
Whatever gets over the top of the panel (at low speed) tends to run down the inside of the hinged panel instead of running down the blow-molded storage area. The hinge has mud on it (most likely came in thru the front), but the storage contents stayed clean and dry.

I increased the bend in the threshhold a bit where the panel sets out the furthest, in this case the corner above the double E in Pioneer, but this varies with each install.
The longer strip at the lower part of the door top was cut in width by about a quarter inch, and the adjacent angled strip was tapered to match at the miter joint.
I'm a "form follows function" guy, so if it works, it looks good to me.
DripLedge 2701s DripLedge 2705s

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did my rear door storage a little different. I cut the hole opening on the inside of the door and used a heavy vinyl cover with snaps. I installed the snaps on the door with #6 bolts with nylock nuts. I first cut a small hole to my hand in and get the snaps in place, then I enlarged the hole out tot he snaps. I forgot to take a new photo with the larger hole but it ends up being about 6 inches square. $30 to have both door vinyls made. This could be done with all levels of pioneers.IMG 1720 IMG 1722

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
All done with both sides. Just waiting on some finder rivits to show up. I had some 3M rubber door seal I bought for an old RV I had and trimmed out the hole to try and minimize crud form getting in. Looks like it seals decent. Time will tell eah?View attachment 92358 View attachment 92359

Hey, do you have a parts list or a link to what I need by any chance? I'm in the same boat, bought a base model and added panels myself.

Reactions: Russ989 and BWAF
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey, do you have a parts list or a link to what I need by any chance? I'm in the same boat, bought a base model and added panels myself.
Funlove 32Ft Universal Car Weather Stripping Self Adhesive Automotive Door Rubber Weather Draft Seal Strip for Car Window Door Engine Cover Noise Insulation (B Shape Black,10M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRR7MTM/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Here’s the deal. What else you need? Been awhile since I did this mod might take me a bit to dig up the other links

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Funlove 32Ft Universal Car Weather Stripping Self Adhesive Automotive Door Rubber Weather Draft Seal Strip for Car Window Door Engine Cover Noise Insulation (B Shape Black,10M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRR7MTM/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Here’s the deal. What else you need? Been awhile since I did this mod might take me a bit to dig up the other links

Mostly interested in the fasteners used, or are they the same as those with the factory panels use? For some reason I was thinking I need something different?

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What's different about these versus the ones used on the Deluxe models? I need to order some spares and the link I had originally used is dead now.
There the same. You have to just use two nuts as to just screwing it into the built in bracket that comes with a deluxe. The black plugs that came with the panels when you don’t have a Deluxe will be removed and u will use the holes those came out of and use a nut on the inside and a nut on the outside to make your adjustment. Hope that answers your question?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What's different about these versus the ones used on the Deluxe models? I need to order some spares and the link I had originally used is dead now.
You can see the top pic, I had to reverse the nut so your outer sunk to the body. The bottom pic is the inside with the other nut used as a jam nut to keep things sucurred
13B2FEC7 3DD1 413A BE07 5834E56B376D

M

MTBikeMcCoy

Nov 3, 2019
Sandpoint, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your R&D on this! The only thing I can contribute is that I didn't like how the posts didn't line up super smooth. I took a torch and gently melted the plastic, then massaged all the bases to line up. Now my cover snaps in like a DREAM! Once everything is all heated up and soft, snap the cover on and let it cool. Do not rush this... I even pushed a few posts deeper into the door to make the cover fit more flush. Now it's just a snap-snap-snap-snap with no struggles.

IMG 6543 IMG 6545 IMG 6546

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank you all for your R&D on this! The only thing I can contribute is that I didn't like how the posts didn't line up super smooth. I took a torch and gently melted the plastic, then massaged all the bases to line up. Now my cover snaps in like a DREAM! Once everything is all heated up and soft, snap the cover on and let it cool. Do not rush this... I even pushed a few posts deeper into the door to make the cover fit more flush. Now it's just a snap-snap-snap-snap with no struggles.

View attachment 168335 View attachment 168336 View attachment 168337

I also didn’t like how they lined up but the studs will bend fairly easily using a pair of pliers. I’m sure melting the plastic worked just as good.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry bud been busy getting my RV ready for the Colorado trip.
Yes there different. They come from the slow boat and the hit u with shipping charges.

TANSKY -1" Universal Aluminum Quick Latch Push Button Billet Hood Pins Lock Clip For VW Golf TK-DP016M-25

Just an FYI,
So I ordered 12 or so, cheap enough at a buck 80 each.
Shipping is the rub. I paid 26 bucks for 3 to 7 day thinking it's about the same cost as Azon with guaranteed shipping. ...day 14, no order delivered and several meaningless emails about paying the tariff and tax if you charge friend..avoid delaysend damage claim DSL.
I should have been wiser...

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!