1000-5 w/ Tracks

M

Muskielaw

Dec 7, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am new to this forum and new to the side by side world. I just purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 that came with tracks. I have read about the transmissions on these and that if you are running in 4 wheel drive you should be in low gear unless you are running on a hard level surface. What about when I have the tracks on the machine? Should I run in 4 Low all the time or at least when I am in deep snow? Thanks for any help!

Muskielaw

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't driven with tracks before, but I imagine I'd run in low more often with them.

The key is just getting used to your machine and feeling how the engine and tranny are working. I do not run around in low on everything but hard level surfaces - too many RPMs, too much busy work shifting.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Basically, you never want to get into anything where you force the clutches to slip, and you don't want the engine lugging way too low.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of finding the comfort zone.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am new to this forum and new to the side by side world. I just purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 that came with tracks. I have read about the transmissions on these and that if you are running in 4 wheel drive you should be in low gear unless you are running on a hard level surface. What about when I have the tracks on the machine? Should I run in 4 Low all the time or at least when I am in deep snow? Thanks for any help!

Muskielaw
Welcome from Miiiichigan!

Since your new, you didnt know the first and formost rule of new joinees…. Its called
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! ;)

As for your machine, you have a 16’ how many miles you got on er? Also you want to check and make sure you have the clutch update. Because your running tracks your running higher rpms and shifting differently the stock 16-17 clutch could cause a problem. Heres a link as how to check and see.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I have tracks on my 17 1000. You’ll find with the tracks on it is geared a lot lower. I can’t remember the exact ratio but it’s something like 20%. I run in high on a packed trail or packed snow. In deep fresh snow I use low at times. For me the best thing is using manual mode. You can keep it in the sweet rpm spot. 0df0a32e42d4e5e03fdc64ed45943d24
575908bc0be54b8c6702cfbeb97682f3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Muskielaw

Dec 7, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys. The machine only has 430 miles on it as it hadn't been used for last two years. I called my local dealer to see if the Clutch Update was done. He indicated the vehicle history showed that a "Clutch Assembly" was done but he didn't know if that was considered a "clutch update" or not. He did indicate that all service bulletins had been done on the machine. I will check the clutch cover when I get home but do you think the the " Clutch Assembly" is the update you are referring too? Thanks Guys!

Elkhunter, that is my exact machine other than a year older. I am biased but that nice looking:)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!