P1000 1000 Honda pioneer wheel bearings.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Theres probably something to that. I've gotten so used to just using my best judgment that it don't get the torque wrench out often. I too used an impact or breaker bar to put the axel nut on.
LOL, well its worth a thought at the very least!

Reactions: Ohio4x4
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I learned something too, though I'm a fastidious user of torque wrenches as I work on my aircraft too - and you can't just pull over to fix something.

What I learned is about over-greasing bearings, causing grease to churn with resulting heat friction and wear. I did know some greases are not compatible with others, so cleaned the bearings grease free, before re-greasing, when in doubt.

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and Lady01
K

Kilpy

Aug 4, 2018
Fort Wayne, IN
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What I was told about not using gasoline to clean bearings, was that gasoline removed the oil film from the bearings, and seemed to be an impediment to, or resisted the replacement of that oil film on the bearings, thus shortening their life... The recommended cleaners at that time, (early 60s), were kerosene, or diesel fuel. Farm equipment bearings were the ones being discussed.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Theres probably something to that. I've gotten so used to just using my best judgment that it don't get the torque wrench out often. I too used an impact or breaker bar to put the axel nut on.
What?

You mean I shouldn’t use the 4’ breaker bar with a 10’ cheater pipe on it to install?

It’s what I used to remove it!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also... never EVER allow the bearing to spin (at all) while using compressed air to blow out old grease and solvent.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!