15 inch 6+1 offset

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So, who makes a non bead lock 15 inch wheel with a 6+1 offset? I put the tusk terabites on sti hd9 wheels just for the looks and gave away the factory wheels. Cannot stop the bead lock leaks. Have worked on them myself as well as a local tire shop. Yes, they have been dunked repeatedly and the leaks are in the bead locks. This isn't a pound a week, it's two go flat overnight and two loose 3-4lbs overnight. Like the tires other than that. Need to stay at this offset to fit in the enclosed trailer with all the other junk i seem to have to take along!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, who makes a non bead lock 15 inch wheel with a 6+1 offset? I put the tusk terabites on sti hd9 wheels just for the looks and gave away the factory wheels. Cannot stop the bead lock leaks. Have worked on them myself as well as a local tire shop. Yes, they have been dunked repeatedly and the leaks are in the bead locks. This isn't a pound a week, it's two go flat overnight and two loose 3-4lbs overnight. Like the tires other than that. Need to stay at this offset to fit in the enclosed trailer with all the other junk i seem to have to take along!
Have you tried bead sealer ?
Also are you following the installation method for beadlocks or are you hitting it clockwise with an impact?

not trying to convince you to go beadlock but use what you’ve already got.

You HAVE to get the bead in place correctly or there will be a spot where there is extra bead in a lump it’s best to tighten it down hand tight (no ratchet) in a 4-point pattern then split the difference to fill in the remaining bolt holes. Then hit that a little tighter with a ratchet (most have torque specs included for this)

i have always had success with airing them to 25psi, hearing the leaks, and using a ratchet to seal them.

The tire shop MAY have messed up the bead? Use the bead sealer if the first method doesn’t work while repeating it.

I had two beadlocks out of eight on dual beadlocks that never would seal correct. I hit those two with slime and it fixed them.

I have a set now that has been sitting in my garage since early February or March and they haven’t lost any air and don’t have bead sealer or slime. I was very careful getting them on not to cut the bead with tools or the wheel itself.

Reactions: Moab_Marty
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also are you following the installation method for beadlocks or are you hitting it clockwise with an impact?

You HAVE to get the bead in place correctly or there will be a spot where there is extra bead in a lump it’s best to tighten it down hand tight (no ratchet) in a 4-point pattern then split the difference to fill in the remaining bolt holes. Then hit that a little tighter with a ratchet (most have torque specs included for this)

i have always had success with airing them to 25psi, hearing the leaks, and using a ratchet to seal them.

The tire shop MAY have messed up the bead? Use the bead sealer if the first method doesn’t work while repeating it.

I had two beadlocks out of eight on dual beadlocks that never would seal correct. I hit those two with slime and it fixed them.

I have a set now that has been sitting in my garage since early February or March and they haven’t lost any air and don’t have bead sealer or slime. I was very careful getting them on not to cut the bead with tools or the wheel itself.
I'm about to buy the HD9 wheels for my Talon and know nothing about beadlocks other than the idea behind them. Can I mount my own tires 'easily' with beadlocks (does one bead remove)? Someone suggested RTV as a bead sealer but I'm concerned about it skimming over before I can get the bead tightened - is there a 'real' bead sealer that won't skim over before tightened? Redundant question - will the bead sealer pretty much solve the 'beadlock leak' ?

fwiw: although I'm competent mechanically, I'm north of 70 and don't enjoy constant maintenance anymore, I just wanna ride (why I bought a Honda). A perpetually leaking set of wheels will eventually 'catch me out' and I'd like for that to NOT happen. (yes, I carry a pump)

Reactions: IDIOT
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
System 3 SB-4
These are what I just bought for my Talon. 6+1 offset.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Xtra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 32 oz Black w/Brush Top Can PRO Quart Amazon.com: Xtra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 32 oz Black w/Brush Top Can PRO Quart: Industrial & Scientific

Yes you can install them yourself with a good air compressor and a 5gallon bucket.

get the tire on the wheel and the beadlock seater the place the whole thing on the 5gallon bucket beadlock up so you can force the tire down to the bead then seat the bead using the air compressor. A little dish soapmixed with water will help it slide on and seat with a loud pop.

Reactions: CID and Razorback
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

All good points here. Yes, i have used bead sealer. No, i am not going to use silicone, liquid nails, jb weld etc to try to make a bad fit up work. Yes, i understand diametrically opposite tightening by hand only. When i had the tires off the wheels i installed the rings and measured the grooves and given that they were all the same i dont suspect the wheels. The tires were reinstalled on different wheels with the opposite bead ring presented to the bead lock. The rate of leakage followed the tire, not the wheel. I don't know how to accurately measure the bead ring of the tires, so i am condemning them by default

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All good points here. Yes, i have used bead sealer. No, i am not going to use silicone, liquid nails, jb weld etc to try to make a bad fit up work. Yes, i understand diametrically opposite tightening by hand only. When i had the tires off the wheels i installed the rings and measured the grooves and given that they were all the same i dont suspect the wheels. The tires were reinstalled on different wheels with the opposite bead ring presented to the bead lock. The rate of leakage followed the tire, not the wheel. I don't know how to accurately measure the bead ring of the tires, so i am condemning them by default

like I said I had that problem and I slimed them as a LAST resort to solve it and they never leaked down after that.

Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the same tires on System 3 SB4 beadlocks. Haven't had a leak in 5 months.

Screenshot 20200717 132309 Amazon Shopping

Reactions: Landman
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
like I said I had that problem and I slimed them as a LAST resort to solve it and they never leaked down after that.
I never had beadlocks but I have had great success with slime over a variety of tire/wheel combinations, all of them being used off-road. Almost all were slow leaks.

Reactions: Moab_Marty and GWH
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Xtra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 32 oz Black w/Brush Top Can PRO Quart Amazon.com: Xtra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 32 oz Black w/Brush Top Can PRO Quart: Industrial & Scientific

Yes you can install them yourself with a good air compressor and a 5gallon bucket.

get the tire on the wheel and the beadlock seater the place the whole thing on the 5gallon bucket beadlock up so you can force the tire down to the bead then seat the bead using the air compressor. A little dish soapmixed with water will help it slide on and seat with a loud pop.

a great product for tire lube is armor all.
(slides on nice and leaves it pretty) :)

• Haha
Reactions: ohanacreek
H

HondaTech

I've installed several System3 Beadlock wheels and never had any leak complaints so far.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've installed several System3 Beadlock wheels and never had any leak complaints so far.
The draw to the STI HD9 wheels is that the 6+1 fronts and 4+3 rears result in a fairly equal F/R track width on our Talons. Do you know if System 3 offer a similar set-up?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the same problem and it gets worse (and exponentially more annoying) as time goes on. It is not the wheels, it is the TerraBites. The inside of the bead is so roughly molded, they won't seal properly on beadlocks, even with all the bead sealer in the world. I also didn't want to mess with silicone and all the other "suggestions". You are not the first or last person that will have problems with TerraBites on beadlocks.

Never could solve it so I put tubes in mine for now. Most likely regret this move but it has worked out fine for now, time will tell.

The closest non-beadlock wheels to the 50 mm offset of the HD-9 are...
System 3 ST-3 at 40 mm.
Some of the STI HD-10 at 40 mm.

Those will make you 20 mm (about 3/4') wider overall over the HD-9's

Reactions: CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
The draw to the STI HD9 wheels is that the 6+1 fronts and 4+3 rears result in a fairly equal F/R track width on our Talons. Do you know if System 3 offer a similar set-up?
I just installed system 3 6-1 fronts and 4-3 rears with 9.5” wide tires.

all the math and guessing goes out the window because after install my machine is exactly 64” wide front and rear.

measured outside of lug to outside of lug.

drove it around for 5 minutes and coasted to a stpo before measuring.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the same problem and it gets worse (and exponentially more annoying) as time goes on. It is not the wheels, it is the TerraBites. The inside of the bead is so roughly molded, they won't seal properly on beadlocks, even with all the bead sealer in the world. I also didn't want to mess with silicone and all the other "suggestions". You are not the first or last person that will have problems with TerraBites on beadlocks.

Never could solve it so I put tubes in mine for now. Most likely regret this move but it has worked out fine for now, time will tell.

System 3 ST-3 at 40 mm.

This is what i believe on the tires, and the answers i was looking for on wheels. The terrabites are about 50% tread left. I think i will replace them ( bfg km3 ), sell the terrabites for whatever i can get and move on. Thanks

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

System 3 ST-3 at 40 mm.

I just installed system 3 6-1 fronts and 4-3 rears with 9.5” wide tires.

all the math and guessing goes out the window because after install my machine is exactly 64” wide front and rear.

measured outside of lug to outside of lug.

drove it around for 5 minutes and coasted to a stpo before measuring.
Thank you, gentlemen - that's a treasure of information. I believe that beadlocks are necessary for my intended use, at 12 pounds with stock tires, I'm constantly aware of loading the outside of the tires and I would like to be under 10 pounds, for both traction and comfort. 30" TerraBites were the tire tire I had intended on buying - light(ish), versatile, low cost, long life. :( Oh well, back to the tire threads. :oops:

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Thank you, gentlemen - that's a treasure of information. I believe that beadlocks are necessary for my intended use, at 12 pounds with stock tires, I'm constantly aware of loading the outside of the tires and I would like to be under 10 pounds, for both traction and comfort. 30" TerraBites were the tire tire I had intended on buying - light(ish), versatile, low cost, long life. :( Oh well, back to the tire threads. :oops:

check out the new system 3 XTR370

like a terriblebite but tough and high quality.

lots of guys running them in AK with good reports.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
check out the new system 3 XTR370

like a terriblebite but tough and high quality.

lots of guys running them in AK with good reports.

Bummer, they don't have a 30x10-15.

30 because I have about an inch before the top hits the garage door, not willing to air down every time I put it in the garage (where it lives). 14" rims have possible clearance issues with suspension parts.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Bummer, they don't have a 30x10-15.

30 because I have about an inch before the top hits the garage door, not willing to air down every time I put it in the garage )where it lives). 14" rims have possible clearance issues with suspension parts.
They are coming!!!...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!