BOX1

15 x 10 x 30 on stock rims?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any issue putting 15 x 10 x 30 tires on the front rims?
Thanks,
Phil

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nope. But Im changing my rims soon for same size beadlocks all the way around. Cuz they look slightly goofy with the narrow front wheel and wider rear Wheel unless your putting 4 fronts on. If I was doing that, id do 4 rears cuz they look better on those. U will need some spacers either way tho
B675CE85 8B6F 4162 92FD 2C75C3DC163B
773DBB5C 64ED 453F 8EEB B0A89C923DC3

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
Question. When you are putting 30x10r15 tires on the stock wheels, is this widening things at all? Trail regulations allow for up to 65 inches measured from sidewall to sidewall, which should be good to go on stock tires. If the 30 inch tires widen this, it would potentially be a problem.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah. Basically what im Having. New wheels are in the shipping rout as we speak
I have a buddy with a 2021 Yamaha YXZ that has to place 1" spacers on his front when he rotates the rear wheels to the front to avoid rubbing. He did the same on his 2017 YXZ...... Like others, I abandoned the stock wheels (2021 Talon R) and went with 5:2 offset all the way around so I can rotate as desired without concern of rubbing. Yes, I placed 1.5" spacers on the rear to to align the wheel-tracks.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Question. When you are putting 30x10r15 tires on the stock wheels, is this widening things at all? Trail regulations allow for up to 65 inches measured from sidewall to sidewall, which should be good to go on stock tires. If the 30 inch tires widen this, it would potentially be a problem.
Yes, it would widen the front, not the back. The stock tires are 28 x 9 x 15. Thus you would be going 1" wider. We don't have width trail restrictions where I ride, so it's not a problem.

Sparks

Sparks

Jan 11, 2021
Northern Wiscosnin
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
In Wisconsin the 65" width is measured laterally between the outermost wheel rim on each side of the vehicle, exclusive of tires, mirrors, and accessories that are not essential to the vehicle's basic operation.

Widower

Widower

Jan 18, 2021
Southern Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I have lots respect for Hondas engineering. Thinking they had reasons for tire and wheel combo they used. Looks are important and bigger is better right
I’m still undecided. Hwy legal 8 ply’s are prob in my future. Maybe the BFG that seems popular

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have lots respect for Hondas engineering. Thinking they had reasons for tire and wheel combo they used. Looks are important and bigger is better right
I’m still undecided. Hwy legal 8 ply’s are prob in my future. Maybe the BFG that seems popular
Honda and others that use wider tires and different rims/offsets in the rear do it for a very good reason.

The Talon, Pioneer, R-Max and some other with this configuration get the benefit of a narrower rear track width for better high speed cornering and an even overall width for better stability in off-camber situations. It is really the best of both worlds and we all screw that up by putting the same tires/wheels all the way around.

When you put the same tires and same offset wheels front and back, you maintain the enhanced high speed cornering because of the narrower rear track width but you give up some off-camber stability. If you add spacers to the rear to even up the overall width, you gain off-camber stability but lose some high speed cornering.

Ideally (if they existed) the Talon would do great with stock rims with 32X9X15 fronts and 32X11X15 rears but those tires don't exist.

Reactions: BobFarrell
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda and others that use wider tires and different rims/offsets in the rear do it for a very good reason.

The Talon, Pioneer, R-Max and some other with this configuration get the benefit of a narrower rear track width for better high speed cornering and an even overall width for better stability in off-camber situations. It is really the best of both worlds and we all screw that up by putting the same tires/wheels all the way around.

When you put the same tires and same offset wheels front and back, you maintain the enhanced high speed cornering because of the narrower rear track width but you give up some off-camber stability. If you add spacers to the rear to even up the overall width, you gain off-camber stability but lose some high speed cornering.

Ideally (if they existed) the Talon would do great with stock rims with 32X9X15 fronts and 32X11X15 rears but those tires don't exist.
How does 6 + 1 front and 5 + 2 rear wheels equate into the mathematical equation? 7 Inch rim width on all four. Just trying to learn?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
How does 6 + 1 front and 5 + 2 rear wheels equate into the mathematical equation? 7 Inch rim width on all four. Just trying to learn?
6+1 and 5+2 means nothing to me. The manufacturers are not consistent and I have seen 6+1 mean anything from a +40 to +50mm offset and a 5+2 mean anything from a +10 to +40mm offset. Here is a perfect example, there are all STI 5+2 wheels and there is a 30mm (over 1") difference in them. That means almost a 2.5" overall difference in width depending on which "5+2" wheel you select.

The only way to properly and accurately calculate anything is with real offset numbers. Assuming you mean +50mm offset on the front and +30 offset in the rear, a Talon will be about 1.7" narrower in the rear. I have never found a wheel combo that makes a Talon even, front to back.

I do not know what any of this does on the Pioneer.

• Wow
Reactions: PhilCod and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
6+1 and 5+2 means nothing to me. The manufacturers are not consistent and I have seen 6+1 mean anything from a +40 to +50mm offset and a 5+2 mean anything from a +10 to +40mm offset. Here is a perfect example, there are all STI 5+2 wheels and there is a 30mm (over 1") difference in them. That means almost a 2.5" overall difference in width depending on which "5+2" wheel you select.
View attachment 329517

The only way to properly and accurately calculate anything is with real offset numbers. Assuming you mean +50mm offset on the front and +30 offset in the rear, a Talon will be about 1.7" narrower in the rear. I have never found a wheel combo that makes a Talon even, front to back.

I do not know what any of this does on the Pioneer.
Check with Race Line wheels. 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 2 inch = 50.8 mm. My out side width on the tires is the same front and rear and run the same width tires, but that's on a P1. I didn't figure this out, I called Race Line and they told me what to order, running very same width front and rear very close to stock width, maybe a hair wider.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check with Race Line wheels.
Not sure what you mean by that so I went to raceline.com and thank god, they do not use X+Y USELESS GARBAGE anymore (they finally wised up), they use real offset numbers so I am not sure what you are getting after.

6+1, 5+2, 4+3, etc are all completely useless/meaningless. Follow your favorite wheel company and STOP using that outdated X+Y offset terminology.

Here is their new catalog, not a X+Y offset to be found. Now let's hope the other follow and we can do away with that meaningless nonsense once and for all!

Reactions: FOOTS and PhilCod
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!