P500 2 inches means 1 inch... tires.

J

Jshell3

So the 24" stock tires are gone, gone.
However, I was smart enough to take a couple measurements before I traded them away.

The New Tires are 26".

I gained 1" ground clearance adding 2" taller tires. Which makes sense NOW that I've thought about it.
If a tire is 2" taller, then it's 1" taller on each side (top and bottom) from center of rim.
And only the "center to ground" inch matters for ground clearance... duh?

But I get the full 2" benefit when it comes to pulling and top speed (and lessening the neck jerk torque of shifting from "N" into "L")

Anyways, the pictures...

IMG 2556 IMG 2551 IMG 2558 IMG 2559 IMG 2540 IMG 2567

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

What did you get?
Carlisle PXT's. They are stock tires from a 900 bike... factory pulls mounted on Pioneer Stock rims.
From what I can tell in my limited (Google) research, these are the bias version, not radial...

I haven't had much of a chance to ride them.

J

JTW

Carlisle PXT's. They are stock tires from a 900 bike... factory pulls mounted on Pioneer Stock rims.
From what I can tell in my limited (Google) research, they are the bias version, not radial...

I haven't had a chance much to ride on them, yet.
Cool.. I'm betting you love the 26's!!

J

JTW

I know it doesn't seem like much.. but our buddy had stock tires on his bike for our brimstone ride and it was amazing how much more he bottomed out and hit the skids.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I'm guessing these are going to be much better than stock 24's, for sure.

I did do a quick test ride, right after I put them on. I could tell it changed the characteristics of the power train, right away.

P500 was made for 26"... why they don't come stock, I don't know...o_O
I guess the whole "tippy" thingy. Liability.

J

Jshell3

Which leads me to my next question...

So 2" bigger tires means 1" only taller, and if I were to buy a spacers, to compensate for gaining height... should I go 1" spacers?! Per side, that equals 2" wider...
Or go 2" spacers all the way around?

J

JTW

So if 2" bigger tires means 1" taller, If I were to buy a spacers, to compensate for gaining height... should I go 1" spacers?! Per side, that equals 2" wider...
One inch per side.. in my case with 5+2 wheels.. if you plan on running the stock wheels forever then probably 2 inch spacers.. you're going to be 54 inches or better. Guess it depends on the importance of being skinny to you?? Lol

J

JTW

I'm guessing they are going to be much better than stock24's, for sure.

I did do a quick test ride, right after I put them on. I could tell it changed the characteristics of the power train, right away.

P500 was made for 26"... why they don't come stock, I don't know...
I guess the whole "tippy" thingy. Liability.
Yup.. I'd say liability. It's ridiculous what our society has become!

advertisement
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
When I first went to the 26" Bighorn 2.0 on factory rims I took some measurements, and gained almost 2" in height. That probably dropped a little when I adjusted the air pressure, but never did a re-measure and can't find the original data. Anyway, not all tires are exactly at their rated height.

26" Big Horn 2.0 on factory OEM wheels

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar and Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

So 2" bigger tires means 1" only taller, and if I were to buy a spacers, to compensate for gaining height... should I go 1" spacers?! Per side, that equals 2" wider...
Offset tires to gain width is preferred to spacers as a matter of stress and wear.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Offset tires to gain width is preferred to spacers as a matter of stress and wear.

I know this has been hashed around many of time, but I cannot come up with any reasonable explanation of why that would be. If the offset is the same, all the geometry is the same, so stress should not be any different. I have had the discussion with some MEs at work, and from the high level they couldn't see how it could be different, either. I do agree that the more offset the more stress. How much additional stress given the 1-2" offsets usually discussed here, don't know, but haven't seen any posts about changing out worn wheel bearings or ball joints yet.

PS: Sorry, I wasn't sure the horse was quite dead yet. :D

Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I know this has been hashed around many of time, but I cannot come up with any reasonable explanation of why that would be. If the offset is the same, all the geometry is the same, so stress should not be any different. I have had the discussion with some MEs at work, and from the high level they couldn't see how it could be different, either. I do agree that the more offset the more stress. How much additional stress given the 1-2" offsets usually discussed here, don't know, but haven't seen any posts about changing out worn wheel bearings or ball joints yet.

PS: Sorry, I wasn't sure the horse was quite dead yet. :D
Lol, I hear ya. Although, there will always be new P5 owners who become members of this board and even some new to SXS's that will always be learning and asking why. We have a couple members that are engineers that have explained this before. It's a marginal difference, and they have said to go ahead and use the spacers if that's what you want, but noted that offset wheels are a better option and why. As a statistical matter, you're adding components and the more components, the greater risk of failure. While it may be unusual, you can google UTV wheel spacer failures and find all kinds of stories of mishaps with them that you never see with offset wheels.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
When I first went to the 26" Bighorn 2.0 on factory rims I took some measurements, and gained almost 2" in height. That probably dropped a little when I adjusted the air pressure, but never did a re-measure and can't find the original data. Anyway, not all tires are exactly at their rated height.

26" Big Horn 2.0 on factory OEM wheels
To get rated height on tire
....must be max PSI

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

2"
On all corners

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!