P1000 2 part winch question??

kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Came across a site that has a Superwinch LT3000 on sale for $109 plus free shipping...would this be sufficient enough for a p1k5? I want to have enough to safely get me out if I happen to get stuck without overworking the winch......but I also don’t want to break the bank being that most of our riding is just basic trial riding...not much on mudding......2nd question is do most of you run your accessories on a 2nd battery or just use the 1 battery?

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I"ve got a Quadboss 5000 and it's pulled me nearly up a verticle slope, ask @Delton about it. I have one battery

Reactions: Delton
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Came across a site that has a Superwinch LT3000 on sale for $109 plus free shipping...would this be sufficient enough for a p1k5? I want to have enough to safely get me out if I happen to get stuck without overworking the winch......but I also don’t want to break the bank being that most of our riding is just basic trial riding...not much on mudding......2nd question is do most of you run your accessories on a 2nd battery or just use the 1 battery?
A 3k winch is better suited for an atv, you'll want a 4.5-5k for a full size utv imo.

I installed a second battery for all my accessories. I do not want to depend on one battery way away from camp. With only the factory battery, you will risk the clutches slipping if your voltage drops while winching.

J

JTW

Also.. you’re waaaay better off having a second battery setup or large under seat battery if you’re going to be winching much at all. You suck a lot of juice with these things.. it’s not like a 4 wheeler.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I feel a 3k would be too light. I have taxed my super terra 4500 pulling myself out of mud or others.

The only time my 4500 was on light duty was pulling 4 wheelers out.

I recommend a 2nd battery I have my winch wired to my stock battery. I was pulling myself out and dropped the voltage to low and lost functionality I thought I killed my Honda. I had to keep the revs above idle to continue winching.

Reactions: JTW
kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it fairly simple to add a 2nd battery? Would anybody have detailed instructions on how I would do this? I’d like to try it if it’s not too complicated rather than give my money to a dealer for an easy job.

J

JTW

Yes.. there are several existing threads on doing a dual battery system.. the search function is your friend!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree a 4500lb winch is as small as I would go. I also think it's always a good idea to consider a snatch block if you're really stuck. I typically run cable in nuetral at higher RPM and keep and eye on my voltage if winching under power and I haven't felt the need for a second battery. If you were winching under high load at low engine or for long durations a second battery may be a good idea.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it fairly simple to add a 2nd battery? Would anybody have detailed instructions on how I would do this? I’d like to try it if it’s not too complicated rather than give my money to a dealer for an easy job.

It is way easier than some make it out to be. I have it in my build thread but it’s not as detailed as you’re wanting, it’s more of an overview of what I did rather than how I did it because of how fast I was doing it.

It does include what I used so install manuals should be very easy to use and cross reference with what I did.

If you’ve got questions PM me

P1000m5 - Rock Donkey

Post 74

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I"ve got a Quadboss 5000 and it's pulled me nearly up a verticle slope, ask @Delton about it. I have one battery
That Quadboss is a nice winch. Quietest winch I've ever heard. I've stalled my Superwinch 45 in a couple of mudholes. Will probably go with that Quad next time around.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!