P500 2" Receiver

C

CURTK

Feb 25, 2017
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I don't care for the 1-1/4" receiver. Does anyone have a good idea for an aftermarket 2" receiver? I saw one on the Moose website but thought I'd bounce it off you guys. I don't get my p500 until next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't care for the 1-1/4" receiver. Does anyone have a good idea for an aftermarket 2" receiver? I saw one on the Moose website but thought I'd bounce it off you guys. I don't get my p500 until next week!

I don't know your reason behind not liking it, which is perfectly fine. But it is plenty strong. My largest load was about 400 pounds tongue weight and around 2600 pounds on a loaded trailer. With ease...

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500

Maybe get a 1.25" / 2" adapter.

And you don't always need a hitch to tow something. Pulled that dead car up a slight grade no problem at all!

PS: good decision getting a P5.
Al

Last edited:
C

CURTK

Feb 25, 2017
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I have 4 different hitches that will fit from my old Rincon. I guess the only failures I've read are the guys that hooked up plows to it. Maybe I'm assuming too much. Actually I wish I had it in my garage! LOL. The dealer had to order the winch and he's putting it on. Should be able to get it next Tues-Wed.

Reactions: William
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would suggest adding the Moose style hitch, or the one posted in the link above. They may be one in the same? I see a few problems with the stock design.

First I think they should have used a 2" receiver, as it's much more common, and could fit many more accessories including ball mounts you may already have.

Second, it's height is much lower than receivers on pick up trucks, thus making it much less universal for adapting to other trailers you might already have.

Third, and most importantly, the way the stock receiver is attached, is weak, and cannot withstand much tongue weight, without putting an upward or downward strain on the system. So the problem with the adaptor to fit a 1.25-2" receiver, extends it that much further out, causing a lot more leverage on it, if you overload it.

I'd suggest the aftermarket one, because it connects to 4 anchor points, making it much stronger, and it's not designed as the stock one, which leverage works against it much more. It's 2" making it much more universal, and it runs at a much better height to match trailers much better as well.

You could still have the stock one, available to connect to lower attachments, but I'd only use it to connect to really light loads.

C

CURTK

Feb 25, 2017
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I would suggest adding the Moose style hitch, or the one posted in the link above. They may be one in the same? I see a few problems with the stock design.

First I think they should have used a 2" receiver, as it's much more common, and could fit many more accessories including ball mounts you may already have.

Second, it's height is much lower than receivers on pick up trucks, thus making it much less universal for adapting to other trailers you might already have.

Third, and most importantly, the way the stock receiver is attached, is weak, and cannot withstand much tongue weight, without putting an upward or downward strain on the system. So the problem with the adaptor to fit a 1.25-2" receiver, extends it that much further out, causing a lot more leverage on it, if you overload it.

I'd suggest the aftermarket one, because it connects to 4 anchor points, making it much stronger, and it's not designed as the stock one, which leverage works against it much more. It's 2" making it much more universal, and it runs at a much better height to match trailers much better as well.

You could still have the stock one, available to connect to lower attachments, but I'd only use it to connect to really light loads.

Well said, Lonewolf. Thanks!

C

CURTK

Feb 25, 2017
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I found this version googling it and I like the extra support it has welded to it. The two sites had them both back ordered. Thanks for showing me your link!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
kenmo

kenmo

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2016
mayfield, ky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I made an adapter from 1 1/4 to 2". It worked perfect and also lifted the the receiver up about 3". The trouble with the 1 1/4 is most accessory's are 2". Ill try to send you a pic later.

Reactions: SORGuy and CURTK
D

Deleted member 3748

I made an adapter from 1 1/4 to 2". It worked perfect and also lifted the the receiver up about 3". The trouble with the 1 1/4 is most accessory's are 2". Ill try to send you a pic later.

The problem people are having with the factory hitch is when the use them with farm equipment that puts an upward force on the hitch. It breaks the hitch with ease. The price of the Moose hitch was almost $0 because I was able to reuse all of my F150 hitches like @lonewolf mentioned.

BBigredmonster

BBigredmonster

Nov 16, 2020
Moonshine
Ownership

1. 500
First official mod
2” receiver rear hitch. 30 minute install including getting tools out and putting tools away. Perfect fit. The supplied lower bolts are 10mm coarse thread. The factory nuts are fine thread. So had to find two nuts. No problem, always have nuts and bolts on the ranch. Winch, wheels n tires, rear box, gun n bow racks and windshield next. Covvid slowing the shipping.

FDAAE252 12B7 4407 9921 6206BEDD563A A769E500 A990 4C31 9A90 2E352444C04C 0E8B10EF 60EE 4421 A9F7 14C51073B9B4 E78048EB ACA7 46C4 8979 2A6DDEC2926D

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
You have done well. It would have taken me 20 minutes to find my tools, another 10 minutes to find the two 10X1.25 mm nuts, then 45 minutes and a 6 pack of beer to do the install. Retirement is underated. :) Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma.

DSG2

DSG2

Feb 10, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
New P500 owner. Just ordered this tonight. I was looking for a better option. Thanks for the thread.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
BBigredmonster

BBigredmonster

Nov 16, 2020
Moonshine
Ownership

1. 500
Plan was wheels and tires, plus winch

however around the ranch it’s been a great machine. May not trade out wheels and tires. Winch is in the mail. 2 inch receiver is a must for me moving trailers and stuff.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Never seem to do things like everyone else ---- 2in. Receiver included.
Home brew tri- level Receiver.
Bottom -- 1-1/4 multi use Pulling -- Double line on winch
Center --2in. Receiver Raised for Trailer Towing or -- Rear WINCH usage ( 2in.Receiver mounted WINCH pull & carry Ft. or Rear
Top 2in .Receiver multi purpose -- Rear Bumper -- Winch Carry -- 2in. Aluminum Carry All ( fold up style )

Included a picture of 90 degree Ft. 2in.Receiver WINCH mount & carry ( switch Ft bumper & WINCH for Winching ) uses a Kayak port cover on winch to keek it clean & ready.
Front & Rear bumpers , Trailer ball and the WINCH can be moved used & stored as needed.
WINCH powered by 2nd. yellow top Optima battery with Isolator & shutoff switch in the circuit.

Should be ready for anything comes my way with a little LUCK !
ON 2nd thought read my post TorQ Locker & Snow Tracks Nightmare

20200725 122904
. 20200725 122731 20200725 123945

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!