P1000 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Wont Stay Running

J

JCON157

Feb 18, 2018
Ochlocknee, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys,

I got a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5. After I crank it up it will run for a couple of seconds and shut off. Not throwing any codes. I changed the oil a while ago, just have not reset the icon.

Fuel injector circuit connectors are good.
New fuel
Air filter looks good.
Oil and transmission changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
How many miles? Has it been sitting with old gas?

You reported "new fuel." Did you drain and refill the tank or just top it off? Did you add fuel injector cleaner water dispersant?

If it sat idle for several months perhaps fuel tank and injectors were fouled by worthless ethanol and it needs to run all the bad fuel out and run on fresh, clean fuel with additives to clean it out.

We're seeing posts similar to yours about once a week. I suspect bad fuel every time and offer similar advice but we never received feed back from the owner telling us what he found.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JCON157

Feb 18, 2018
Ochlocknee, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many miles? Has it been sitting with old gas?

You reported "new fuel." Did you drain and refill the tank or just top it off? Did you add fuel injector cleaner water dispersant?

If it sat idle for several months perhaps fuel tank and injectors were fouled by worthless ethanol and it needs to run all the bad fuel out and run on fresh, clean fuel with additives to clean it out.

We're seeing posts similar to yours about once a week. I suspect bad fuel every time and offer similar advice but we never received feed back from the owner telling us what he found.
I run it twice a week at least riding fence, picking up pecan limbs, working food plots etc. The gas was probably a week old at the most.

Every post I saw was telling me to pull on the injector connectors. I pushed down in a rear motion on the rear connector and it shut off. (Like in the video TxDoc showed). Pulled the connector off redid the wiring and it is running great. Never gave a code though, must have been holding on just enough.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, you can't always know if those injector wires are bad just by tugging at them. Mine still looked OK after taking them out and replacing them, but it fixed the problem immediately.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I run it twice a week at least riding fence, picking up pecan limbs, working food plots etc. The gas was probably a week old at the most.

Every post I saw was telling me to pull on the injector connectors. I pushed down in a rear motion on the rear connector and it shut off. (Like in the video TxDoc showed). Pulled the connector off redid the wiring and it is running great. Never gave a code though, must have been holding on just enough.
Agreed. Clearly your engine shut off is not caused by bad fuel. My Pioneer is less than a year old and I haven't experienced problems with injector wires so I can't add anything to the discussion.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you been in deep water? Have you physically checked the fuel tank for water? Also look at the IACV for sticking from dirt or varnish buildup or a bad electrical connector at the IACV. I bought a used P1000-5 D 'Submarine", it had water in the tank and the IACV was contaminated with varnish and dirt ingestion. It would start, run or idle erratically and sometimes die when you tried to put it in gear. Also, it would just "Fade away" when accelerating through the gears and roll to a stop, DEAD just like it ran out of of fuel. Let is sit a few seconds and it would restart. Removed about a quart of water from the tank, relocated the fuel tank vent hose and cleaned the IACV. It has been a flawless 1200 miles since then.

Reactions: TripleB and HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Have you been in deep water? Have you physically checked the fuel tank for water? Also look at the IACV for sticking from dirt or varnish buildup or a bad electrical connector at the IACV. I bought a used P1000-5 D 'Submarine", it had water in the tank and the IACV was contaminated with varnish and dirt ingestion. It would start, run or idle erratically and sometimes die when you tried to put it in gear. Also, it would just "Fade away" when accelerating through the gears and roll to a stop, DEAD just like it ran out of of fuel. Let is sit a few seconds and it would restart. Removed about a quart of water from the tank, relocated the fuel tank vent hose and cleaned the IACV. It has been a flawless 1200 miles since then.
This is a valuable post. I agree with the request for you to start a build story that includes this post.

Reactions: mlynch001
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should make a build thread for your machine. I'd like to hear your story.
Dave,

I may do that. just never thought that it would be of interest. Here is my 2016 after I first got it back together and running right.

IMG 0458

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A rehabilitation and rescue is always an interesting story!

advertisement
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I need to write it up. I am not quite sure how to create a thread. But I will find out.

Reactions: TripleB
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here is my first try at a "Build Thread". LEt me know what you think.

My PIONEER 1000-5 Adventure.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!